Match Thread Rangers v Stranraer - 19:45 Friday - Premier 1

Pluses; Patterson, the Rangers support, minutes in the legs, fringe players given a chance to impress/not impress

Negatives; the actual game, Barker, Beaton.

I’ve a good few nagging doubts but they can wait, job done and we’re in the next round.

Jones, can someone inform me what contribution he made, thought he was awful.
Missed Second Half due to technical difficulties.
Young boy at Right Back NP long way off from Tav similar to Ping Pong.
In truth what I saw first half there were a few passengers.
Still Them at home next round and give them the 800 in the corner, inform the authorities for Health and Safety reasons we wish not to exceed this number.

That was a total meh game.

Good to see Patterson performing well.

Barker and Ojo really are not offering much. I really don't see what Barker can offer that Middleton or McPake can't.

Jones was really poor tonight aswell but I suppose he is just coming back from a long term injury.

The turnout was great and i like the new Aribo chant.

Have been completely out of circulation tonight down to family commitments but I have now been able to tune in.

First thought, only 2-0 v Stranraer? Then I see the line up. So I have a rethink and all I can come up with is only 2-0 v Stranraer?

Anyhoo it’s a cup tie and history will show we progressed.

So next I see that Jordan Jones is a complete waste of oxygen despite the fact it is his first go after a long term lay off. Deary me.

Then I see that Stranraer had 59% possession (a la BBC) but we had 33 shots, 10 on target and 12 corners to their 0,0,0. Wtf, whit the actual feck?

Will eventually watch the game back but first impressions areo_O

Not a game that favoured wingers but Barker and Jones were poor. Ojo not on for long enough to judge and did a bit more (including scoring a fine goal). Jones barely touched the ball which is inexcusable. Barker at least contributed more but mucked most of it up (especially denying Kennedy a goal on his debut). Aribo played the same role as them and was on the ball continually. And they were playing ahead of Halliday which should have given them space to play as true wingers if they wanted.

Worrying for their futures.

agree, thought barker although poor was trying to get involved. Jones instead of trying to make an impact seemed to hide, made runs behind play and looked as if he was only giving 50%. Does he want to win a shirt you have to ask.

I honestly think he's got something as a player. We're just not getting the best out of him. On his day he is very capable.

He hasn't gotten to this level in his career without being a player. He's a very gifted young guy. He got a bit out of form and confidence and as usual the fuckin helmets in the Rangers support decided to just destroy him. There were people booing every fucking touch he had tonight, and when he gave the ball away ONCE he was booed by a number of people in both the Broomy and govan. Shameful behaviour.

Loved seeing the young lads making their debuts tonight. Was frustrating for KK as the game had gone a bit flat and it took an age for a break in play to get him on! Their folks must've been proud as f77k tonight!

Just home. Dreadful. Utterly dreadful. Players might think it’s a piss about against a team the foot of League 1, but I and 40,000 others are paying to watch that in the freezing cold. I would call a halt to trips to Dubai if that’s how the team come back.

Rangers reserves?

Katic, Davis, Jack, Arfield, Aribo and Defoe are not part of our reserves mate. It showed that our 1st team squad is very poor in terms of depth and quality.
As others have posted, our colts beat them 2-nil
You’d expect all six of them to start against St Mirren. I’m just glad we got this out the way and hopefully the rustiness out of five or six of them before we take St Mirren on. We need a huge improvement on that performance as we get back into the league games.

Not a game that favoured wingers but Barker and Jones were poor. Ojo not on for long enough to judge and did a bit more (including scoring a fine goal). Jones barely touched the ball which is inexcusable. Barker at least contributed more but mucked most of it up (especially denying Kennedy a goal on his debut). Aribo played the same role as them and was on the ball continually. And they were playing ahead of Halliday which should have given them space to play as true wingers if they wanted.

Worrying for their futures.
Interesting big Wes saying Kennedy being the best in training and gaffer saying the same a think we have a good one ,anoni like what IV Sen but good when they recognise

Job done and through to the next round.

It was a below average performance however it allowed Stevie-G see what he has available.

Poor performances from...

Halliday
Jones
Barker
Ojo
Aribo
Defoe

Rangers reserves?

Katic, Davis, Jack, Arfield, Aribo and Defoe are not part of our reserves mate. It showed that our 1st team squad is very poor in terms of depth and quality.
As others have posted, our colts beat them 2-nil

It's a fair point but I suspect Stranraer actually tried to play football against the colts and not resort to parking the bus.

Wasn’t the best of games but this happens in early rounds of cup competitions.Thought the Stranraer keeper kept it from being a cricket score.

Fair enough comment that Jones was told to tuck in, but Barker went into the exact same position when he came on. Surely he deserves the same slack?

Jones was playing for the first time in months that's why he gets slack that Barker doesn't.
TR, did you really watch what Barker did tonight? His major attribute was running directly into opposition players and gifting them the ball. He must have had some talent at some stage but for us he just doesn't look like a professional football player.
I will say this in defense of the Barkers of this world, though. I appreciate we have a way of playing but if the players who shine playing that way aren't on the pitch it makes no sense to me to require those who can't play that way to just do it anyway. The management should stop trying to be too clever and ask players do what they're best at. It was Stranraer.

Last edited:
Jones was playing for the first time in months that's why he gets slack that Barker doesn't.
TR, did you really watch what Barker did tonight? His major attribute was running directly into opposition players and gifting them the ball. He must have had some talent at some stage but for us he just doesn't look like a professional football player.
I will say this in defense of the Barkers of this world, though. I appreciate we have a way of playing but if the players who shine playing that way aren't on the pitch it makes no sense to me to require those who can't play that way to do just it anyway. The management should stop trying to be too clever and ask players do what they're best at. It was Stranraer.
Said it on another thread, I was more concerned about JJs lack of desire to make things happen than his general pishness last night. Barker, for all his faults, at least tried to do something, though just doesn't seem able to execute his ideas.

Everybody can have a bad game, but they'll generally be forgiven if we see they are trying.

Back