Match Thread Rangers v St Johnstone - 15:00 Saturday - RangersTV.tv

No sticking your tongue out on Wed Alfie or these 19th Century Terrorist lady's front bottom bastards will cite you again.

Which is the risk of going with a rookie manager.

Great players don't always make great managers. What they found easy on the park doesn't always come easily to their players. Additionally as a player they have 1 job to do and could rely on coaching from the dugout to help them during a game.

Gerrard may well become a great manager but he has a lot to learn and part of that learning will involve him making mistakes. If he's going to learn at Rangers then the fans need to accept that a title challenge is always possible but that it may equally be easy to ultimately disappoint. Celtic might not be great but they have the experience of winning titles on the park and the experience of winning in the dugout. It's going to take disappointing draws or losses for Gerrard to learn how to be a better manager.

Aye I know. Tbf there are probably only two managers in the SPL who have the ability to consistently make successful tactical tweaks in game. One of them is Clarke & you know who the other is however that quality has probably stemmed from experience at a higher level ie. In the epl.

Like everyone I just hope Gerrard learns. He has shown signs every now and then of learning but unfortunately & unsurprisingly this comes in amongst mistakes

I’m assuming you’re just having a laugh or this comment is off the scale sniff sniff material
No you’ll have to expand on that one, it’s a piss way to play. I await the it’s up to us to break them down comments but why should it have to be that way?

It is not just today's performance that is worrying. Going by recent reports on here, Barisic does not seem to be the answer as an attacking left back. Neither does 'The Lesser Spotted Grezda' who has played only a handful of matches for us in six months, and he was touted as a probable 'world class' winger/attacking midfielder. It seems that that we paid £4 million pounds for the pair of them on the basis of that they had a couple of good games against us in Europe. Naturally players will play well against us in Europe in the early season to get a big money move, nothing new there.
One of the other big money signings, Katic (who can get a goal from a set-piece) hardly gets a game now and it seems his confidence can be affected when he does. Goldson and him should be forming the future defensive relationship now. I was also taken aback at the high amount of loan signings we have. We may have more re-building to do in the summer of 2019 than previously thought.

More turgid pish. We were awful today and I'm not sure Gerrard has the answer. Far too many lacklustre perfomances and smacks of yet another false dawn. Without Morelos we have absolutely nothing.

On today’s performance and those of recent times we might as well hand the beggars the title now.Instead of pushing them all the way we are meekly surrendering while looking through the cracks in our fingers in the hope that they fail in the CL qualifying rounds.That’s how bad it’s getting.Still believe in Gerrard but things have to improve and soon.I bet he knows that but do the team.

No you’ll have to expand on that one, it’s a piss way to play.

Of course it’s a pish way to play but when you’re as pish as St Johnstone it’s the way you are going to play and it’s our job to break it down.

Posting a whiney comment about there needing to be a rule against teams defending against us sounds like a deliberate timposter having a laugh at our expense post.

Is that expanded enough. Incidentally. I don’t ever accuse anybody of being tims but that comment of yours truly reads like the sort of thing a Tim would post whilst pishing himself laughing.

Perhaps you’d like to expand on why you think there should be a rule in football that prevents St Johnstone sitting deep and defending.

Kent and Tav, over hit the ball all day, Candeais looked like he had never seen a ball before, Defoe showed absolutely no presence in the box, and the midfield played hit and hope balls the whole game.

I was certain they were going to hit us with a breakaway, long ball, and they did, but we were lucky enough for it to hit the underside of the bar and stay out.

In truth, we have put in that type of performance in loads of games this season.

MOTM? Substitute not used for me.

It is not just today's performance that is worrying. Going by recent reports on here, Barisic does not seem to be the answer as an attacking left back. Neither does 'The Lesser Spotted Grezda' who has played only a handful of matches for us in six months, and he was touted as a probable 'world class' winger/attacking midfielder. It seems that that we paid £4 million pounds for the pair of them on the basis of that they had a couple of good games against us in Europe. Naturally players will play well against us in Europe in the early season to get a big money move, nothing new there.
One of the other big money signings, Katic (who can get a goal from a set-piece) hardly gets a game now and it seems his confidence can be affected when he does. Goldson and him should be forming the future defensive relationship now. I was also taken aback at the high amount of loan signings we have. We may have more re-building to do in the summer of 2019 than previously thought.
Another thing is the poets get in new players and they settle quicker.

Last edited:
Need to go back to our best team
McGregor/Foderingham
Tav, Goldson, Katic,Halliday
McCrorrie,Jack,Arfield
Candieis Morelos, Kent
This should only be tampered with because of injury. Defoe , Davis should be used as subs and Lafferty the lone striker if Morelos not playing.

Poor today. Judging by Gerrard's comments, the players didn't carry out our gameplan that they were working on through the week. Sadly that's going to happen as some of the players aren't good enough for where we want to go.

We're still in rebuild mode. Several players playing today and in the squad won't be here next season.

We'll be bringing in the next batch of players who are better than what we have currently, build on top of a good nucleus and hopefully we can win more consistently.

I got slaughtered for saying we should not have signed Davis and for saying we should try and offload Lafferty...

One is over the hill and the other was never that good first time around.
I know the feeling. As anyone should have seen at the time the obvious outcome of the signings we made is that we will have to start AGAIN in the summer

We were dreadful all over the park today. No creativity at all which we have seen quite regularly but the lack of urgency was even worse. Very disappointed.

The best thing about todays game was the young bears at half time.

My post match analysis can be summed up with my pre match prediction.

This will be a much harder game than people think.

McGregor unavailable. Morelos unavailable. Defoe and Lafferty doubts.

St Johnstone are one of the best teams in the league when it comes to wasting a game. Time wasting, spoiling tactics, tactical fouls to break up the game. A whistle happy cunt in Steven MacLean in the middle of that who's the perfect ref for those type of tactics. They'll put 10 men behind the ball, defend for their lives and lump the ball into the channels for O'Halloran to chase for the counter attack.

I expect an ugly, frustrating, stop start game.

We'll need to grind out the win by hook or by crook. Really important we stay with the players today and don't start moaning and groaning.

We've won 3 on the bounce in the league. If we keep that going today - with Hamilton and Dundee next - we've a good chance of making that 6 wins on the spin in the League. That's the kind of form we need if we want to stay alive in the title race.

St Johnstone came to sit back and frustrate us, MacLean was his usual self and we weren't good enough to overcome it.

Nowhere near good enough infact.

Turgid all round.

We're now playing for 2nd and the Scottish Cup. Wednesday night now is huge.

1. If the players didn't carry out the plan why didn't our manager do some thing about it?
2. We knew St. Johnstone would sit in but we start with Defoe as the lone striker.

Now what's worrying about point 1 is our manager accepted this

What's worrying about point 2 is I don't think anyone but our manager thought that tactic would work

Our manager is simply failing or refusing to learn from previous mistakes as well as being unwilling or unable to make any formation change or substitutions to change a game

Ref was shocking
AND
So was everything about our team, from the managers selection & tactics to the majority of players performances

Our team doesn’t fight for each other at all, at Fosters tackle on Kent, if that happens to any other SPL team the rest of the team surrounds the ref, ours stood about and said nothing.

That was what 25 mins in and summed it up for me

5 minutes into the game and how many of us knew that it was going to be a struggle, Something seriously wrong when you are expecting a turgid affair so early with not much hope anything is going to change in the next 85! and praying that they dont score first or we are really fu$%#@.

Need to go back to our best team
McGregor/Foderingham
Tav, Goldson, Katic,Halliday
McCrorrie,Jack,Arfield
Candieis Morelos, Kent
This should only be tampered with because of injury. Defoe , Davis should be used as subs and Lafferty the lone striker if Morelos not playing.
Kidding yourself on,if you were at the match today you would see for yourself goldson couldn't tackle or pass the ball cleanly,and your team lacks a out and out no 10.

The ref was crap, gave us absolutely nothing all afternoon, denied us a stonewall penalty, but if were honest we were just as crap as a team today. Absolutely no coherence going forward. Listless passes and terrible finishing. Too many players off form. (Kent, Candeias, Davis, and McCrorie all had very poor games. Defoe was posted missing and Laff put in one of his "couldnt hit a barn door with a howitzer"performances) We got what we deserved. We'll fight until the day is done, but title 55 got a wee bit further away today :(

Wednesday is a huge game for us now, as will be the Quarter final in Sheepland should we get through

You just know whenever we're content to play a slow build up from the back, allowing our opponents to get 11 players behind the ball, we're going to struggle. Especially without Morelos to play the target man and hold up the ball. Were at our best when we move the ball forward with pace, why we dont do this every game baffles me.

The only shining lights in a lousy game was the debut of Kamara. He looks like a useful addition going forward. Also Foderingham showed himself to be a very capable back up for Shagger. He made a two very good saves to keep us in the game

Last edited:
Of course it’s a pish way to play but when you’re as pish as St Johnstone it’s the way you are going to play and it’s our job to break it down.

Posting a whiney comment about there needing to be a rule against teams defending against us sounds like a deliberate timposter having a laugh at our expense post.

Is that expanded enough. Incidentally. I don’t ever accuse anybody of being tims but that comment of yours truly reads like the sort of thing a Tim would post whilst pishing himself laughing.

Perhaps you’d like to expand on why you think there should be a rule in football that prevents St Johnstone sitting deep and defending.
Your post is more like a paranoid post a Tim would come out with.

To be brutally honest,today was a steaming pile of f ucking pish.Defoe as a lone striker just doesn’t work.Without Alfie we are nothing upfront and finding a replacement in the summer is going to be one hell of task.Another performance like that on Wednesday and our season is done.

Last edited:
I must admit it was so depressing to watch we really need players to get their shooting boots on against these teams .if they don't get them on target at this level then they shouldn't be playing for us. Throughout the whole team I don't think anyone would get more than a 7 (if any did) out of ten and most were 6 and below that is just not good enough for what we need.
Mclean is a prick and reffed us to what his bosses desire he gave us feckall and stopped everything he could, shite result shite day.

Last edited:
has Gerrard really got what it takes? starting to lose faith in him now, doesn't seem to know how to pick or motivate a team,doesn't change things early when can see clearly things aren't working.

Same old problems. We STILL don't have a midfielder who will change a tight game with a goal or slide rule pass. St Johnstone came for a 0-0, challenged us to break them down and of course we couldn't because all of our midfielders just want to make the safe 2 yard sideways pass.

Summed up for me at one point in the first half when Davis brought the ball down inside the box with a bit of time and space. He's a senior player, he should be taking the responsibility and putting in a shot on target, make the keeper save it at least, maybe Defoe will pounce...but no, he passed it sideways to Kamara and the chance was gone.

It's incredible that Gerrard lets them away with it, considering the player he was, he never shirked the responsibility.

Kidding yourself on,if you were at the match today you would see for yourself goldson couldn't tackle or pass the ball cleanly,and your team lacks a out and out no 10.
No,the club lacks an out and out number 10. The trouble with the match was there was no tempo or winning mentality gave St Johnstone no respect, thought it an easy game and going through the motions would be enough to get the points.

he needs to learn to make better use of his subs, coulibaly, why?

barisic should have been hooked at HT, awful performance.

Only Worrall and wes
really turned up
Kamara and Kent with brief flashes

Barisic was truly awful

Service to defoe was pathetic

A couple of mates of mine have already given up on SG. I haven't but he's got to give us reasons to defend him. For large parts of this season we've been as honking as we were under Pedro and Murty.

This game typified everything that is wrong with Scottish football. St Johnstone lining up to not win, Rangers labouring, ineffective and devoid of ideas and an egotistocal referee who is woefully inadequate and thinks we all turn up to watch him. It's the reason the game struggles to get sponsorship and prevents further investment.
Absolute shocker, pull your fvcking finger out Rangers!!

Back