MOTM Poll Rangers v PSV Eindhoven - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was at a work meeting (in the pub) and had the game on my phone and was watching as much as I could.

From that, I thought we had the better first half, could've been a couple up; in the second, looked like psv were much more in the game, our second came against the run of play, and in the end a draw was fair.

Bt sports highlights seemed to confirm this.

Anybody care to give a more accurate assessment?

Have to say, think there'll be goals there...wouldn't be surprised if it goes to extra time tbh

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but where is Yilmaz? £5m on a new left back and Barisic still ahead o him?

I was at a work meeting (in the pub) and had the game on my phone and was watching as much as I could.

From that, I thought we had the better first half, could've been a couple up; in the second, looked like psv were much more in the game, our second came against the run of play, and in the end a draw was fair.

Bt sports highlights seemed to confirm this.

Anybody care to give a more accurate assessment?

Have to say, think there'll be goals there...wouldn't be surprised if it goes to extra time tbh
Sounds about right. Could have been a lot different if we weren't so bad at defending corners of course.

We really need to tighten up at set pieces as once again it was woeful defending.One of game now so it certainly not beyond us.

PSV 2 corners, 2 goals. All that hard work undone by us against a very good dutch team. Goldson at fault for both goals. We did well to come back and lead against a dominant PSV 2nd half. We lost it in midfield. Therein lies our frailties. Tillman played well, but twice thru’ and Colak free, yet the young ex-Bayern didn’t look up. That has to change. It shows we are not yet up to speed and realistically, it will be extremely difficult to turn this round. Imo, this reflects the need to concentrate on the League campaign this season and win it to go straight into the CL. Still miffed we let the tärriers off the hook and handed the CL on a plate. Yet miracles can still happen in Eindhoven. We’d have to be at Dortmund level to see this one through.

the good points

Borna and Kent in the 1st half
Sands was ok
Colak deadly and worked them hard
Tillman was causing them all sorts of issues
Lawrences work rate
Davis until the almost-blunder, classy
Kents run near the end

negatives

Goldson sloppy at times
Tav (1st goal apart) way down on usual levels
Lundstram just not his usual self - more noticable when Davis started to struggle
Davis post-blunder, struggled to get back into the game
Kamara - still looks like he's going thru the motions
Wright - waste of a sub

oh and the referee - tho not quite last weeks donkey - was stinking too
their No 6 should've been booked early doors leaving him on a tightrope, given license to kick after that
how de Jong stayed on is a mystery - warned "no more" with Goldson in the handbags that he initiated - Goldson was booked for his 1st foul after that later on, de Jong committed about 10 fouls inc some that might have deserved a yellow, only booked later than Goldson

far too lenient on them - they're essentially a skilful 3 with Veerman and the 2 wingers and the rest are thugs
he also seemed to just decide not to give Colak anything

De Jong should have been sent off.

Should have seen yellow for the shirt pull on Goldson in the first half and went on to commit several fouls before he was finally booked in the second half.

They would have been a man down and he would also miss next week’s game.

Just reading the PSV forum and the tie is over they reckon.

Predictions of 4 and 5 nil lol.

I look forward to them crying next week about us playing "physical football" as we pap them out

the good points

Borna and Kent in the 1st half
Sands was ok
Colak deadly and worked them hard
Tillman was causing them all sorts of issues
Lawrences work rate
Davis until the almost-blunder, classy
Kents run near the end

negatives

Goldson sloppy at times
Tav (1st goal apart) way down on usual levels
Lundstram just not his usual self - more noticable when Davis started to struggle
Davis post-blunder, struggled to get back into the game
Kamara - still looks like he's going thru the motions
Wright - waste of a sub

oh and the referee - tho not quite last weeks donkey - was stinking too
their No 6 should've been booked early doors leaving him on a tightrope, given license to kick after that
how de Jong stayed on is a mystery - warned "no more" with Goldson in the handbags that he initiated - Goldson was booked for his 1st foul after that later on, de Jong committed about 10 fouls inc some that might have deserved a yellow, only booked later than Goldson

far too lenient on them - they're essentially a skilful 3 with Veerman and the 2 wingers and the rest are thugs
he also seemed to just decide not to give Colak anything
I'd add barisic into the negatives.

Pretty good first half but got worse with every passing second 2nd half.

We are still in the tie
The following needs to happen for us to go through
Lundstrum needs to lead - similarly Tav and Goldson. Our newbies will need support.
Lawrence needs to play well again for the full 90/120
We mustn’t concede early.- a part of me has the fear that the game could run away from us if we do.
2-2 is in one way a better result than a narrow lead- we have to wrestle the momentum from them and attempt to win the game rather than try to defend and just allow them the ball.
If this game had came around in two months time I would be more confident

I thought overall we played well enough against a good team.
We were certainly better in 1st half when kent and barisic were at it on the left. kent then seemed to disappear before a good wee run towards the end. barisic seemed to have an attack of nerves at some point in the 2nd half.

Poor to lose 2 goals from corners, especially the 2nd one.

I think we had to take a lead into the 2nd leg to have a chance. not writing us off but it will be a tough one to go through now.

Strange feeling after that result.
Bit of a sore 1 to draw after seeing their 2nd goal again, sloppy defending from us but a draw is probably a fair result.
Not going to be easy over there though. PSV are a good side, but it's all equal at 1/2 time.

Ironic we lost two goals to highballs into the box when we spent most of the night firing highballs at them without threatening. When we did have a direct strike, even their woman's keeper wouldnt have been troubled. Still, didnt lose I suppose which is always pretty vital in European first legs. Must be more clinical with chances second leg, and get wide players into the box with the ball at their feet.

Only had access to the highlights of the game.
Looked like Goldson was at fault for both goals:
- 1st headed it down the way
- 2nd lost his man
Am I missing something the highlights aren't showing?

I think we were always going to need to score away from home so 2-1, 2-2 doesn't make a lot of difference. We will need to have a more defensive set up and take our chances when they come, as they will, I’m going 1-2 to us out in cloggy land!

Yilmaz has disappeared for a reason. Borna will be number 1 in that role unless they can physically build yilmaz up. Borna was excellent tonight.
I'm pretty sure RW & GVB knew his size and stature, and I'm sure we didn't pay the sort of money we did, to let him sit on the sidelines until he's been in the gym for a year.

why was lundstram taking the ball from the defence at the halfway line and always playing it straight back to them ? it was putting us under pressure all the time .Why do the midfield not turn with the ball, only Tillman seems capable of doing it

Only had access to the highlights of the game.
Looked like Goldson was at fault for both goals:
- 1st headed it down the way
- 2nd lost his man
Am I missing something the highlights aren't showing?
No, he had a troubled game....and he was turned a few times, too many for comfort. I like the big man, I really do, but I've never been able to work out whether he's not quite good enough or its just that he doesn't have a CD partner he can trust.

Beforehand I would have taken a draw and didn't think we'd be able to get better than a 1 goal win. Bit unlucky not to be ahead at half time.

I watched the full highlights of PSV's home leg v Monaco and their defence was torn apart several times with Monaco having more of the game according to the match stats. So let's hope they ship chances again next week. They might also be a bit nervier in front of their own fans, especially if we can score first.

Their weekend rest gives them an advantage but it's effectively like a 1 game cup final now so anything can happen.
McCoist commented on the Dutch FA helping PSV. "Thats not going to catch on....." said the one man who know the leanings of the SFA/SPFL better than most !!

I’m still quietly confident.

I still feel their defence is the weakest part of their game. They will open up more at home and I am supremely confident we will score over there.

All to play for

Was trying to find the funny insults thread in The Lounge, but this will have to do.

Stood in the Club Deck pissers on Tuesday waiting for a space at the urinal. Guy turns to his pal and says:

"You need tae lay aff that gear man, yer tadger looks lit a budgie's tongue".

:D

In Eutopia we will draw the game win on penalties. Finish 3rd in our group Drop into Europa League, win that and the league and qualify for the CL next season

As you probably know that Ajax and Rangers have a long time friendship between our clubs and I want to tell you that PSV is very strong at home, but especially when you let them counter attack, they love reaction football. Hope not playing this weekend in the league will backfire and Rangers will be on top at the end. Remember, Luuk de Jong is among the players with the most headed goals in the 21st century! For the most part he is a sh#t footballer, avoid corners. Have a great match I will cheer you on Wednesday. Greetings from the best club in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Back