Match Thread Rangers v St Johnstone - 15:00 Saturday - RangersTV.tv

Gerrard has to accept responsibility for this. It’s clear that Defoe can’t play up front himself, yet he continues with 4-4-3 when we don’t have the players.
How many times will we hear this?? He's not learning quickly enough, play lafferty till he drops, let their defence know they are in a game ffs. then if he needs to come off fair enough, Terrible tactics again

They had Cammy Fckn Bell in goal and we haven’t troubled them. We are too easy to nullify, set up in 4-5-1 and we can’t deal with it. Not enough players prepared to take responsibility and we take the safe option far too often. Awful stuff.

absolutely abysmal Rangers. we’re not going to be winning anything if we can’t produce the goods against sh*te like that at Ibrox.

Defoe was poor but I don’t think we’re playing to his strengths.
Kamara the only positive from the game.
Totally scunnered otherwise.

No desire shown today which is the most disappointing thing. That was a big blow to hopes of winning the league.
Any slimmer of hope, and that’s what it was ended today.

I think the Celtic game gave us false hope and it was a red herring. We thought we had turned a corner with that performance when in reality, it was a one off.

In a game like that we bring on Coulibaly and Middleton? Got what we deserved I'm afraid.
We can only seem to play against teams who come at us and leave themself open.

Only Ryan Kent looked like he could create something. A lot of people on here sing Tavernier's praises, but IMO when it really matters and the pressure is on he doesn't look to take his man on and just passes the buck. From what I have seen of Barisic I'm not impressed at all. Looks like he doesn't fancy it.

Considering the level of investment made in the team and the management, questions are going to be asked soon. Some might say knee jerk, but that is the reality - I really wonder what we practice on all week as when it comes to matchday we look f''ing clueless. All corners and free kicks just aimed hopelessly into the box, not one long range attempt, no ideas at all - scunnered!

Realistically could be season over - at least Murty kept it going a few more weeks last year
Mate season IS over.We have dropped against inferior teams.No point horsing the filth then dropping against teams like today.How many defeats in a row where they in?We have no performed when needed.They had a blip and hung in there now they have kicked on again and we are all over the place.Gutted absolutely gutted.

Poor show today.
Fod and Kamara only pluses.
Dreading going on Wednesday now as it will be more of the same against the alkies Killie side.

McLean is an awful referee or just cheats, he’s fly with it but gives Rangers nothing, never plays advantage and always pulls us back. He disrupts the whole flow of the game, I get the impression he loves to be center of attention.

Forget the ref. Should’ve still had enough in the tank.

Crap performance. We badly needed a creative MF in January - like a Davis or a Naismith from a few seasons ago. We can’t unlock defences.

I thought Steven Gerrard walking through the doors of Ibrox was an end to laugh at Rangers and opposition teams having no fear of us, but.

This team dont have any guts absolute shit scared to play the ball forward no urgency and middleton is never good enough to be getting game time.

He’s awful. One dimensional and beyond having pace doesn’t seem to offer anything. Get him out on loan to learn the game and if he doesn’t improve then an average career awaits.

There you have it - not one jot better than St Johnstone. Lucky to get a point with the one off the bar. Barisic offers nothing. Davis a shadow. Candeais does what he does - no composure whatsoever. Fod the only one with pass marks. The bheggars have just beaten this crowd 3 times on the bounce, the last one 5-0. Says it all.

We could have guardiola and klopp in the dugout . It's not the manager, it's the poorer standard of player that we have these days

Yes, but every single one of our players is of a higher standard than a St.Johnstone player, 0-0 at home, in a game you really have to win, is shocking.

Defoe and Davis now shown up for the panic signings they were. No plan to fit them into our team. Shoehorned in and we've regressed as a result. Title over. That falls on Gerrard I'm afraid.
defoe plays as a 2 today alongside lafferty, plain as day yet our manager can't see it, against st johnstone why the hell do we need candieas.... Answer we don't !!!

Vital 3 points needed today to put pressure on the mhanks. We weren't even unlucky, we were toothless.

Not good enough.

Pathetic yet again, what was left of the title challenge will be gone now. When are Rangers going to learn that bringing in players at the end of their careers like, Lafferty, Davis and Defoe just doesn’t work?

Well there goes any chance of the league. Disgrace of a performance. Its all about the Cup now.
We have no chance of winning the Cup I left earlier today than I have ever done because between clueless Tavernier and yes I was their watching him and Goldson who couldn't pass wind I was sick watching them, a Davies is another one who is finished.

We just cannot find a way to break down defences without Alfredo. We do not play Defoe's game. Title chase done and dusted. I was hoping the Bheggars would be knackered from midweek.
We could have stuck Katic upfront with Lafferty for the last 10 mins

Too many players who are consistently not good enough. Nobody gets a pass mark today. Some of our passing and first touches were abysmal.

After the promise of watching the under 17s yesterday it was sadly back to reality today. I can't recall their keeper making a meaningful save in the whole game.

It's not just that it's team selection tactics etc.

Teams poorer than us have consistently took points off us
I know what you're saying but the lesser teams aren't under as much pressure every game as our players . They are not title winning standard of player and it shows by the way they can't grind out results and bottle it all the time

We are never going to win a league when we have a powderpuff midfield. The tims have Mcgregor Christie and Rogic who all contribute with goals. Our midfield dont create or score goals.

Extremely frustrating.

A few things to pick out:

- 4-3-3 - Doesn't work with Defoe which I thought would have been obvious to Gerrard but obviously not.
- Morelos a massive miss but also Arfield as well. No one replaces his runs beyond and around the striker.
- Particularly poor performance from Davis & Candeias.
- I'm also worried about Barisic. His confidence is shot & his play is just so one dimensional. Would love him to pick up the ball and run at defenders but he looks too scared to & just resorts to aimlessly whipping balls into a tiny striker.
- Extremely limited options on the bench but as much as I want to repeat that Lafferty isn't good enough, it's a bit harsh blaming the subs given the lack of game time they have generally had.
- Only plus points were an impressive Kamara who showed a lovely range of passing & ability to dictate play whilst Kent was trying to make things happen but its tough when he is the only creative outlet in the team.

That’s the league over, our season comes down to Wednesday night.

For all the hype it’s looking like we had a poor January window, and don’t look any better than before it opened. Even some of the summer signings aren’t looking great at the moment. The manager will now receive criticism, and as long as it’s constructive I have no problem with that. I’ve said before I fear we are like little girls with their favourite boy band when it comes to the manager. He’s not Stevie G the player, he is a rookie manager and it’s okay to question.

Big Summer coming up now as our next task is to stop 9 in a row. The clock is ticking to an unpalatable 10.

For all the improvement, we’re still out of the title race by mid February. I know I’ll get all the “no surrender” nonsense, but does anyone really believe we’re winning this now, from potentially 8 points back tomorrow?

Back