Rangers vs Oxford match thread / Goals in post 1, Interviews in post 2

Just watched the goal videos and the interview with the gaffer, most pleasing was Stevie G confirming that Ross McCrorie is on a development loan, and that he has a big part to play long term with Rangers. So glad and relieved to hear that.

The goal videos were excellent, thanks for posting.

I had a great day out, part of my youngest grandson's birthday presents.

I think we played some nice stuff, fluid, mobile and with pace.

BUT, we simply cannot (and I don't want to be derogatory to Oxford, whose fans contributed to yesterday's game) use yesterday as a serious barometer to where we're going.

I think we will get goals from everywhere this season and it will be impossible to pick 11 players right most weeks.
going to be an exciting season this year.

Going to watch the game again, at the time though I thought Docherty actually done better than Kamara and Aribo. Polster done very well too and his pass for the first goal was stunning. Edmundson was a wee bit shaky at first but grew into it a lot.

Just watched the goal videos and the interview with the gaffer, most pleasing was Stevie G confirming that Ross McCrorie is on a development loan, and that he has a big part to play long term with Rangers. So glad and relieved to hear that.

The goal videos were excellent, thanks for posting.

I'm not getting this and not getting at you.

I don't get that Ross McCrorie can develop at another club. He comes in for us and does a job or he doesn't? It is that simple. And I'll tell you this, he ain''t a midfielder.

He is either in contention for a place in our first team or the manager doesn't fancy him. Which to me suggests he doesn't fancy him.

It is utter p1sh this loan sh1te. We got Ryan Kent because he's not rated at Liverpool.

Regards Kent? He's rated in terms of an asset, but not in terms of their first team. So how can a guy be rated at £14/15 m when he is no use to the parent club?

I'm not getting this and not getting at you.

I don't get that Ross McCrorie can develop at another club. He comes in for us and does a job or he doesn't? It is that simple. And I'll tell you this, he ain''t a midfielder.

He is either in contention for a place in our first team or the manager doesn't fancy him. Which to me suggests he doesn't fancy him.

It is utter p1sh this loan sh1te. We got Ryan Kent because he's not rated at Liverpool.

Regards Kent? He's rated in terms of an asset, but not in terms of their first team. So how can a guy be rated at £14/15 m when he is no use to the parent club?
The very fact Gerrard wants him to develop would suggest to me he does fancy him. Playing 15/20 games a season doesn't develop as much as 50 games will and Ross knows himself he needs to develop as a player to get ahead of Davis and Jack. Saying if he isn't in contention for the first team then he is useless is an absolute mindboggling statement. Would you apply the same to McPake, Mebude etc?

Just because a player isn't in their first team doesn't mean he isn't worth the value a player of his quality is worth. At the end of the day he has a contract with them, if he plays like a £10m player then Liverpool will value you him as such.

The very fact Gerrard wants him to develop would suggest to me he does fancy him. Playing 15/20 games a season doesn't develop as much as 50 games will and Ross knows himself he needs to develop as a player to get ahead of Davis and Jack. Saying if he isn't in contention for the first team then he is useless is an absolute mindboggling statement. Would you apply the same to McPake, Mebude etc?

Just because a player isn't in their first team doesn't mean he isn't worth the value a player of his quality is worth. At the end of the day he has a contract with them, if he plays like a £10m player then Liverpool will value you him as such.

So according to you, our manager wants this player (Kent) to develop as a player but at the end of the day we don't get him? (Which I think would be brilliant) But I don't think it's going to happen.

Anyway, who thinks he's worth £10m? I don't use the filth rule of thumb when looking at a footballer. I use my own jaundiced eyes.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's about getting older and growlier, and maybe it's about looking back at Davie Cooper on youtube. But no amount of Joy Division choruses will warm and cheer me up regards Ryan Kent.

So according to you, our manager wants this player (Kent) to develop as a player but at the end of the day we don't get him? (Which I think would be brilliant) But I don't think it's going to happen.

Anyway, who thinks he's worth £10m? I don't use the filth rule of thumb when looking at a footballer. I use my own jaundiced eyes.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's about getting older and growlier, and maybe it's about looking back at Davie Cooper on youtube. But no amount of Joy Division choruses will warm and cheer me up regards Ryan Kent.
What? You were talking about McCrorie. Gerrard obviously rates him and wants him to develop hence why he is being loaned not sold.

£10m is pennies for a player nowadays, that is your typical average player in English football which I think Kent is right now, but he has the potential to go on to much greater things if he works on his end product.

I had a great day out, part of my youngest grandson's birthday presents.

I think we played some nice stuff, fluid, mobile and with pace.

BUT, we simply cannot (and I don't want to be derogatory to Oxford, whose fans contributed to yesterday's game) use yesterday as a serious barometer to where we're going.
I doubt anyone is using it as a serious barometer

I think we will get goals from everywhere this season and it will be impossible to pick 11 players right most weeks.
going to be an exciting season this year.

I honestly think this be an issue , but competition will be high for every position , so fingers crossed whatever player comes in steps up .

What? You were talking about McCrorie. Gerrard obviously rates him and wants him to develop hence why he is being loaned not sold.

£10m is pennies for a player nowadays, that is your typical average player in English football which I think Kent is right now, but he has the potential to go on to much greater things if he works on his end product.

What age is he, and when do you expect him to work on his end product?

Willie Henderson replaced the Rangers and Scotland right winger at the age of 17 ffs, so where do we go with this development guff?

PS, we bought Kamara for 50k. It shouldn't be all about millions. There are absolute gems and bargains that can be found if you have people with an eye for them.

What age is he, and when do you expect him to work on his end product?

Willie Henderson replaced the Rangers and Scotland right winger at the age of 17 ffs, so where do we go with this development guff?

PS, we bought Kamara for 50k. It shouldn't be all about millions. There are absolute gems and bargains that can be found if you have people with an eye for them.
Mate players learn all the way until they are 30, look at Sterling he was never clinical yet Pep has worked on his positioning and now he bags like 25 goals a season on the wing.

I'm not saying I want us to pay £10m for Kent, that would be a stupid decision for us cause we can't afford it, but someone will pay that.

McRorie hasn’t had all that many games as a centre mid. He needs to go somewhere and learn the position. I don’t see this as controversial.

Mate players learn all the way until they are 30, look at Sterling he was never clinical yet Pep has worked on his positioning and now he bags like 25 goals a season on the wing.

I'm not saying I want us to pay £10m for Kent, that would be a stupid decision for us cause we can't afford it, but someone will pay that.

Right, I'm getting that point. A point to make.

But he is not worth £10m. It is so absurd, we're going off the Dembele and Tierney map.

Back