MOTM Poll Rangers v Sparta Prague - 20:00 Thursday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed we are nowhere near the elite but on the evidence of what we've just watched we are a level or two above Sparta. Both McCoist and Weir saying more or less the same thing now as well. It's about making progress in Europe and being even 10% more clinical in front of goal when chances present themselves helps this Rangers team enormously imo.
Fair enough mate, but we wanted to win by 2 goals, we did and for a change kept a clean sheet.

I'm not getting carried away by any means. We must remember that we were knocked out by the Czechs last season, lost to this team earlier, who also swatted aside the tims last season.

I suppose what I'm saying is, when we play against teams like this, I expect them to have their moments in a game. They may not be up there with the best, but they're no mugs at the same time.

I was a bit worried about tonight if I'm honest. Just glad that GvB got off to a positive start.

Great result after a poor start to the group stage. We could’ve won by a bigger margin but will take 2-0.

Another game BBC not getting in too lol will be watching daily record for copy and paste for details
It's ridiculous that this lot can be so petty. I would love for all gers fans to have a boycott of the fee, but I also understand why a lot of people are wary of doing it. They have the power of the threatening letter, which they know would frighten plenty off.

I got your point.

You're missing the biggest thing about it though, he was in brilliant positions three times, with glaring opportunities to score - that is a massive improvement from the last few games where we struggled to create, and I'll take that after only two days training with GVB and Makaay.

The team were up for it and won, that's enough right now.
Fair enough.

For those of us who have just woke up (time difference 8+ hours vs UK so match was 4am and it’s now 6.50am) quick summary please. Mark’s out of 10 for our performance?

It's ridiculous that this lot can be so petty. I would love for all gers fans to have a boycott of the fee, but I also understand why a lot of people are wary of doing it. They have the power of the threatening letter, which they know would frighten plenty off.
Have not paid for last 6 years go online say i do not watch or record live tv, did come to door 3 yrs ago i had phone in my hand told me who he was i said sorry m8 i am in am in line on a important call said he would come back never saw them again...not paying for peados

Fair enough mate, but we wanted to win by 2 goals, we did and for a change kept a clean sheet.

I'm not getting carried away by any means. We must remember that we were knocked out by the Czechs last season, lost to this team earlier, who also swatted aside the tims last season.

I suppose what I'm saying is, when we play against teams like this, I expect them to have their moments in a game. They may not be up there with the best, but they're no mugs at the same time.

I was a bit worried about tonight if I'm honest. Just glad that GvB got off to a positive start.
Yep me as well, especially after the weekend shit show but the players responded well and we've just qualified for the third year in succession. I'm delighted with that.

Perfect result and just what was needed in the manager's first game.

I thought we had some excellent performers out there tonight. Morelos worked non stop and took his goals expertly. Sure the second's a gift but he still has to score it. Bassey just pips him for MOTM for me though. I was worried about him a CB before the game but he was outstanding. He seemed to be playing two positions at times as well to help Borna. Goldson was up there too until he allowed the header that led to McGregor's amazing double save.

Good to see individual players and the team as a whole silencing some critics. And that includes on here. :p :))

Brilliant result!

Just in front work and havent seen the match yet, but delighted for the manager and Alfredo. Let's hope this is the start of something special.

A lot of very encouraging signs.
My biggest worry was that certain players had given up, and that the fight wasn’t in them anymore.
But was I wrong! We battled all over the park, fought for each other.
A moment where Goldson and Borna gave a big high 10 to each other after defending a cross into the box first half.
Great to see.

In spells we were electric, so direct, and probably the most exciting we’ve played in any game this season.
A tad loose in possession at times, but that will come with passing drills etc.

Sparta are a decent side, not the best we’ve faced, but certainly strong.
So delighted tonight went well.

McGregor, Bassey and Morelos the stand outs.

Aribo if he could have finished even one of his chances would have been up there.

Patterson and Tav doubling up in the RB area towards the end was excellent to see.

Roll on Sunday.

Gio, Gio, Gio Gio Gio!

Very surprising to see McGregor and Morelos keep their place, disappointed in all honesty

Both of them owe a performance big time
Both of them stepped up and gave us that big performance. Let's hope it continues. :)) My earlier comment stated I didn't think Morelos should start. I'll eat my hat tonight but he better keep it up or I'll be back giving him a hard time.

Hands up, I was surprised Morelos started given his form but when he plays like that he's as good as anyone. It was good to hear Gio say he wants him in the box more. I think there will be a few players who thrive under Gio, Morelos may just be one of them. Buzzing for Alfie and the team tonight, great win!
Agreed

For those of us who have just woke up (time difference 8+ hours vs UK so match was 4am and it’s now 6.50am) quick summary please. Mark’s out of 10 for our performance?
High 7/low 8 IMO. Night and day in terms of drive and desire from Sunday.

Back 4 as a unit looked far more secure than they have for a long time, including Bassey who was superb. Don't think it can be underestimated the difference in having Goldson beside him as opposed to Balogun.

Alfie superb. Couldn't have had him far enough away from my starting 11 but when he plays like that he's first name on the team sheet.

My only real complaint for the night is that whoever designed the christmas coffee cups needs to take a long hard look at themselves and realise the background is not f***ing acceptable!!

IMG-20211125-WA0007.jpg

High 7/low 8 IMO. Night and day in terms of drive and desire from Sunday.

Back 4 as a unit looked far more secure than they have for a long time, including Bassey who was superb. Don't think it can be underestimated the difference in having Goldson beside him as opposed to Balogun.

Alfie superb. Couldn't have had him far enough away from my starting 11 but when he plays like that he's first name on the team sheet.
Cheers mate.

Will watch the full match later now!

Have not paid for last 6 years go online say i do not watch or record live tv, did come to door 3 yrs ago i had phone in my hand told me who he was i said sorry m8 i am in am in line on a important call said he would come back never saw them again...not paying for peados
I haven't paid for a few years myself mate, but there's a lot of people out there who have would back off with one letter and especially older folk.

As I say, I hold no grudges against them for that and if my parents were still around, I dont think they would either. Well my old fella probably would have been up for it as he was always moaning about money.

So if we were to lose in the next round, would we be out of the Conference league too?

Yeah mate. The Europa league used to have a round of 32.

Now all group winners progress to the round of 16

All runners up progress to a playoff with a CL 3rd place.

Yep me as well, especially after the weekend shit show but the players responded well and we've just qualified for the third year in succession. I'm delighted with that.
Same here. Maybe it's better to just follow the match thread, can't believe I just wrote that, but not being able to see what was actually happening is why I was more chilled.

I haven't paid for a few years myself mate, but there's a lot of people out there who have would back off with one letter and especially older folk.

As I say, I hold no grudges against them for that and if my parents were still around, I dont think they would either. Well my old fella probably would have been up for it as he was always moaning about money.
I think it is a shame way old people are being pressurised in to paying it with the threats etc considering they got free at a certain age and took back off them

Just home. Great night and hopefully at some point the knicker-wetters on here will learn to retain a little hope and back the players.

Only spoiler was the usual shitshow from the traffic cops. Absolute fuds.

And to the two wee guys on Broomloan Rd, yes, it really was me :shh:

That team is awful.
So much for the changes that were supposedly going to happen.
Morelos shouldn't be anywhere near that team after his recent showings, Sakala has been the in form striker and cannot get in ahead of him.
Lundstram should've been brought in to sit in front of the out of position bassey.
Tonight's going to be a tough watch.
No shit.

Cant sleep still buzzing after that result tonight we were brilliant european football guaranteeed next yr woohoo
No chance I’m sleeping for a bit either. Didn’t get home until 11:40pm.
A couple of beers then I’ll try to get some kip, tonight was great.

Great result,and plenty of hard work,passion and looking like the team we seen last season.
Into the knockout stages for the third season in a row and very happy tonight.

Very enjoyable night out. Great performance with a bit of slackness at the end but should have been out of sight.

I sit in the West Enclosure and am also a very sleep deprived new dad so may have been seeing things but did the Sparta goalie give Ryan Kent a long round of applause when he was subbed?

We were better than we have been for large periods of the game. Felt we let them back in it after scoring our second, and I felt we should have introduced Sakala about ten minutes earlier than we did, to take advantage of the spaces they left at the back.

Defending was more resolute, and we competed well for the ball in the middle of the park, a little more steely than normal.

Big fan of Morelos playing closer to the box. A goalscoring Morelos is massive for this team - let Hagi link the play.

Not convinced that Tav and Patterson together on the right works - they both want to run in to the same space, but if they do play, I think it would work better with Patterson at right back, and Tav in front of him.

Overall though a very satisfying result and performance, one we can, and will, build on.

oh, and f*ck Sutton.

Finally got to see some highlights. Just home from Thanksgiving meal at a friends house. Sneaked a few leaks at livescore so knew the result as it happened without being rude. That’s made my day.

The clear difference in movement and pace with the ball and without the ball was pretty evident from the first whistle.

The width coming from the wingers was very evident. Probably because we're so used to Tav/Barisic doing that but it was a definite change in tactic there

Aribo as the no10 worked absolutely perfect. Unlucky with the shot that hit the crossbar after being set up by Kent. Couldn't quite keep the tap in down after the cross from Hagi and his shot when put through in the 2nd half went completely wrong but the fact that he was essentially in this positions is what the majority of us have been calling for.

Hagi won't last as the RW with Gio but in the first half alone he set up Buff for the goal and laid it on the plate for Aribo with a perfect cross. Hopefully he gets some time as the no10 as well.

Kent showed again he's the best player on the park whenever he's injury free. Going to be a massive boost having him available for these tough games coming up.

Don't think Kamara and Davis were 'great' but did enough to control the midfield. Might be some time before they're in full flow or maybe time for a little break, particularly Davis. Jack being back will help as well.

Well done to Goldson and Bassey. Tough week for one and the other playing out of position.

Much prefer 'that' Buff. That's the £20 million Buff of two seasons ago.

Brilliant start. But Livingston will be just as important.

Back