MOTM Poll Rangers v St Johnstone - 18:30 Sunday - Premier Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
Made the mistake right from the start (that virtually always turns out to be a mistake) of playing Aribo in midfield. Also Hagi has another of his many poor performances, and all of a sudden our attack is poorer also.
Agreed, have we ever looked good when Aribo plays back? I'm surprised the gaffer hasn't learned from previous failures.

And why not start Wright? He had a good game last week. Bring on Aribo later? Hagi just doesn't play well against hammer throwers.

It's all second guessing but I feel that mistakes were made and that makes me a bit squeamish.

I must have missed something in 50 years being a rangers fan. Cant remember us winning every trophy we compete in.

Problem you have mate, you treat others like crap who shouldn't be on the same pitch as us, then go in the cream puff when we lose.

So you think winning the scottish cup and league cup is big time then. Maybe we should play in another league if you want big time.
You saying that Rangers winning a domestic cup is not important? And how do you know i treat others like crap, lol. I'm unhappy at losing in the manner we did as should any supporter of any team. And what does being a supporter for x amount of years have anything to do with it.
And I do think winning our domestic competitions IS bigtime tbh.

My memory is pish but is this Souness all over again? I was at Ibrox when Hamilton beat us and I was at Dunfermline too. Are we seeing history repeating in the Scottish cup? Will Celtic beat us next year with a dodgy goal from a throw in?

After losing to St.Midden by falling asleep I comforted myself we wouldn't make that mistake again. WTAF.
We were so sloppy tonight I don't think Saints even played that well.
The non existing marking of that bearded dick was unforgivable and I think McGregor was at fault as well.
Gutted.

That was the defeat that we've been threatening to receive since Christmas. A lot of games we've ground it out against teams parking the bus, a moment of magic and a 1-0 win. A lot of us have said getting the win is all that matters, and that's true, we've done 55 and that makes this season a massive milestone success. These players deserve every bit of credit they get for that.

But if we want to step up and dominate Scottish football, we've also got to take some of the symptoms we saw tonight seriously. Some of the problems tonight have been problems in a number of games, including some of those league games where we sneaked a 1-0 win. Off the top of my head, we've conceded with the last kick of the ball in at least four domestic games, including both cup defeats, Hamilton and St. Johnstone in the league. We had the warning on Wednesday night and again failed to see the game out in the last minutes.

I worry about the number of chances we create. We pass the ball around the edge of the box well, but often without looking like we want to shoot. I know these teams are all ten men behind the ball, but we've got to work out how to break them down more ruthlessly.

Look, it's been a great season and the players have got the biggest job done. We've humiliated C**tic. But we need to step up another level, and tonight was all the proof we needed of that.

You saying that Rangers winning a domestic cup is not important? And how do you know i treat others like crap, lol. I'm unhappy at losing in the manner we did as should any supporter of any team. And what does being a supporter for x amount of years have anything to do with it.
And I do think winning our domestic competitions IS bigtime tbh.
My goal by a country mile was to win the league, a good run in europe was a bonus.

Job done for me.

Go %^*& yourself. Double blown
Go and get a can of juice. Their keeper had the game of his life in a cup match. It happens.
If you are happy with Rangers being put out by teams like StJohnstone, then it just shows ur own small time attitude. Two free runs in both Cup competitions and we cant even make the final.
Aye, you're right we've won a treble in every single year since our formation I forgot.

This team has given us one of the most memorable and greatest season ever. Some of the criticism on here is a discrase
Its quite incredible and sad at the same time.
We have won the league at a canter because of the way we have been ruthless. We have missed out on the cups and that is disappointing. But cup football is a different animal and not as clear cut as some seem to think.
We have got 55 and for me that was ehat mattered this season. Anything else would have been a bonus. Missing out on the cups hasnt soured anything for me.

Too many off the pace tonight. Credit to their keeper who had game of his life. Last minute equaliser knocked confidence out of us, only one winner after that. Disappointing end to season but struggling to be overly critical of players as we've been superb most weeks.

Reckon ScottWright now looks better than Hagi. One of these games where we had no luck. Hit the post and their keeper had the luck we did not. However we are too slow at the back and need to move the ball faster and forward. Defoe needs more game time and a chance to play alongside Morelos. Defoe for me should be here for next season and maybe Davis should go despite being good for us this season but we will need more for next season.
Shame it I’d really the end of a great season.
Jusr remember what we have done to Celtic who have nothing... we are the Champions and could easily have gone further in Europe.

Defoe didn't but I knew Roofe would.
Always have a bad feeling with the shuffle, the very long run up, the one-step run-up, and the changing sides right before the run-up. Roofe did two of that four. Had a bad feeling about Tav taking one, though I suppose he was always going to take one.

You would mock an amateur team who concede a goal like that. Utterly embarrassing.

Leaving a guy who is 6ft4 completely unmarked
Mcgrgeor glued to his line when a ball is floated in 3 yards from the goal.
Looking at the corner Aribo and Kent were marking nobody in the box also Mcgregor should command the 6 yard box!

So many let downs tonight. Kamara and Aribo were abysmal.
The one guy giving his all subbed!!!!
I said earlier that I hoped that we did not pay for that poor substitution.
Threw away a fantastic opportunity for a double.

Gutted at that.

Always liked finishing a season with the Scottish Cup. 3 seasons, 9 domestic competitions, won 1, luckily for Gerrard its the one that mattered most.

Our cup form needs addressed next season.
We're just no a cup team. A good cup team can rise to the occasion with prob different tactics even if league form no good. SG doesn't seem to impart that to the players even after all the great cup teams he was in... and mostly nowhere winning the league.

Last edited:
We're just no a cup team. A good cup team cab rise to the occasion and prob different tactics even if league form no good. SG doesn't seem to impart that to the players even after all the great cup teams he was in... and mostly nowhere winning the league.
We're the equivalent of a good marathon runner as opposed to a sprinter. I'm sober BTW. ;)

And I have no idea what McGregor was doing at the goal. A ball whipped in 4 yards out and he isn’t taking it and Clark’s head too if need be?

I thought the very same, he has to come out and grab it. After watching it back a few times, the guy Kane, pushes our keeper in the chest, just before the header. Ref and lino utter garbage.

Many mistakes, but #1 is McGregor not coming for a cross which was virtually inside 6 yard box. I have no why he stays on his line all the time.

Incredibly frustrating night, however, the main objective was to win the league this season and the players delivered that with aplomb.

Zander Clark was their MOTM and on another night the efforts that hit the woodwork go in, it just wasn’t to be unfortunately. The biggest disappointment for me was our inability to pick up a 6ft plus keeper wearing an illuminous top in the dying embers of the game...it’s cost us big time :(

See this mcgregor roll out

We'll just have to see, remember Davis wasn't the player he once was ?
You've lost me on the Davis thing but on Roofe as i said if he is not scoring then he brings nothing to the party. At least Alfie links play and keeps a couple of defenders on their toes, i like my centre forward to be able to lead the line and i dont think Roofe of Defoe can do that, good goal scorers but thats it. Even if Alfie stays i still think we need another class striker as well as a couple of midfielders.

You've lost me on the Davis thing but on Roofe as i said if he is not scoring then he brings nothing to the party. At least Alfie links play and keeps a couple of defenders on their toes, i like my centre forward to be able to lead the line and i dont think Roofe of Defoe can do that, good goal scorers but thats it. Even if Alfie stays i still think we need another class striker as well as a couple of midfielders.
I believe roofe will be a player for us next season when fully fit the man is class, as for Davis, people everywhere were writing him off not so long ago , the same is happening with roofe, I'm confident roofe will prove to be a good one.

Yes we are Champions but it looks to me as though too many think they've made it and just need to turn up to win.

Outfought and looked less fit than St Johnstone( maybe it was lack of desire was the difference)

Gerrard needs to analyse the build up to this game including last Wednesday's poor performance which with different personnel was almost a carbon copy of tonight's game. I think also the refereeing was woeful. St Johnstone should have had 2 and possibly a 3rd red card.

As Cup games are usually a one off teams seem to really try harder, our players know there in a game and the tackles will fly in and it seems to rattle us, we miss a John Brown/ Terry Hurlock type of midfield player to give teams it back, this is where we have missed Ryan Jack/Scott Arfield this season.

Winning 55 has made it a great season but failing to win any cups has take the shine off what could have been a brilliant season, onwards and upwards Rangers :)

SG was nervous before the game. Team was nervous. Seemed St Johnstone wanted it more. I’ve written countless times on here that generally, Hagi and Aribo don’t fit well into the same team. What a difference it was last weekend when Aribo played forward and Arfield in the middle. Our best team. Last night it wasn’t to be. Tav scored. We have a free kick and Greegsy lines up the team to belt it upfield. Why didn’t the team simply keep possession? Ball gets pinged back. Corner to them in last seconds. Their keeper goes up. Goal. Ridiculous. But, Helander was off and Simpson on. Correct me - haven’t we conceded a goal every time Simpson plays?
Main thing was the League. Job done. No need to cry over spilt milk.

Sore one to take. We had too many off it tonight. You could see the script early in the match they were more up for it than us. Gutted

SG was nervous before the game. Team was nervous. Seemed St Johnstone wanted it more. I’ve written countless times on here that generally, Hagi and Aribo don’t fit well into the same team. What a difference it was last weekend when Aribo played forward and Arfield in the middle. Our best team. Last night it wasn’t to be. Tav scored. We have a free kick and Greegsy lines up the team to belt it upfield. Why didn’t the team simply keep possession? Ball gets pinged back. Corner to them in last seconds. Their keeper goes up. Goal. Ridiculous. But, Helander was off and Simpson on. Correct me - haven’t we conceded a goal every time Simpson plays?
Main thing was the League. Job done. No need to cry over spilt milk.
Rangers had all the ball and the chances, they just were a bad combo of slack and unlucky. Some good saves from ZC and the woodwork. Another day and its 2 or 3 nil without a fuss.

STJ wanted it more? All Id say is they took advantage of the sleepy moments Rangers had, no moreso than the end when the biggest guy on the pitch wanders free into the middle of the box - absolutely scandalous. With that kind of ending the momentum might switch but Rangers still had by far the better goalkeeper and pen takers so shouldve seen it out.

Pens themselves were pretty poor. They should really have twigged ZC would be feeling 8'6 not 6'8 after that ending and trying to be cute and careful would play into his hands. Big power pens to the upper sides wouldve been my go then after hes conceded a couple of those go straight down the middle.

I agree 55 was the main thing its just an awful anti-climax given the clear run they had at this Cup.

The league was the priority. It's the priority every season. In that respect this season is job done. The European run was a very welcome bonus. It'll have brought in a nice earner and will have showcased the club to potential signings. Not winning either cup? Definitely frustrating. We didn't have the post Christmas collapse this year but not being in either cup final and blowing the chance of a double after beating Celtic in the previous round isn't great. You get nothing extra for an unbeaten league season and even if we go unbeaten for the remaining league games, I'd rather be looking at a double at the end of the season.

Two domestic cups, two losses, two saints and lots of sinners.

Mac Sennett must have been in charge of the defence for that last minute corner. Because that was defending of the Keystone Kops variety. Absolutely abysmal.

Neither Goldson or Simpson, or indeed any of the defence decided to mark their goalkeepr? Truly incredible.

I like the boy Hagi, I think he has skill and vision, but he could have been hooked before half time and certainly should have been at the break.

With both Hagi out of touch, and Aribo playing far too deep, and with their passing along with Kent, Kamara and Tav's cohesion at times being on the north side of atrocious, we just never got going. In saying that we had enough chances to win.

I think The Eagles said it best. It was just One of these Nights.

Oh, and as regards the defence, and despite the defensive record thus far. There ain't no way to hide these Lyin Eyes.

That defence is nowhere near as good as some on here would have you believe.

Back