MOTM Poll Rangers v Lyon - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its disappointing against a top side but not the end of the world. Lundstram looked decent in the holding midfield role second half. That's important because Davo really really needs a rest.
Kent really frustrates me when he comes short and loses the ball by trying to be too clever he does it all the time.
Our style of play needs an upgrade badly we have to play the ball on the ground into the channels more often and not always to feet. Top sides find this easy to play against and even SPFL teams have sussed us out.
As an add on Roofe has to play from the steart whenever he is fit IMO.

Lyon were the much better team. I don't think Gerrard got the initial team wrong but I think as per usual the in game management was shocking. Really bad in fact.

Balogun had a good game and for the most part so did Lundstram. Taking Davis off for Wright made no sense at all.

Hopefully our team can click some time soon as it just doesn't seem to be coming together at the moment but I am sure it will.

We'll not come up against many better teams that Lyon even if we do get out of this league.
Davis was very poor by his standards. Won’t be surprised if we hear he was carrying an injury going into the match. He can have no complaints at getting hooked.

Well beaten by a better team.
Something wrong with us though. Only against the time this season have we played high tempo, even then only in spells.

Is it too much disruption with covid, injuries etc, or just reached our level without more significant investment

I think we have regressed - you could see that during pre-season but we gave them the benefit of the doubt to get up to speed and that clearly hasn't happened. We are clearly playing in short bursts, that might be good enough in the SPFL but not at this level.

Borna offering nothing going forward and looking a weak link.
Midfield - offering nothing and being overrun at times. Still that lack of creativity.
Defence - now looking ropey.

None of these were concerns last season but they sure as hell are now.

We were outclassed unfortunately, but we seem to be regressing as a team. Morelos and Kent are shadows of the players they were last season, and we don't appear to have strengthened any of the first 11 players.
Morelos, Kent,Kamara, Goldson, heads half out the door, or heads been turned. Just my opinion. Delicate for Gerrard to get max out of guys who want to move on.

There is no doubt we have not quite reached last season's levels...but we were up against a quality team. I see can see Lundstrum taking over from Davies in due course.

That was poor. Yes, they were the better team but we should have done better. Fucking shite performance.

After going behind, we seemed to lack any game plan and were devoid of any ideas as to how to turn it around.

Onwards and Upwards :)

We haven’t kicked a ball all season have we ?

and this performance is embarrassing it’s half arsed and lack lustre much like every performance this season

my benchmark isn’t beating a shambolic Tim team

this team has been absolutely fantastic in Europe under Gerrard but after Malmö and tonight I’d say it’s time to worry
There's no tempo or pace to our game to many back passes to balls to the side no shutting down nobody to open teams up I hope Bacuna can do that but the boy at Red Star we should've taken a punt on him .

I know the whole Joey Veerman speculation has been done to death but I think we desperately need a player like him tonight and the board not speculating to accumulate has come back to bite us at this level. Let’s hope Bacuna can bring something different.
He's a prospect. Same as Wright . Huddersfield fans saying he was good 1/5 roughly. Nobody signed has improved or impacted on our team positively

Second best all over the park and bullied. Kent very poor, gave away possession at both goals. Needs dropped for a game or two

100% - I can’t think of many Lyon chances other than the wonder goal and defensive cock up that gifted them their 2nd?

I may be wrong, but I think we may have had more chances, albeit ours were more half chances apart from Kent’s shot in first half and Tav’s free kick?
We did have more chances and we are still a couple of levels off our best, we didn’t get a break the whole game and they conned the shit out of the officials.

They're a better team.
Better players, better physiques, more athletic, they looked driven to win tonight, better divers, certainly better defensively coached.

The 2 shots each on target and the results from them say a lot, in the context of our own forwards.
As a previous poster mentioned, we need to start getting goals from them.

I love Alfie and really rate him as a footballer.
But there are two things still clear from tonight -- we lack that midfielder to drive the team forwards and turn possession into attack; and, we still lack that sharp clinical goalscorer up front.

They were the two things that we wanted addressed in the summer and neither was.

That said, I thought Lundstram did pretty well (less lapses than most of the rest of his team-mates), and Sakala always seems to drag opposition defences about when he's on.

The way you can look at it is : how many of our players would get into their team ? Their squad even ? McGregor ??

We were well-beaten by a team that always looked as if they could have went up at least a gear if they had really needed to do so.
Some of our guys looked well out of it tonight.

Think our team needs freshened up. Not criticism just doesn't look like the team that was on fire last season looks as up for it. Leon are quality, but the few chances we created was poor. The job Gerrard has done has been excellent but there is only so much you can do with free transfers the times he has spent money have been few and far between. I know BB and Kent has a knock just hope they get back to thier brilliant best soon. Hurry up Hagi we miss you! Gutted

I cant agree with folk saying we lacked effort i thought our players gave it there all and just lacked a bit of quality up in the final third and even at times we played some decent stuff. Lyon are a very good side its done for me and on to sunday now

Honestly didn't think they were that good. Really poor from us, but not unexpected on current form. Was hoping this game could kick start the season
I have to agree. On paper they’re clearly a level above us, but actually tonight I didn’t think they were particularly impressive, certainly not the way Leverkusen were, or even Braga for the first hour at Ibrox.

We lacked inspiration and drive in midfield and a real cutting edge up front.

We need to accept where we are I guess.

Unable to afford to improve the starting eleven, this is kind of what happens.

Worryingly, we’ve now lost three of our last four European games at Ibrox.

Once more too cautious at home in a European tie and it allows the opposition to get easily settled into the game. That’s a regular feature of our home games now and we typically have to chase the game. Also we take the atmosphere right out of our own crowd with this tactic.

It would be much better if we went for a goal and then changed to a more defensive setup in my opinion. We seem to have it back to front in terms of using a home advantage that traditionally seen us taking bigger scalps in the home games.

Last edited:
SG says we showed we can compete at this level, i think we showed we can't. We haven't got enough quality to compete against champions league teams.

Mate it’s frying my brain! The amount of folk who are concerned! Concerned that we’re top of the table and even when injury ravaged and missing half the staff through covid, we still beat the scum. We got beat off the better team tonight that’s worth £300M, one of the favourites for the tournament, no shame in that. But the amount of folk going on as if this season has been a disaster so far is mind blowing.

if you think the start to season is suitable I suggest you look at following cricket or polo.
top of league , oh we beat the scum , how staunch you are , it’s been absolutely shite since start of the season with under performing players , poor recruitment and not looking like getting any better
don’t use Covid as an excuse everyone else has to get on with it.
try telling the board and shareholders it’s not been a terrible start. Its been a nightmare start

Too many players are off form at the same time and for their own reasons are turning in only fair performances.
We have to see where we are at the end of this period of the tournament and if we’re out SG may have to move 2-3 players out.

I think we’ll still win the league this year but there are players who unless they regain their form aren’t up to the Chsmpions League level.

As I said in another thread

Are Lyon very good team? Of course they are.

Can we compete with them more closely than we did tonight? Absolutely

So let's not kid ourselves on we were beaten before a ball was kicked by this "Champions League level team"

We could have competed, we might still have got beat, but we should have created more (and not lost two goals by being unable to control a ball/fannying around!)

I'm pretty disappointed overall. Our "key men" from last season haven't kicked their arse since early August (edit: prob mid-Feb to be honest!) - Barisic, Kamara, Kent, Morelos, not the performances they can give us at all!

We should have been better tonight. I hope this is the wake up call, but then I thought Malmo first leg was also....

Agree, 100%. I was happy to keep our top players but I would have sacrificed one top player to be able to upgrade the midfield.
Correct mate. That's common sense tho & the way we shld have done our business but nobody met our Valuations.
I think we have had the same squad for too long & we need to offload a few to get that desire back that's been missing this season

Back