Rangers vs The British Army 1956

SGL

Looking for old programmes on ebay and found one from Dec 1956 when our guests were a British Army team. First time I had heard of this and cannot find out much more about it.

Anybody have anything further on it?

Attendance has been given as 20,000 though I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Incidentally we played these games v the Army around that time:

Rangers
v British Army, Wed 24th Feb 1954
v British Army, Tue 5th Oct 1954
v British Army, Wed 2nd Nov 1955
v British Army, Tue 18th Dec 1956
v British Army, Tue 16th Sep 1958
v British Army, Tue 20th Dec 1960.

Looking for old programmes on ebay and found one from Dec 1956 when our guests were a British Army team. First time I had heard of this and cannot find out much more about it.

Anybody have anything further on it?
My dad took my mum to this match. It was the first football match she had ever been to. Rangers got beat and my mum was never allowed back to see the Rangers.

Should organise one of these again, preseason friendly with a cut of moneys to charity?

Rangers also played against The British Army on the Rhine in Hannover at the end of the Second World War in front of 55000 the Army won 6-3 .

The team were always brilliant back when they used to pre-season in Germany. The local garrison always got a chance to come and watch. I’m talking 2007+ rather than 1957 though!

The Army team had 4 Man Utd players in their team, Bobby Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Eddie Colman and Bill Foulkes, not bad players to have to choose from
Edwards should have gone on to have been one of the best British players of all time

Back