Match Thread Rangers v NK Osijek - Thursday 19:45 - Premier Sports/RangersTV.tv

Made it a lot harder than it should have been .need to kill teams off ,players worked their socks off tonight great high pressing and hopefully with more games then the players will get an understanding of each other

Never got to see the game so have read through this thread. Fucking hell the few pages even had me nervous and I was only reading the posts

Made it a lot harder than it should have been .need to kill teams off ,players worked their socks off tonight great high pressing and hopefully with more games then the players will get an understanding of each other

We could have put 3 or 4 past them tonight, had our luck been better we would have beaten them comfortably.

A few scares though at the same time.

But we were superior, by a reasonable margin.

Thought Ryan Jack was MOTM. Controlled everything in the middle and was impactful going forward.

Other highlights were:
McGregor - solid
Katic and Goldson combo - Very quietly confident.
Coulibaly - Looks like he needs a bit of sharpness, but a hell of a player in there.
Morelos - Lively
Candeias - Workhorse

Slight disappointments:
Kent - A lot of nice touches but couldn't complete moves on too many occasions.
Ejaria - Gave the ball away entirely too much. I would have had him off at half-time. Young player, so time for improvement.

All-in-all, that was 1-1 going-on 4-0. We need to take our chances or as we saw late, we could be punished. Don't need the higher heart rate in injury time, when we've had so many chances to put the tie away.

Said in my post I would take a draw but somehow a bit disappointed we did not hold out for the win. That team are no mugs and they put a lot into the game so happy we are through. I don't think Maribor will be any more difficult but we must start scoring.

Also through to 3rd qualifying round: Hibs, Hajduk Split (who lost to Osijek 4-1), and Progres!

A good all round performance, but we just have to get someone to play up front with Morelos. We are using him as a workhorse, he ran himself into the ground for the cause tonight.

Just in

That was 1-1 going on 4-2

How they got a draw is beyond me, still lots of work to be done by the Gaffer and most of it up front.

I’m still not overly convinced with Flanagan at left back although his defending is sound

Losing the goal won't have done us any harm. Dont want the players getting complacent
It was bound to happen losing a goal sooner or later and although is was a more stressed last 4 minutes or so we got what we deserved and went through, better to get the not losing a goal out of our system and if the players learn from it so much the better.

Easy in the end. Well done Teddy Bears!

Guessing their goal was given as an OG? It looked like it took more hits than a pinball on its way to the goal.

Just back in the local. Enormously happy we're through, though they made us sweat for those 4 extra minutes. It brings home to me again that we must do better in the away leg, one goal was just enough this time, it may not be against Maribor. Regardless, I'm proud of my team tonight. WATP!

Delighted to be through. We were the better Team and deserved it. Still need to make more those half chances, but prior to this round I didn't expect us to do it and it has been a pleasant suprise. Gerrards substitutions were strange and Windass for Candeias lost us that protection which ultimately cost us the win. Onwards and upwards. Well done lads.

There is still a long way to go, but what an improvement already on the dross from last season. Morelos gets pelters at times for his misses, but his hold up is excellent and sometime he’s is left on his own to make his own chances. Ryan Jack was great tonight and I’m so happy with our two centre halves. McGregor makes me feel more secure. It didn’t happen tonight for one or two but overall I’m delighted, apart from their goal

Great result but the overall performance tonight wasn’t great. Look brilliant defensively into midfield but everything in the final third looks really disjointed. Hopefully this will improve as the players develop an understanding.

Delighted to be in the next round. Bring on Aberdeen

A good all round performance, but we just have to get someone to play up front with Morelos. We are using him as a workhorse, he ran himself into the ground for the cause tonight.

No we don't. Another striker leaves us short somewhere else. What we need is Morelos to start scoring regularly. If he can't do that we need to replace him.

A bit of a nervy game at times but we definitely deserved to go through. I thought both Jack and Morelos were absolutely superb and was impressed with Candeias', Kent and McGregor's performances as well. Slightly disappointed at the goal conceded but still a great result against what was a good team. Bring on Maribor (and the Sheep).

Going to try tonight - will report back

Had to watch on my Surface Pro directly - chromecast to TV kept freezing

Anyway good result and very happy, also the RTV coverage cut off at 90 mins without any post match analysis, is this typical for RTV on pay as you go?

Just in

That was 1-1 going on 4-2

How they got a draw is beyond me, still lots of work to be done by the Gaffer and most of it up front.

I’m still not overly convinced with Flanagan at left back although his defending is sound
Is that the main objective of a full back ?

good performance without taking total dominance and not taking chances

Mcgregor 9 - immense with some amazing saves

Tav 7 - did well with none of the usual slackness
Goldson 8 - strolled it, a presence
Katic 7 - couple of slack moments early but terrific once settled in and took goal well
Flanagan 5 - ok but caught on heels a lot

Jack 8 - brilliant game
Koulibaly 6 - quietly effective but suffered after being clattered
Ejaria 7 - great touches and control but too eager to make a flick happen

Candieas 7 - work his socks off and made a lot of good runs and crosses
Morelos 8 - never gave up, unlucky not to score as he deserved it
Kent 6 - some good runs without the end product, should've went at them more as he was drawing fouls

Arfield 4 - great work in a short time
Windass 2 - no time to be effective but held the ground when we needed calmness instead of gung ho, almost sealed it with a good shot
Halliday 1 - no time

final third slightly off but a lot was more down to luck or their keeper
defensively solid for the most part
game management was almost spot on - knew how to draw the game out at the end

Just home and very satisfied with that. Was a very hard fought game, but we were the better team over the two legs. Once we start to click going forward we're going to spank a few sides. Centrebacks and shagger were excellent. Fullbacks did well, and it was notable how few crosses they got in from the right tonight, with Candeias grafting away in front of Tav. Jack - who I have to confess I've not been the biggest fan of - was excellent tonight. Coulibaly was quietly effective and Ejaria has the ability to open teams up. I think there's lots more to come from those two though. Our wide guys and Alfredo ran themselves into the ground. Arfield looked assured and once back to match fit I think will start before Ejaria. Windass looked a bit of a lost soul tonight (especially getting off the park ASAP after the final whistle), but was unlucky not to score.

Overall a good professional, solid performance which was hard-earned against a team that would do well in the SPFL. Thought we were worthy of another goal, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Through to the next round and more to come from us.

(literally just hearing on Radio 2 about the stabbings tonight as I was about to hit post reply, hope all bears are safe)

Just home and very satisfied with that. Was a very hard fought game, but we were the better team over the two legs. Once we start to click going forward we're going to spank a few sides. Centrebacks and shagger were excellent. Fullbacks did well, and it was notable how few crosses they got in from the right tonight, with Candeias grafting away in front of Tav. Jack - who I have to confess I've not been the biggest fan of - was excellent tonight. Coulibaly was quietly effective and Ejaria has the ability to open teams up. I think there's lots more to come from those two though. Our wide guys and Alfredo ran themselves into the ground. Arfield looked assured and once back to match fit I think will start before Ejaria. Windass looked a bit of a lost soul tonight (especially getting off the park ASAP after the final whistle), but was unlucky not to score.

Overall a good professional, solid performance which was hard-earned against a team that would do well in the SPFL. Thought we were worthy of another goal, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Through to the next round and more to come from us.

(literally just hearing on Radio 2 about the stabbings tonight as I was about to hit post reply, hope all bears are safe)

edit

What was the deal with with the Stewards in the Main Stand, seems they blocked off a couple of dozen seats for no apparent reason.

We beat the club that knocked out PSV Eindhoven (who went on to win the Dutch Championship) last season. On top of that, this club comes from a country that made this year's World Cup Final. We are heading in the right direction.

We're not scoring enough goals. Better defensively but most 'good' teams are capable of scoring against the opposition. Tonight, showed we are vulnerable if we can't outscore the opposition. I very much hope the gaffer is not trying to turn us into a 'hard to beat' team scoring occasional goals on the break (Morellos), I hope we can put two up front and make this a scoring team (again).

Back