MOTM Poll Rangers 3-0 Union Saint-Gilloise (3-2 agg) - Rangers history-makers break historic European hoodoo! We salute them!

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A goal in the first half for us will get the crowd going. I think it’s possible as we cannot be a pish as we were in the first game. I think we will do it.

If we run at defenders and build up quicker we might have a chance and it might be enough to get me out of my seat instead of watching side ways and backwards passing lol

Van Bronckhorst reads situations well, often his half time tactics set a game in a better direction, so it's possible we see something similar to Braga home after a bad performance in the first leg of that tie. For that alone, I hold out quite a degree of hope that this tie will be turned around tomorrow.

Feel like I’m the only one not confident about this. We never laid a glove on them in the first leg and they are well suited to sitting back and hitting on the break.

If it was a few more weeks into the season and players had more time to settle I would be more confident but I expect we are in for a difficult night

--------------------------McLaughlin

Tavernier-----Goldson-----Davies-----Yılmaz

---------Tillman-----Lundstram-----Lawrence

----------Wright---------Čolak----------Kent

Last edited:
I will be disappointed if we don't go through.
They were nothing special, however we were rank. Massive improvement needed, but not one that I think is outwith the bounds of reality.

Strong, fast start is needed.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

Davis

Matondo
Tillman
Lawrence
Kent

Morelos
No Lundstram? Mental.

Put Lundstram in there for Lawrence and probably Colak due to Alfredo not having 90 mins in him and that would be my team.

Tbh right wing could be any of Matondo/Lawrence/Wright.

Feel like I’m the only one not confident about this. We never laid a glove on them in the first leg and they are well suited to sitting back and hitting on the break.

If it was a few more weeks into the season and players had more time to settle I would be more confident but I expect we are in for a difficult night
Having to play such an important match (last week) after only one competitive game of a new season is brutal

Crank up the noise and i feel that lot will buckle. Going 3-0 the Sons of William. C'MON THE RANGERS!!!!!!!

Am thinking we will blow them away first half 2-0 at HT, drop a gear and see it ending 3-0 or 4-1. Go Morelos double and Ben Davies to head one in. WATP

It can’t be stressed enough how vital a three goal victory is for us in this game. Without it I fear the mentally challengeds are going to have a clear run the next few years due to CL money. We cant expect them to continue to blow the opportunity. So if our players truly care about the club they need to pull off a massive result in this game or heaven help us.

This would be a really good time to kick start our season

Dont need an early goal but must set the tone and tempo for the match from the KO.

USG will be coming with the cigars in pocket and Rangers have to make it unsettling for them, if that happens I feel goals will come.

From the back to front, Rangers need to up the performance level and switch their mentality.

To lose at this stage, to the same calibre opponent as last season, would be criminal.

Come on Rangers, early goal and get Ibrox bouncing! We have turned games around in Europe taking them back to Ibrox and we can do it again!

I really hope last week was a freak result. We haven't been convincing yet. Now is the time to be. This game is important for morale on the pitch and in the stands. USG will be in no hurry so it will be up to us to break down the door and burst in with both barrels. Colak double and a Morelos winner for me. WATP

If we score in the first 20 mins, I'm confident we'll get through. Every min after without a goal will get my ass twitching.

An early goal will help but I don't think it's an absolute necessity for us to progress. Patience will be required. They will pull every dirty trick in the book. Get the ball leathered off their hands in the box.

I’m looking forward to this. I’ve not been back at Ibrox for almost a year. I lost my season ticket at the end of the season before (financial and health problems) and it sounds stupid I know, but I found it difficult to come back to Ibrox, knowing someone would now be in my season ticket seat, the seat I sat in next to family members no longer around. I stayed away, but I finish work early today and I thought I’ll need to go back to Ibrox some time, so why not go back when the team need the support more than ever. So I got myself a ticket and despite being 35, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. Hope it’s a quick day at work. Mon the Rangers!

USG didn't show anything last week to suggest turnaround wouldn't be possible. We mostly made it ourselves and were waiting for them to do what they want.
Early goal would perfectly put them under pressure and give us the belief.

Our games so far this season, apart from West Ham, don’t make me feel positive about the outcome tonight. We had a much easier chance last year against Malmo and blew it. Realistically, it’s likely to be a tight game. We really would need to hit a bit of form to win this and go through. An early goal for us would put pressure on the Belgiums, and then just maybe we would have a chance.

Van Bronckhorst reads situations well, often his half time tactics set a game in a better direction, so it's possible we see something similar to Braga home after a bad performance in the first leg of that tie. For that alone, I hold out quite a degree of hope that this tie will be turned around tomorrow.
I would tend to agree with your assessment but last week he did nothing at half-time when it was clear that a few looked slow and uninterested. He needs to correct any poor lineup choices pronto
otherwise we'll lose the tie.

Beating a team like this by 2 goals (i’ll take ET) at home should be far from impossible. - it’s the psychological aspect. Feeling we’re in for a late night - 3-1 FT, 4-1 AET.

How will you know after 5 minutes?

Were you not at the Braga game a couple of years ago?
I think there's plenty of evidence with this team that if we start off with the laboured side to side passing we struggle to snap out of it.

There's obviously a few outliers like Braga but they are far from the norm.

I think there's plenty of evidence with this team that if we start off with the laboured side to side passing we struggle to snap out of it.

There's obviously a few outliers like Braga but they are far from the norm.

Let's keep it real mate.
Nobody can call a game after 5 minutes.

Tonight could easily be like last Saturday and the goals don't come until the 2nd half, as that's often when the gaps start appearing in deep lying defensive sides.

Livi last week was the same too.
We created virtually nothing 1st half, but pummelled them 2nd half.

They will be expecting us to use wing backs again. They absolutely negated that last week.
Flat back 4

McLaughlin
Tav
Goldson
Sands
Davies

Lundstrum
Davis
Lawrence
Tillman

Kent (if fit) or Wright
Colak

Rangers to go through on penalties , help relieve some of the penalty pain from Seville
Couldn't handle penalties again so soon after that.

This game is total jeopardy though after that shocker last week. Shouldn't be getting into positions like this.

Early goal will ease tension but I feel we'll need to be patient. 3-0 AET I think

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

Davis

Matondo
Tillman
Lawrence
Kent

Morelos

There's setting out an attacking line-up and then there's just being naive.

That's far too attacking, regardless of the aggregate situation. At least on of Lundstram or Jack will plat.

A big ask to go through after last week's capitulation. I was strangely confident before we played Kilmarnock, less so now.
Hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

I'd start Barasic and Davies in defence with a midfield of Lundstram,Davis and Tillman.

If Kent's fit I'd start him along with Çolak and Lawrence.

It can’t be stressed enough how vital a three goal victory is for us in this game. Without it I fear the mentally challengeds are going to have a clear run the next few years due to CL money. We cant expect them to continue to blow the opportunity. So if our players truly care about the club they need to pull off a massive result in this game or heaven help us.

This would be a really good time to kick start our season

With the Aribo & Bassey sales we already have profits that address the CL / EL profit disparity Tottie.

Yes, a massive game, but I don’t see it as a real
Disaster if we don’t qualify, albeit it’s undoubtedly extremely disappointing.

Absolutely no excuse for not getting through to the play-off round. Union Saint-Gilloise are an average side at best. Would be a shocker going out, plus another season of missing out on the £5m payment and a crack at the Champions League.

We should be out the traps like a team possessed, setting the pace, tempo and tone. The starting 11 will be interesting and I hope GvB doesn't go with Jack, Kamara and Lundstram in midfield.

Two major issues for me tonight.

Firstly, if Kent starts that’s a massive boost. He’s proven it against better teams than USG.

Secondly, what do we do with Morelos ? He has been out for 5 months, and his fitness is far from peak due to that. However, like Kent, he’s been a true talisman for us, especially in Europe.

So the dilemma is, do we start him & hope we can get 45/60 minutes, or do we put him on as a sub after 60/70 minutes, when we have the possibility of extra time ?

The more I reflect, I would start him. He has the X Factor that asks teams so many questions.

Back