Rangers v Young Boys Bern - Cup Winners Cup 1977

I have the home programme in my collection.

I might be wrong, but wasn't it a Preliminary Round?

Programme from away leg not in best condition, whas given to me years ago by someone who there

Tommy McLean
Kenny Watson
Stewart Kennedy?
Jock Wallace?
plus another one

Anyone help out

CElOmlP.jpg

Rangers v Young Boys Bern - Cup Winners Cup 1977

Pal from Switzerland sent me this image.

Any other pics of memorabilia from the match?

was at game and have both programmes home and away think it was 1-0 the Rangers and 2-2 away but could be wrong

Programme from away leg not in best condition, whas given to me years ago by someone who there

Tommy McLean
Kenny Watson
Stewart Kennedy?
Jock Wallace?
plus another one

Anyone help out

CElOmlP.jpg
I havnt went up to loft to look for it but memory serves me it had the players heads on birds lol but I could be sooo wrong

I pretty sure I was at the home leg as a lad, but all I can remember is the cow bell chimes coming from the Main Stand.

My first European game but don't remember much about it other than John Greig beating the offside trap by himself and scoring the winner.

For some reason I remember the away leg highlights on the telly. Did Gordon Smith score? Must have been at the home leg. We went out against FC Twente if I remember correctly.

Does anyone know why we had to play a prelim?

We'd won the thing 5 years earlier, our ban only lasted one year and Scotland were joint top of UEFA's seedings around this time too.

For some reason I remember the away leg highlights on the telly. Did Gordon Smith score? Must have been at the home leg. We went out against FC Twente if I remember correctly.

Yep lost 3-0 in Enschede. Arnold Muhren later of Ipswich scored one of the goals.

Last edited:
I’m sure that was the first game I sat in the back of the Copeland road stand and Smith scored. It was a long time ago so memory could be wrong. The stand was officially opened against Spurs I think the week later.

I've always recalled that game at Ibrox as one of the most turgid games of football I've ever witnessed.YB had about 80% possession all within 40yards of their own goal .whilst we sat off waiting for them to give us the ball .Really one of the strangest European matches I've attended.

My first European game. Beaten by Aberdeen the previous weekend, struggled to a 1 nil victory v Young Boys and followed by a defeat to Hibs. The chants of "Wallace must go" could be heard.

My first European game was Haifa in 2006 - yup, Shitey Sean

Big DJ was sent off over in Berne, and he was also sent off the previous season in Zurich.

I can't remember him getting any other red cards, so he might have got all his career sending offs in Switzerland.

I’m sure that was the first game I sat in the back of the Copeland road stand and Smith scored. It was a long time ago so memory could be wrong. The stand was officially opened against Spurs I think the week later.

In 1977 it was still terracing. Im gonna have a stab in the dark here and going from memory so could be wrong.
In think the first European game the Copland Road stand hosted was against Lillestrom.

In 1977 it was still terracing. Im gonna have a stab in the dark here and going from memory so could be wrong.
In think the first European game the Copland Road stand hosted was against Lillestrom.

It was getting built when we played in the European Cup in 78/79 as we played Juve, PSV, Cologne coz I was up in the Broomloan Road terracing for those games.

Was in the said terracing for the Cologne game and in the Centenary stand for the Lillestrom game. Was great excitement and massive wait to get into newly opened Copland stand.

It was getting built when we played in the European Cup in 78/79 as we played Juve, PSV, Cologne coz I was up in the Broomloan Road terracing for those games.

Of course it was , it’s an age thing:oops:
I was at the home European cup games standing on the Broomloan terrace
It would be the Lillestrome game I was getting mixed up with.

just listened to Gordon Smith on the 4 lads podcast, excellent discussion if you get a chance....

Then we signed Gordon Smith, beat Thistle 4-0 at Firhill, came from 2-0 down v Celtic at Ibrox and won 3-2, and went on to win the treble. Great team.

Back