Rangers vs Blackburn Rovers Match Thread

Too much fucking about at the back and it cost us the goal. Despite almost getting caught a few times doing the same thing. I’ve noticed in the Oxford & St Joesephs game we’ve allowed a few free headers in our box that needs cut out pronto

First half pretty much controlled it although Blackburn did have a couple of chances.

Deserved our half time lead. Probably should have been 2 up. Second half was mostly Rangers until we made the substitutions. Blackburn controlled a lot of the last 20 minutes by pressing higher and that's how they got their goal. A bad goal for Rangers to lose.

They are likely higher quality than we will mostly meet in the SPFL but Scottish teams will set up the same way.

It's difficult to judge based on a friendly, so I'm not too critical but it is obvious the drop in quality once Davis and Arfield left.

I was slightly disappointed in Kamara, as he lost possession on a couple occasions. But everybody is allowed poor games once in a while.

Thought we were good for the first hour until Davis went off then slightly fell apart.

Katic didn’t look too comfortable in the right side of the defence when Helander came on and Barisic seemed to get isolated 1v1 too.

Kamara was dreadful when he came on and I thought McGregor was ropey for the whole game (plus dreadful for their goal).

Positive first 60 but last 30 wasn’t good enough.

Very pleased with our first half performance, but the second, particularly after all the substitutions left a lot to be desired.

We can't afford to go back to our bad habit of running out of steam towards the end of games, I'm sure SG will sort it out.

Will be interesting to see if Docherty's lack of game time today means he will be a starter on Thursday.

This game doesn't need Davis and Jack, so I would like to see Aribo and Doc either side of Davis with Arfield, Morelos and Jones in attack.

Stewart and Halliday didn’t get any mins at all

First half played well,Davis a standout.
Second half dropped a few gears,especially after the subs.
SG will have a good idea who to play in Europe now.

It's a tough schedule for the players - games plus the intensity of pre-season training. It looked like it at times today.

Don’t agree Stewart’s invention for his two assists on Thursday and link up play with Arfield and Polster puts him right in contention. The right side is up for grabs.

Interesting that you see it that way and he definitely looks like a good option to have in one of those attacking roles.

We shall see on Thursday but there are plenty of options that's for sure.

Would have Aribo Davis and Kamara in midfield. I know Kamara struggled under the heavy high Blackburn press but wasnt all his fault as other players should have given him options. Normally he retains possession very well and links well with Davis and Aribo. I’d give him the call ahead of Jack or Docherty who’s distribution awareness and creativity isn’t quite up to Kamara’s, today’s performance notwithstanding.

Changes seemed to throw the momentum and shape out and we never settled into a rhythm after that.

Goal was a shambles and to be honest not a shock as we’d been sloppy at the back all afternoon.

Overall the match was a bit of a non-event and the tempo was fairly typical of a friendly, so not going to get hung up on negatives that could be blown away with a bit more match sharpness and a proper competitive game.

The pluses were good though. Jones did well, Davis outstanding and by and large we dominated a not bad side today.

Far from vintage entertainment but the manager should be getting to grips with who merits a starting spot with these performances.

Progres will be a different kettle of fish altogether.

Some amount of people losing it on here over a pre-season friendly

From world beaters against Marseille to duds today

Pre-seasons friendlies count for fukall , other than giving players game time and blowing away the close season cobwebs

Thought we were good for the first hour until Davis went off then slightly fell apart.

Katic didn’t look too comfortable in the right side of the defence when Helander came on and Barisic seemed to get isolated 1v1 too.

Kamara was dreadful when he came on and I thought McGregor was ropey for the whole game (plus dreadful for their goal).

Positive first 60 but last 30 wasn’t good enough.
Thank god it was only a friendly then

Was he in front of the big blue Square?

If you can't see it then it must be your setup mate. Shows fine for me and a few others. Try clicking on 'the big blue square' and it might open up in Postimage.

EDIT: And now its gone ha ha.:eek:

EDIT 2: and now its back. Weird.

Been impressed by edmundson every time he's played so far. He's looked comfortable with goldson and katic and at either lcb or rcb. Expect him to start on thursday.

After a few bright spots in the 1st half I thought ojo was disappointing 2nd half, although we didnt get him the ball as often. Hopefully he starts to go both ways when taking on the full back, there were a couple of occasions he could have gone on and shot with his right foot. Thought Stewart showed more on thursday. Blackburn are much better that st Joseph's though.

We obviously cant afford stupid errors in games that matter. One or two early on could kill the season. I think we are still short on quality players that give us the 'Rangers' factor.
My view is that we are currently going into what is a big season and hoping it all works out but without the real class to make it happen.

Alright lads, I’m on holiday and just being a lazy c.unt not reading all the thread.

Can someone give me a quick short run down of today’s game please.

Thanks in advance ;)

I know its pre-season and all about regaining match fitness but that was a tad disappointing. The poorest display since the season restarted. I dont know if Blackburn are more inidcative of what we'll face in the SPL this season but if they are we still have work to do. Their higher press in the second half seemed to catch us off guard, maybe the changes we made that preceded their goal hadnt really settled into the game, but it was a poor goal to give us to give up.

Not all doom and gloom though. I thought Jones had a great first half, ditto Steven Davis who seems to be the man who makes us tick. I hope we can look forward to 75 minutes from him in most games this season. Their keeper made two great saves, and I though Alfie could have scored had he hit the ball first time on the pass from Aribo rather than take a touch first.

Still its all about getting minutes in the players legs at this point and we shouldnt dwell on the result too much. Nevertheless we did seem a bit lethargic today. However, it was perhaps a timely reminder we still have work to do before the season kicks off for real in two weeks time. That could be as valuable as strolling through games racking up goals against lesser opposition.

First half we were good some nice one touch pass and move stuff. The goal was really nice, defoe proves his worth again. Davis and Arfield were quality. Second half we looked hesitant. Aribo came on and played well. Morelos goal looked to be onside but ive not seen a replay of it yet... maybe a wee kick up the arse for the team to not get complacent as they did in the 2nd half. Looking forward to Thursday now!

First half we were good some nice one touch pass and move stuff. The goal was really nice, defoe proves his worth again. Davis and Arfield were quality. Second half we looked hesitant. Aribo came on and played well. Morelos goal looked to be onside but ive not seen a replay of it yet... maybe a wee kick up the arse for the team to not get complacent as they did in the 2nd half. Looking forward to Thursday now!

It was offside. The photo is just a few posts up mate.

Back