Rangers will be in pot 1 of the Europa if we drop out the champions league

This forum will be the death of me, up for a p1sh. Don't look at phone, don't look at phone.. ach quick look at FF... now looking at apartments for next years final. Quick look at sky scanner and it will be time for the alarm to to off. 3hrs sleep gone for a final that's a year away...

Sigh. See you in the last 16 Braga.

Am I the only one that actually loves this now?

It's like going away on a work trip and coming back to a favourite puppy, who looks happy to see you, wrestles for a while and then just rolls over and takes the tickling.

That's how I see Braga now. Every tie is fun and dramatic. They're a bit of a threat but not truly dangerous or obnoxious like the Czech arse-pieces.

Also great that the final is in Budapest. It's another no-risk booking: flights and hotels are cheap and the city is stunning for a break even if we don't make the final.

Anyone been to Budapest before?
What’s the sectors all about in the city centre?

Budapest is a stunner of a city. Along with Warsaw, one of the best value places to visit in Europe.

Hotels, markets, restaurants, historic buildings all in very close proximity and cheap as chips. Also, as someone else mentioned, the local wildlife is very rewarding to study in as non-creepy a manner as you can manage. Casual appreciative glances being enough as another will be following along shortly.

If your mobile and don't mind a hill, stay close to the Castle district in Buda. If you're less mobile or a bit of a foodie, stay close to the Palace district in Pest, then visit Jozsefvaros for the food and drink.

Yes we are guaranteed Europa League groups at the very least
And to a prospective signing, we can offer at least eight good standard European games, with the chance of at least two more. Coupled with challenging for the Title, it helps us be more persuasive to players.

Yeah that should be enough to convince Lewis Ferguson this is the place to be :))
In the past we have recruited very good players with no real guarantee of European football; this should be key factor in who we attract right no I imagine.

In the past we have recruited very good players with no real guarantee of European football; this should be key factor in who we attract right no I imagine.
I was kidding. I agree with you, the combination of having performed so well in the competition for the last few years and having guaranteed group stage games is bound to be a useful selling point for potential targets.

The time is now to trade some of our assets and invest in the starting 11. We can get back to another final.

Trade 3 of our big ones that won’t commit and go get a dominant centre half (or two) a dominant midfielder to partner Lundstram and whatever forwards are required after sales. Have a real go and make us dream again.

Anyone been to Budapest before?
What’s the sectors all about in the city centre?
Us who travelled to Belgrade on the Glaswegian buses know all about Budapest. An excellent city indeed with some fine bars and the hotels are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Pretty sure Stewart Robertson said we'd made as much money in the EL as we would have if we qualified for the CL so it's not all doom and gloom if we're good enough to get through the EL knockout rounds as we did last season.

The time is now to trade some of our assets and invest in the starting 11. We can get back to another final.

Trade 3 of our big ones that won’t commit and go get a dominant centre half (or two) a dominant midfielder to partner Lundstram and whatever forwards are required after sales. Have a real go and make us dream again.
Agreed.

If they don't want to sign, get them out ASAP.

We don't need another Goldson situation.

I dont want another crack. Is it just me or does anyone else HATE watching us in Euro finals. The two I've watched I've hated every minute.

I think this is the most insane take I’ve ever read on here and that’s saying something after 21 years on FF.

You don’t want the chance to win a European trophy because it’s a hard watch in the final nerves wise. Nah. Give me that Aribo opener and 10 minutes back and let me live it on loop for the rest of my life please.

As much as the CL money is what we are trying to get, winning a European cup or a run to the final is always going to be better for the fans. With the new European format coming in the 2024/2025 season it means that there is no drop down into the EL from the CL any more. So realistically we will be either going for the CL money or start in the EL hoping we can win it. Gutting that format is changing where we can’t get the CL money, come 3rd then have a good chance of winning the EL.

As much as the CL money is what we are trying to get, winning a European cup or a run to the final is always going to be better for the fans. With the new European format coming in the 2024/2025 season it means that there is no drop down into the EL from the CL any more. So realistically we will be either going for the CL money or start in the EL hoping we can win it. Gutting that format is changing where we can’t get the CL, come 3rd then have a good chance of winning the EL.
Yeah that's a bit of a sickener. In a way I'm surprised they're making this change, because typically UEFA do whatever benefits the big teams.

The absolute heartbreak sitting in the fanzone stadium last week makes me even more determined for Rangers to get there again & win the thing, hopefully Budapest 2023!

As much as the CL money is what we are trying to get, winning a European cup or a run to the final is always going to be better for the fans. With the new European format coming in the 2024/2025 season it means that there is no drop down into the EL from the CL any more. So realistically we will be either going for the CL money or start in the EL hoping we can win it. Gutting that format is changing where we can’t get the CL money, come 3rd then have a good chance of winning the EL.
Is this correct?

So in two seasons time there will be zero drop-downs of teams into the Europa league or the conference league?

Anyone confirm this? Shocked if that’s the case

Essentially it means we will never get the chance to win the conference league. I’d be disappointed by that

Last edited:
Budapest is a stunner of a city. Along with Warsaw, one of the best value places to visit in Europe.

Hotels, markets, restaurants, historic buildings all in very close proximity and cheap as chips. Also, as someone else mentioned, the local wildlife is very rewarding to study in as non-creepy a manner as you can manage. Casual appreciative glances being enough as another will be following along shortly.

If your mobile and don't mind a hill, stay close to the Castle district in Buda.
If you're less mobile or a bit of a foodie, stay close to the Palace district in Pest, then visit Jozsefvaros for the food and drink.
Thanks for the valuable info matey.

I was trying to work out if I'd missed the topic change though :p

Edit: ah, new paragraph!
What am i like?

Am I right in saying the parachute from the Champions league groups in the the Europa league stops the season after next?

That will be a bit of a pisser as we, obviously, want to win the league and go into the champions league, but it’s pretty much impossible for us to win it.
I'd prefer it was done away with to be honest.

I'd prefer it was done away with to be honest.
It’s a double edged sword

If all parachuting is indeed scrapped from 2024 it means for example we will never have the chance to play in the conference league which is one I feel we would have a real chance in

I await official confirmation though that this is what’s to happen . Nobody seems to know

It’s a double edged sword

If all parachuting is indeed scrapped from 2024 it means for example we will never have the chance to play in the conference league which is one I feel we would have a real chance in

I await official confirmation though that this is what’s to happen . Nobody seems to know

This article on ESPN talks about it.

There will be no dropdown of teams into the Europa League knockout rounds as of 2024-25. Clubs ranked 25th to 36th will be eliminated from Europe immediately.

[In Europa League] There will again be playoffs to reach the round of 16, but no drop down for the losers from the Europa League into the Europa Conference League either.

You're right in terms of top 2 in the groups. But 3rd is achievable and then enter the Europa League.
That’s got to be our objective. Dropping into the Europa right now shouldn’t be seen as a positive or a consideration at the moment.

Get to the group stages of CL and we can go toe to toe with most teams and finishing 3rd shouldn’t be seen as unrealistic.

That’s great news

European revenue is massive and the club needs it every year

If we can get into CL groups it will be magic and again raises our profile and more money into the club

If we finished 3rd in CL group and into EL knock out stages who knows where that takes us

Getting the squad sorted asap will be vital so let’s hope we get the recruits right ins and outs as we will need to move quickly and Gio has already said that’s what he wants

Whilst the Champions League is a little above our level, we CAN compete with clubs who over the last few years have went deep in the tournament. Porto, Benfica, Villarreal and Leipzig to name but a few.

I'm not for one second saying winning the champions league is at all realistic. But we were a kick of ball away from succeeding Villarreal as Europa League winners. They took Liverpool all the way in this year's semi's.

If we get to CL, bare minimum I'd be expecting was to finish 3rd and have another crack at Europa.

Last edited:
Back