MOTM Poll Rangers v PSV Eindhoven - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact our transfer dealings in CH’s has been abysmal doesn’t mean Goldson hasn’t cost us yet again. It means that those at the club who should have been able to see how poor he is in big games have failed in their duty to replace him. Souttar being a particularly daft digning with his injury record, ditto Helander.

The club have painted themselves into a corner by not recruiting a replacement and by not selling him on 12 months ago when they had the chance. The UEL final and tonight might see his mistakes being directly responsible for us failing to qualify for UCL. Not a good record and not one which should see him remain at the club but unfortunately our recruitment has been so poor we’ve effectively made him undroppable. It’s a terrible and frustratingly avoidable situation.
While I don't dispute goldson has mistakes in him.
I do find it harsh to destroy a guy that has massively helped get us to an unexpected euro final. and I also get should be criticised for the same game

Given finances who would be looking to get in to improve a uel final team ?

Not having a go at you but unfortunately available money has a massive bearing on our signings.

I thought he was pretty good, best we've seen in a long time.
Let a lot of barges into the back go - especially to Tillman. Didn't book the guy for a swipe at Lawrence and then his second would have been a red.

Didn't go and look at the hand ball.

Phuckin hell

ffs Davis' first touch to Tav sets up Colack for our goal... get a fekin grip!!!
One thing in the whole game.the 2nd half he kept giving the ball away and in the first half when he received the ball instead of looking up and seeing our left back free all he did was pass it to goldson or sands who then passed it to Barasic. He was a great player in his day but that day has passed. He slows the game down

On paper a draw against PSV is a decent result but in a 2 leg tie where the 2nd leg is away from home it leaves us in a very difficult position.

Thought the lack of subs was weird again. No idea why he’s bringing Wright on ahead of Matondo or Arfield. Colak was excellent but it would have been worth throwing Alfie on for the last 10 at least to give their defenders a different problem.

After they equalised it looked like we were just happy to take the draw which going by Gio’s away record is a very dangerous game.

Will go into next week very hopeful but not confident at all.

On paper a draw against PSV is a decent result but in a 2 leg tie where the 2nd leg is away from home it leaves us in a very difficult position.

Thought the lack of subs was weird again. No idea why he’s bringing Wright on ahead of Matondo or Arfield. Colak was excellent but it would have been worth throwing Alfie on for the last 10 at least to give their defenders a different problem.

After they equalised it looked like we were just happy to take the draw which going by Gio’s away record is a very dangerous game.

Will go into next week very hopeful but not confident at all.
Exactly my thoughts. 100%

Defensively very poor in and out of possession. Their right back was the weak link and done nothing to capitalize on it. Kent is never going to the EPL their left back playing out of position absolutely schooled him and Gio went conservative and kept the draw to not lose instead of rolling the dice with Morelos.
Apart from that all good :)

He defends like a fecking fairy at times.Gets on my bloody nerves .
Just attack the bloody ball for heavens sake .He didn't even jump for the seceond one . :mad:
We are really poor on crosses since the start of last season .
On a brighter note ,well done Borna .seems to be back to his best form or near it and Sands covers some ground but plays some real suicide balls at times and put Borna in a spot on a few occassions.
Sometimes its ok just to punt it up the park and take the pressure off .
We are well in this tie and certainly capeable of winning over there .
Barisic was fine except for a 10 minute spell in the second half where he totally lost the plot. Panic sets in and he plays like a 5 year old. At one point he wandered over to the right side of the pitch leaving their right winger in 40 yards of space. It was a miracle we didn’t concede a goal from that move. He’s just not good enough at that level. As soon as Yilmaz is up to speed Borna is history I’m afraid.

On the balance of it, 2-2 a fair result.
Think they had 2 x 10/15 minute spells of being on top and we had same. Even when "on top" neither side crafted out too much.

I thought one of Lundstrams quieter games, for a spell didn't even remember he was on park - again, could always be different seeing at the ground.
Sands wasn't bad, but I look forward to Davies being up to speed as feel like we lose balance when building from back and ball always on Sands' wrong side.
Colak done well I thought, once again getting criticism purely for not being Alfie - I think both the team and the fans need to realise he is a different style of player.

Two very, very weak goals to concede. Not just for next week, but we need to improve as a whole on set-plays.

All talk pre-match about this was of the winger and Veerman; for me the big #6 in middle of park was MoTM. Super game.

I’m very confident we’ll score next Wednesday, however I’m fairly sure they’ll score as well.
I can see it going to 2-2 after 90 then extra time

I’m very confident we’ll score next Wednesday, however I’m fairly sure they’ll score as well.
I can see it going to 2-2 after 90 then extra time

Both games looked as if they could go either way at the outset so it is all up for grabs. Penalty kicks would surprise no-one.

We are well in this tie.

I don't think we can have much to complain about a 2-2 draw against a very good PSV.
They also missed two big chances which on another night could have finished this tie off. We go next week and try to get Kent against there weak link, the right back.
All to play for as they say.

I don't think we can have much to complain about a 2-2 draw against a very good PSV.
They also missed two big chances which on another night could have finished this tie off. We go next week and try to get Kent against there weak link, the right back.
Thought the big RB played Kent extremely well. Granted Kent isn’t fit and firing but the defender deserves some credit for in the main nullifying him bar maybe 2 great solo runs

The RB strolled it. The dyed blonde dude at LB was their weak link although he should have scored or won a penalty.

and you thought Barasic who allowed a guy to get in 4 crosses in the first half the best player.

Place is full of numpties

The defence trying to play out from the back looked like fish out of water. Barasic seemed the most composed until taking a shy.

Goldson getting the blame for the 2nd is crazy. I have plenty of concerns about Goldson, but he can't mark them all by himself. Kamara should have been charged for admission. He just stood and let attackers run past him.

The funny thing about zonal defending, particularly in the UK, is that we don't like nor understand it.

Talk of players letting someone get the run on them, or watching someone move past them, is exactly the issue I have with zonal defending. That player "getting the run" on one of our guys isn't doing that, our mans defending a zone not marking the player.

I am not a fan of it, and Gio needs to change it up ASAP for me. Too many conceded this way already.

Only Colak and McLaughlin excelled for me, the rest decent. Davis selection didn't work at all but we have a fighting chance and I really liked our goal. We still give away cheap goals from crosses, when will we sort this out? Not just Goldson but the whole organisation when a cross comes in. In 1978 we drew at home v PSV and beat them away, here's hoping for a repeat.

Going to be very difficult now. But the lack of away goals is a blessing. If you have to go there chasing the game, it’s an uphill struggle.

Kicking off the tie level….we’re underdogs, but it’s still possible. I will still dream for the next 8 nights
yip ,no away goals is a leveler and its more or less cup final mode .Keep believing :)

And Tav only got 28!
:eek:
I actually thought to give my vote to Borna, as much because I am absolutely sick of the negativity and groans. He passed the ball to McLaughlin because not one person shows an angle…no Tillman, no Lundstram nobody!
Kent actually had a one v one in their half and went all the way back home and not a peep from the boo boys. It’s disgusting at times when you think we all actually want to win and for players to do well.
Both full backs were again our best and only outlet at times and sometimes just based on determination to break lines and overlap.
Tav, Davis and their No.6 were class apart tonight

Absolute crap. Sands was easily our most accomplished defender tonight. Physically weak? Give it a rest.
He is, psv managed the game play 2nd half to make sure the game was played by sands and borna away from our right. They will target it again next week. They will get the striker to go straight on Goldson to force it that way again.

He is, psv managed the game play 2nd half to make sure the game was played by sands and borna away from our right. They will target it again next week. They will get the striker to go straight on Goldson to force it that way again.
Sands did win some headers against big De Jong and done the composed side well.
Perhaps in the middle of a 3 with Davies next week?

The funny thing about zonal defending, particularly in the UK, is that we don't like nor understand it.

Talk of players letting someone get the run on them, or watching someone move past them, is exactly the issue I have with zonal defending. That player "getting the run" on one of our guys isn't doing that, our mans defending a zone not marking the player.

I am not a fan of it, and Gio needs to change it up ASAP for me. Too many conceded this way already.
Why do almost every team go zonal?

Gives players responsibilities for their area that they should defend like their life’s depends on it. Goldson and Tillman didn’t.

Just got back to the hotel. Enjoyed some moments when you were singing massively and the ground was shaking. Not sure why there was no ‘storm’ from your team and/or you at the beginning of the game, to put max pressure on PSV tho?

2-2 is a fair result, even though Benitez blunder is incredible, and we could have scored at least 1 more. I expected more of Rangers game tonight, but maybe it was the pressure.

I think PSV will finish fhis off now in Eindhoven, and prepare for a lively atmosphere there :)

Why do almost every team go zonal?

Gives players responsibilities for their area that they should defend like their life’s depends on it. Goldson and Tillman didn’t.
Does seem the latest fad in football I think.

I hate it. I agree with what you're saying in principle about giving people a zone to defend and then doing it, but when a player runs between two zones who gets him? And we don't have a couple of (dare I say it) Katic like bruts who will clear everything to get to that ball.

*Katic is not the answer to our problems.

Barisic was fine except for a 10 minute spell in the second half where he totally lost the plot. Panic sets in and he plays like a 5 year old. At one point he wandered over to the right side of the pitch leaving their right winger in 40 yards of space. It was a miracle we didn’t concede a goal from that move. He’s just not good enough at that level. As soon as Yilmaz is up to speed Borna is history I’m afraid.
Yilmaz has disappeared for a reason. Borna will be number 1 in that role unless they can physically build yilmaz up. Borna was excellent tonight.

Tough game. Elite team with some elite players.

Rangers missing vital ingredients. Some through fitness some through player sales and new players not up to speed.

Draw was fair.

Felt game awareness was a bit lacking and PSV were sterner where it mattered.

All to play for. But we have to be smarter.

Beforehand I would have taken a draw and didn't think we'd be able to get better than a 1 goal win. Bit unlucky not to be ahead at half time.

I watched the full highlights of PSV's home leg v Monaco and their defence was torn apart several times with Monaco having more of the game according to the match stats. So let's hope they ship chances again next week. They might also be a bit nervier in front of their own fans, especially if we can score first.

Their weekend rest gives them an advantage but it's effectively like a 1 game cup final now so anything can happen.

and you thought Barasic who allowed a guy to get in 4 crosses in the first half the best player.

Place is full of numpties
I didn’t say he was the best player, but he was far better than Tav and Goldson.

Disagreeing with someone doesn’t make them a numpty. It’s a discussion board, keep your primary school level insults to yourself.

Saw that myself and I wondered how in the hell they had that much space. Incredible.

Back