MOTM Poll Rangers v Lyon - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if you think the start to season is suitable I suggest you look at following cricket or polo.
top of league , oh we beat the scum , how staunch you are , it’s been absolutely shite since start of the season with under performing players , poor recruitment and not looking like getting any better
don’t use Covid as an excuse everyone else has to get on with it.
try telling the board and shareholders it’s not been a terrible start. Its been a nightmare start
No worries mate, you do realise we won 14 games by 1 goal last season and people were saying the same then. I’d happily keep playing the way we are playing if the scum keep dropping points and we keep winning in the league. Europa, especially against Lyon, we can’t expect to win every game in it.

Lyon a good side and never looked in too much trouble tonight.

Balogun was fairly solid and Lundstram looked much better in Davis’ position.

Worst game Kamara has had in a long time. Fashion doesn’t have much of a touch or composure.

Not concered by that at all. They could have turned it up a couple of notches if they needed to. Just a level above.

We have not progressed since last year, that is a fact.
How could we?
You certainly don't strengthen by bringing in average players.
Which is what we did this summer.

At best we could hope to be the same, but we are not playing high tempo, high press, which worked so well for us last season.
And as a result we are too lethargic, compared to last season.

We will be fine in the league, but Europe I fear this season, as already has been proven, will be a struggle.

Lyon a good side and never looked in too much trouble tonight.

Balogun was fairly solid and Lundstram looked much better in Davis’ position.

Worst game Kamara has had in a long time. Fashion doesn’t have much of a touch or composure.
Kamara has yet to start the season imo. Can't really think of a game he's had yet where I've been impressed, apart from maybe vs the scum.

Well and truly beaten tonight.

I'm starting to think we peaked last season.

How we are playing is no different to pre season.

Going to be a long hard season.

Thankfully we are the best team domestically but that's like being told your getting a night with the hag! :(

I don't mind losing to good teams. Or even bad teams if they outperformed us. But to lose against those cheats really annoys me. I know they could've put in a higher performance and we were off our game but all the diving and rolling around properly gets on my tits. Ref buying it was disgraceful too. Hopefully Gerrard slams him in the post match.

Balogun had a really good performance and Lundstrums best game so far.
These two our best performers.
Stunning first goal and a bagatelle o.g. but that aside I didn’t think we played too badly against a quality team.
We are noticeably better when we press high but we seem to be unable to keep that going and when we subsequently drop deeper that’s when we look more vulnerable.
Didn’t think it was the Lyon controlled walkover as described by Rae and Craigan, but we need to be more clinical in front of goal.
Ref and officials would fit in well in Scotland.
Balogun MOM

Davis was awful, we brought on an Aberdeen player who has done nothing but give away free kicks. Sakala couldn't have been any more ineffective, very serious concerns about that guy as he has done fvck all since his arrival (don't fuckin dare say he scored v Real Madrid)!!

The whole performance was fvcking embarrassing and the fans were shit3 as well.
The team were fuckjng dead which was appropriate for playing in a morgue. Had to give up my tickets due to covid, so fuckin annoyed with the whole ball of wax tonight.
You've took that too far dude, dont agree.
If you toned it down about 75% you may have a point or two

Tonight's game was a shot at a good team who showed there quality and experience against us. No shame in that performance as everyone gave 100%

I'm still more concerned about the fact that in our league games this season we look devoid of creativity. I know we are top of the league but we hardly look like creating a chance.

if you think the start to season is suitable I suggest you look at following cricket or polo.
top of league , oh we beat the scum , how staunch you are , it’s been absolutely shite since start of the season with under performing players , poor recruitment and not looking like getting any better
don’t use Covid as an excuse everyone else has to get on with it.
try telling the board and shareholders it’s not been a terrible start. Its been a nightmare start
When SG said during the summer that he was excited talking to the board about transfer targets, I was expecting someone more impressive than Bacuna tbh.

I think Sakala and Lundstram will come good but they haven’t improved our starting 11 yet. We needed to sign a game changing midfielder and failure to do so will/has cost us at this level imo.

Sometimes you need to put your hands up and say we got beat by a better team.

But that doesn’t stop me being really disappointed in our performance.

That lot were in control throughout and they gave us an object lesson in ball retention.

Apart from kicking the ball out of the park a couple of times before they settled their possession was great while ours was pretty poor.

We defended poorly for the goals and were hesitant in attack. Mostly stuck to our tactic of going around them rather than through them and the delivery was just not good enough for that.

We started pressing high and then sat deeper. all in all we played into their hands.

They’ll be better in their own midden and their other main guys will be back so I think that’s another three points we can forget. We need to go some in the remaining four fixtures if we are to have any chance of qualifying. Last year I’d have expected us to have a good shot at that. This season we con’t seem able to get out of a slump.

And to put the cherry on the fcuking cake Steven Davis had just about the worst game I’ve seen from him in a Rangers jersey. (Not in anyway laying the blame at Davis’ door, there were a few that failed us.

We have already lost 1-0 to Dundee Utd this season.

Losing 2-0 to Lyon... is hardly anything to fret over.

They will be arguably be the best team we play... this season.

It is what it is.

When SG said during the summer that he was excited talking to the board about transfer targets, I was expecting someone more impressive than Bacuna tbh.

I think Sakala and Lundstram will come good but they haven’t improved our starting 11 yet. We needed to sign a game changing midfielder and failure to do so will/has cost us at this level imo.
He will be similar to Ojo

We're a team who rely on our fullbacks a lot as well as Kent. None of them are on form. Morelos is our main striker and my favourite player but is so far off what he offered last season that he should be dropped to the bench.

As for Lundstram? Far too slow to be playing at this level. Some players can get away with that by being quick in the head (anticipation) but that's not him.

Davis and Lundstram in the same Midfield is a disaster. Davis looked every bit the senior pro today.

Lyon are two levels above where we are. An excellent team with pace, power and agility all through the ranks.

I just wish we had a bit more "get in about it" to us, too scared to get forward and support, Midfield not getting ahead of the ball...

The fact is that if we want to level up, we need serious investment and the likes of Lundstram, wright, Davis, aribo need replaced with genuine quality.
Good post

Lundstram cost us the first goal and SG agreed in his interview. We were just unlucky for the second goal as Tav could not get out way of the ball.
For the second half I would have started with Roofe, Wright and Patterson with Tav, Davis and Morelos off.
We must get our work rate up as Lyon worked much harder than us. When they attacked they had plenty up in our box but they also got back fast to defend.
However we can beat the other two teams which would put us through but we will need to up our game and start scoring.
Maybe we have one or two who know they will start and are not at the same level as last season.

I worry that some of the players having climbed the mountain last season have decided to relax a bit while they look at their next move. I'm thinking of Barasic, Aribo &, Kamara who have all looked off the pace.

Unfortunately we just have to hold our hands up and say we were well beaten

We are nowhere near the level we were at last year. If it is the case that some players heads are elsewhere, it’s unacceptable they are in the team.

Mon Rangers, get back on song starting on Sunday.

Well beaten by a good team. We've been toiling since we secured the league last season,
Our summer recruitment is really concerning. We are still relying on the same players in games.

How could we?
You certainly don't strengthen by bringing in average players.
Which is what we did this summer.

At best we could hope to be the same, but we are not playing high tempo, high press, which worked so well for us last season.
And as a result we are too lethargic, compared to last season.

We will be fine in the league, but Europe I fear this season, as already has been proven, will be a struggle.

We could have by bringing in 1 quality player

Between January and the summer we brought in about 5 average joes

Correct mate. That's common sense tho & the way we shld have done our business but nobody met our Valuations.
I think we have had the same squad for too long & we need to offload a few to get that desire back that's been missing this season
Agree, 100%. Souness would always freshen up the squad to keep everyone on their toes and no one was an automatic pick.

With regards to clubs not meeting our valuation of our players, do you think that will change if we win the league again?

Celtic still get decent money for their players but we don’t seem to be able to attract the “too good to turn down” bids for our players. Do you think that is due to our recent history of climbing up divisions again?

This model of buying low and selling high needs to start paying off but I’m happy to wait until next summer to do that tbh.

My fears of last season just being a case of players rising to levels to stop the ten were blown away when we beat the manks but it is a wee bit concerning now.

I expect a reaction on Sunday against Motherwell as to be fair that’s a Champions League level team and we are a Europa League level team as it stands.

A lot of players are off form and it was a poor transfer window. Add to that I think a few player are looking for a move so it all adds up to.
It is my own personal opinion but I fail to see why joe aribo is in the team. He contributes nothing. A lazy luxury we can’t afford in our team.

Just in from the game. I felt Lyon were a very very good team. Well drilled and more pace than us in pretty much every position.

They also were very disciplined, they didn’t ever really over commit like the Braga’s and Benfica’s of this world. Any time they lost possession they kept a good shape.

We weren’t our best tonight but felt we still had a few decent chances. Their first goal was a wonder strike and felt we were unlucky with the 2nd.

Not happy about result obviously but can accept defeat to a team who were a level above. On to Sunday now.

Tonight is sadly what I expected. Lyon are a good side and were far better than we were in and out of possession.

I cannot believe so many on here think this will be an easy group to get out off. If we were playing at the same level as last year or the first five months of the season before that then I would be confident of qualifying (we would also have given Lyon a far tougher game tonight) but we are nowhere near finding that level of form this season.

I hope we start to pick up soon as otherwise even domestically we are in for a very bumpy ride. The next three games in the Europa will determine how we finish but i am not overly confident unless we start to find some form.

Ryan kent hasnt started this season well but he still ordinari;y far more cretaive than anyone else so we are goinmg to miss him for a few weeks you would think.

Though Balogun was steady again tonight and Lundstram was actually ok as well but far too many underperformers.

Flag day on sunday so hopefully that gives us a lift but in truth I expect another tough game and probably a slog.

I think both will prove to be decent additions, but they 100% will not ever improve our starting line-up. A really, really poor summer window.

Agree, 100%. Souness would always freshen up the squad to keep everyone on their toes and no one was an automatic pick.

With regards to clubs not meeting our valuation of our players, do you think that will change if we win the league again?

Celtic still get decent money for their players but we don’t seem to be able to attract the “too good to turn down” bids for our players. Do you think that is due to our recent history of climbing up divisions again?

This model of buying low and selling high needs to start paying off but I’m happy to wait until next summer to do that tbh.
The issue we have with our player valuations is they have the Mhedia & their pals bumping up their players but also downplaying ours.
If more so called Rangers men stood up for the Club in that sense then we would get there

We’re top of the table after 5 games therefore all is well.

Also won 1 European game in 5 barely creating a chance.
We are top of the table in a tinpot league where the standard is utterly woeful we’re not playing well we have players off form and we’re very predictable to watch, Lyon were a step too far tonight no harm in that however if we don’t improve our performances we won’t get out the group or win the league this season . We need a massive improvement in performances and a general brightness and enthusiasm added to our play

Looked to me that Lyon were playing well within themselves with one eye on their game with PSG at the weekend.
Lets face it, we haven't progressed on from last season and look stale and one dimensional with a good few out of form. This is what happens when you run with basically the same squad and a couple of mediocre additions.

We were up against a very good side, but at times we played well, and on another night might have got a goal and asked a question of Lyon.

Back