Match Thread Rangers v Villarreal - 20:00 Thursday - Bt Sports

I remember mate, I'm confident about the last group game and I'm looking forward to it!

This team have lit Ibrox up tonight and they look like winning something!

Wish I was there Bob. Never even saw it cos I’m working in Germany & finished at 9.30 German time. I hate missing occasions like this but the result will do me :D

I think you'd be hard pushed to find ANYONE but yourself that thought this would be the hardest game in this group.

at the start I would've ranked them easiest to hardest.....

1. Rapid (h)
2. Spartak (h)
3. Rapid (a)
4. Villareal (h)
5. Spartak (a)
6. Villareal (a)

Not in a hundred scenarios would I put Rapid away as the hardest in the group
I'm talking about this scenario now. We now have to go to Vienna and its a must win game. It is the hardest of the group stages so far

They are no mugs and have played very well in europe at home

You just know there's Sevco zoomers out there thinking "Are they Zombie hun sevco barstewards going to take UEFA oan noo? Begorra Caed Mile Failte"

For what its worth - I think it was messy rather than malicious.

First booking, to me, was a foul. Not a booking - but a foul.

Couple by Villareal since then could have went into the book - but didn't.

It got messy because the ref never gave us a free kick.

I will give the ref the benefit of the doubt and say that if he realised he had booked him - he wouldn't have given him a 2nd.

For that wee minute tho, he lost the game. And we have paid the price.
Far too sensible a comment there

Wish I was there Bob. Never even saw it cos I’m working in Germany & finished at 9.30 German time. I hate missing occasions like this but the result will do me :D

You have to watch the full game when you can mate, Ibrox sounded incredible!

I wish I was there, I love my job but it's a bastard for Rangers games!

I think you'd be hard pushed to find ANYONE but yourself that thought this would be the hardest game in this group.

at the start I would've ranked them easiest to hardest.....

1. Rapid (h)
2. Spartak (h)
3. Rapid (a)
4. Villareal (h)
5. Spartak (a)
6. Villareal (a)

Not in a hundred scenarios would I put Rapid away as the hardest in the group

Their last 4 home matches in the Europa League are a 4-0 win over Slovan Bratislave, a 3-1 win over Steau Bucharest, a 2-0 win over Spartak Moscow and a 0-0 with Villarreal. That's not too shabby.

I think some are getting a bit over-optimistic about going over there. That said, I'm actually happier that we need the win - no confusion about what to do or how to set up. Just go get it done Rangers.

Good luck implementing that or waiting on it to happen.

The rest of the world leads the way in this. If they're going to act cunty, then we need to adapt.

I agree with you that it is probably only going to get worse but that's a depressing thought.

Gotta love the Rangers put you through the wringer pull yer heart strings to shreds and sometimes make you hide behind the settee but am Rangers till I die whatever

Harston was OK miller same.listen to ally telling us who should do this ,do that.couldn't tell black to tackle and pass,stick to what you were good at ,talking to sue barker

I'm talking about this scenario now. We now have to go to Vienna and its a must win game. It is the hardest of the group stages so far

They are no mugs and have played very well in europe at home

It's where we are now I agree, but I would much rather have to go to Vienna to get a win than Moscow or Villarreal.

They beat Spartak 2-0 and drew 0-0 with Villarreal so they will be no mugs at home, but i still maintain the other two away would have been a tougher ask (as the results have already shown)

Their last 4 home matches in the Europa League are a 4-0 win over Slovan Bratislave, a 3-1 win over Steau Bucharest, a 2-0 win over Spartak Moscow and a 0-0 with Villarreal. That's not too shabby.

I think some are getting a bit over-optimistic about going over there. That said, I'm actually happier that we need the win - no confusion about what to do or how to set up. Just go get it done Rangers.
Aye, and we might as well just got for it, because a draw or loss is curtains for us. I like that the pressure is off in regards to that. Just go and get stuck in. Don't be nervous, the fans are happy whether we qualify or not, just get right in aboot them.

Just back home and off for a cuppa. That ref was worse than any I have seen in Europe this season. Could have cost us the game.
Well done our support for keeping it going to the end.

Aye, and we might as well just got for it, because a draw or loss is curtains for us. I like that the pressure is off in regards to that. Just go and get stuck in. Don't be nervous, the fans are happy whether we qualify or not, just get right in aboot them.

I'd actually say the approach to the match is harder for rapid in that a draw does them. Makes it a tricky one for them. Do you attack or sit in. Where as we just go for glory

It's where we are now I agree, but I would much rather have to go to Vienna to get a win than Moscow or Villarreal.

They beat Spartak 2-0 and drew 0-0 with Villarreal so they will be no mugs at home, but i still maintain the other two away would have been a tougher ask (as the results have already shown)

Can't agree mate. Spartak Moscow are the poorest team in the group - yet they are the ones we will take the fewest points against. Should have taken at least 4 points off them, if not 6. Vienna will be a real challenge for us.

I wish we could eliminate sloppy passing from our play. Villarreal enjoyed a few attacks off the back of our stray passes. It is so frustrating when we do it.
I thought big Coul was out of step with the rest of the team. He wasn't making runs when he needed to, or when he did move it was into the wrong areas. If he can just keep working in training he'll figure it out. Getting back to his early season form will improve us a lot.
Looking at tonight's game, and the last match against Spartak, I can't help but feel with a bit of luck we would already be through. However, we are we are, and we've still done brilliantly to be in with a shout. We can beat Rapid, but it won't be easy. The level of competition in our group has been very good, and results haven't been predictable at all.

I am personally ecstatic over the result. Let us reflect that we have come from losing to a team from Luxembourg to drawing with an experienced Spanish team with 10 men in the last year.
Whether we win in Vienna or not (and I will be there) I salute the progress we have made. The ability of the players has undoubtedly improved but the desire and commitment of the squad that has been galvanised by SG has been phenomenal.
The future is bright...........

Great result with 10 men.
Can effectively say we’d have put out a good dianish team on away goals! Wouldn’t have thought that 12 months ago.

Delighted with regards to the effort everyone of our players put in tonight. It can't be faulted.
The ref wasted the game with that scandalous decision near the end of the first half.
Also thought the support gave the team real backing near the end when they needed it.
Never say die spirit and attitude shown.

I am personally ecstatic over the result. Let us reflect that we have come from losing to a team from Luxembourg to drawing with an experienced Spanish team with 10 men in the last year.
Whether we win in Vienna or not (and I will be there) I salute the progress we have made. The ability of the players has undoubtedly improved but the desire and commitment of the squad that has been galvanised by SG has been phenomenal.
The future is bright...........
Well said mate, some of the negative comments in this thread tonight are just ridiculous - the match threads are getting worse on an almost weekly basis!

Back