Rangers weighing up move for experiened Middlesbrough winger

KGR98

https://the72.co.uk/amp/

CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONSHIP TABLE FEATURED FREE TRANSFERS LIVE BLOG MIDDLESBROUGHNEWS TRANSFER RUMOUR TRANSFERS
Rangers weighing up move for experiened Middlesbrough winger
Middlesbrough Midfielder Stewart Downing (19) during the EFL Sky Bet Championship match between Millwall and Middlesbrough at The Den, London, England on 4 August 2018. Picture by Stephen Wright.
Rangers are keen on Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing, with manager Steven Gerrard interested in a reunion with his former-Liverpool teammate, according to Gazette Live.
Wide man Stewart Downing has been affiliated with his boyhood club Middlesbrough since 2001, when he signed his first professional contract. He left eight years later and rejoined the North-East side back in 2015, where he has remained ever since.
But with his contract up in the summer, Downing would be free to leave the club he has spent 12 years at collectively. One club interested in signing the 34-year old is Rangers, with manager Steven Gerrard keen to recruit the experienced wide midfielder to help to win their first Scottish Premier League title since 2011.
The current contract situation at Middlesbrough is a tricky one however, with Downing currently unable to start games due to a particular clause which would see an increase in wages and automatically trigger a one-year extension.
Tony Pulis has resorted to bringing Downing off the bench, most recently in the 32nd minute against Aston Villa for right back Ryan Shotton – a game which they lost 3-0.

If he scored a contraversial goal which was awarded, although may have just been marginally offside, then the headline could be:

Not Waving but Downing!

Would rather take inexperienced Winger Marcus Tavernier. I think Downing was converted into a Centre Mid anyway

Right well if he comes then I'm starting the Gerrard out campaign and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks.

2vl876w.jpg

Think this would be a great addition to the squad. I would play him as a 10 behind Freddie with McCrorie and Jack behind him. Young Jamie Barjonas could learn bucket loads from him!

Back