Match Thread Rangers v Spartak Moskva - 20:00 Thursday - BTSports

DocStone

Administrator
Staff member
WmckHlf.png

Battle fever was on this morning. Fuckin gutted it was a day early. Cleaned my whole house top to bottom just to pass the time quickly :D

The very unstaunch act of seeing Kevin bridges tonight out of the way, and it's countdown to kick off

No kidding
Winning this game would be this teams biggest achievement

The thing is I think we can do it

2-0

This ain't gonna be a walk in the park.
If we play the way WE CAN PLAY we should have MORE than enough to deal with the Russians.
Going for a slender 2-1 win to the Sons of William.
C'MON THE RANGERS! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ;)

The only thing that worries me is we're now starting to expect to win these games.

Don't want to make a thread on it, but for some reason my tickets for this and the Villarreal game say the cost is £0.00. Anyone else's like that?

We are a really decent team just need to believe more in ourselves not fancy but hard working and compact 2 0 tomorrow night with the bears behind them

Russian teams really not travelling well in Europe this season.

They've had 6 teams in Europe this season and as far as I can tell they've all lost every away game bar two which were:

UFA drew 2-2 away to Progres Niederkorn in the EL 3rd qualifying round

Zenit drew 1-1 away to Copenhagen in their first game in the EL group stage

Any ideas for possible starting 11?

I’m hoping for -

Mcgregor
Tavernier
Flanagan
Worral
Goldson

Jack
Coullibally
Ejaria

Candeas
Morelos
Kent

That’s if arfield cannot make it .
Arfield is already confirmed as out. Still waiting on news of Barisic.

Apparently Spartak have only won one European game away from home in 8 years.

Left 7 players at home?

Into them from the word go Rangers.

Villareal will win the other one, so we need to win and it would put us in a good position. Again the fans will be crucial. Am hoping for the first goal and a clean sheet.

Andrei Eshchenko,Jano Ananidze,Denis Glushakov and Alexander Samadov are the players they have left behind.
Pedro Rocha is injured and Luiz Adriano is suspended.

This is their squad for tonight
Goalkeepers - Alexander Maksimenko and Artem Rebrov
Defenders - Salvatore Bokketti, George Jikia, Dmitry Kombarov, Ilya Kutepov, Marko Petkovich and Nikolay Rasskazov
Midfielders - Roman Eremenko, Roman Zobnin, Mikhail Ignatov, Alexander Lomovitsky, Lorenzo Melgarejo, Ivelin Popov, Alexander Tashaev, Artem Timofeev, Fernando and Sofian Hanni
Striker - Zé Luis.

They only have one out and out striker, but Fernando and Hanni will no doubt be both played wide in a forward role,Fernando is the big danger at set peices/free kicks and even though they have left several players at home they have some real good players especially in the midfield area.

I've also checked about squad sizes for Europa league games and according to UEFA your allowed a squad of 18 players for Europa league games,apart from the final where you are allowed upto 25.

Teams contesting the Champions League and Europa League finals, plus the Uefa Super Cup, can name a matchday squad of 23 players instead of the 18 allowed in the rest of the competition.

You might note from the squad i've posted,that Spartak have travelled with a squad of 19 players,one more than UEFA state you are allowed.

Last edited:
Each star on our jerseys represent 10 league titles,Spartak moscow do similar with a gold star except it's for every five titles they win,they have four gold stars on their jerseys winning USSR/Russian championships.,They have also had tragedy in their history like ourselves when 66 fans were killed in a UEFA cup game in 1982 against Hfc Haarlem(Holland) and was Russia's worst sporting disaster.

As of May they were ranked 108 by UEFA, they have a 51.75% win rate in all Europa games they have played
Played - 114
won- 59
Drawn- 22
Lost- 33

Historically their celebrated rivals are Dynamo Moscow..They may not like us as they play in blue as well. :D

Their supporters have a friendship with Red Star Belgrade and Olympiacos based on orthodox faith and the same club colours

They are owned by Leonid Arnoldovich Fedun with an estimated wealth of $4.8 billion.

Stand in manager and Eremenko's comments on the game

- What can you say about the Rangers?

- Finally, the question of the upcoming match! "Rangers" - a unique team for British football in the sense that it plays with the ball. This is a team with its own face, which is precisely a compact collective game in the center of the field. This is largely due to the figure of Steven Gerrard - the legendary player in the recent past, who I really liked, and now an interesting coach. I think he can achieve a lot. We are waiting for a difficult match.

“I look forward to this match with impatience,” said Eremenko. - It's nice to return to international matches, especially at such a legendary stadium. For two years I didn’t play at all, and every game for me now is a great pleasure. I want to ask fans to support us. Now there is a lot of talk about Spartak. Of course, we notice it. But now it is important for us to cope with this pressure and try to put it all together.

We can win, but will need to give us a Rapid type performance.

I hope I'm wrong but chances will be at a premium, so we'll need to have our shooting boots on to convert at least two of the chances made as unfortunately current form and evidence tells us the defence in any shape, form or variations of personnel is incapable of keeping a clean sheet.

As I've said, let's hope they prove me wrong.

A Rangers win and a clean sheet into the bargain, would set us up nicely.

Get intae them troops.

Last edited:
Pressure is on today. Win this and we have a genuine chance of getting out the group - who would have thought that 6 months ago?! Would set us up brilliantly for Sunday too.

I'm genuinely nervous for this one. Wish I was going!

To all the Bears going - make so much noise they can't hear themselves think!

2-1 to us.

Another long day ahead before the big kick off. News that Arfield is out is a blow. Think the team picks itself now. McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Worrall, Flanagan, Jack, Ejaria, Coulibally, Candeias, Morelos, Kent. Good attacking options on the bench in Laff, Middleton, Grezda. #LetsGo

Don't want to make a thread on it, but for some reason my tickets for this and the Villarreal game say the cost is £0.00. Anyone else's like that?
Same as mine. I’m assuming it’s because they were purchased as a three game package.

Back