Rangers will be in pot 1 of the Europa if we drop out the champions league

As much as the CL money is what we are trying to get, winning a European cup or a run to the final is always going to be better for the fans. With the new European format coming in the 2024/2025 season it means that there is no drop down into the EL from the CL any more. So realistically we will be either going for the CL money or start in the EL hoping we can win it. Gutting that format is changing where we can’t get the CL money, come 3rd then have a good chance of winning the EL.

It SHOULD in theory, make the journey to latter stages of Europa that wee bit easier with no Champions League dropouts entering tournament.

Wouldnt mind finishing 3rd in the cl group then go into the el play off
We'll never admit this publicly but that should be our aim each season.

Getting to the CL will guarantee us £25-35m depending which report is read but qualifying from the last 16, as it stands, would be a huge task.

Getting the cash for qualification then dropping to the EL where we have proven to be capable of going far season upon season is where we should be. That cycle will in turn allow us to improve the squad and possibly, in time, allow for a few more rounds of CL competition.

However it's imperative we play after Christmas in Europe regularly. The EL (& CL) allows us to do this with a realistic chance of competing for the trophy.

Is this correct?

So in two seasons time there will be zero drop-downs of teams into the Europa league or the conference league?

Anyone confirm this? Shocked if that’s the case

Essentially it means we will never get the chance to win the conference league. I’d be disappointed by that
Yeah it’s correct. New format is one big league where you play 8 games, 4 home, 4 away against 8 different teams. Top 8 in the league go through, the next 16 play against each other for the other 8 spots and the rest are knocked out of Europe.

Yeah it’s correct. New format is one big league where you play 8 games, 4 home, 4 away against 8 different teams. Top 8 in the league go through, the next 16 play against each other for the other 8 spots and the rest are knocked out of Europe.

It’s a weird position to be in, as there will be more money in the CL but we’re better off in the EL as the at least we’d have a good chance of getting to the later stages.

Am I right in saying the parachute from the Champions league groups in the the Europa league stops the season after next?

That will be a bit of a pisser as we, obviously, want to win the league and go into the champions league, but it’s pretty much impossible for us to win it.
Yes that’s correct

How do they decide what teams you play within the league?

Reactions: TN8
That’s got to be our objective. Dropping into the Europa right now shouldn’t be seen as a positive or a consideration at the moment.

Get to the group stages of CL and we can go toe to toe with most teams and finishing 3rd shouldn’t be seen as unrealistic.
No longer an option after next season though . Scrapped

That’s awful.

So basically our chance of winning anything in Europe has to come in the next two seasons or that’s it.

Thanks for confirming

Awful news and really hammers home that last Wednesday was our last realistic chance of winning a European trophy.

I really thought we would have the chance to drop into that new conference league and could win it.

With these new rules we will never even play in it let alone win it. Unless we had a disaster in the SPL and finished third which ain’t happening

Thanks for confirming

Awful news and really hammers home that last Wednesday was our last realistic chance of winning a European trophy.

I really thought we would have the chance to drop into that new conference league and could win it.

With these new rules we will never even play in it let alone win it. Unless we had a disaster in the SPL and finished third which ain’t happening
They've really fucked with a decent format to make it as convoluted as possible.

I haven't seen anything regarding changes to the qualifying routes from 2024-25. If they stay the same I guess we could still drop down if we were in qualifiers and failed to reach the CL, but probably only as far as the EL, barring disaster.

That's the thing about the Conference – realistically winnable but to get into it you have to fail massively.

Thanks for confirming

Europa League won't have any CL drop outs in it, so should be easier to win in theory.

That format can’t be anything other than a bridge to a more substantial European league set up while trying to generate as much revenue as possible.

Europa League won't have any CL drop outs in it, so should be easier to win in theory.
I hear you mate but effectively that means we would need to lose the league and or the CL playoff games to even get into the tournament

The way it’s going from 2024 we (and them) are being set up as CL cannon fodder , grateful for the cash but zero chance to win and no drop down

Given the club know the worse case scenario they have no excuse to not give Gio decent funds tgat won't break the bank.

Yes, but ideally we won’t want to be in it as we obviously want to be in the champions league as champions, we then make a lot of money, but are there to make up the numbers for the super rich clubs. The parachute into the Europa was definitely a good thing for us.

Its only been six days but i can't wait for the season to start...I am going to put my money on a treble for us.

That format can’t be anything other than a bridge to a more substantial European league set up while trying to generate as much revenue as possible.
I wish the so-called 'super clubs' would piss off to their new league and leave proper European football to the rest of us.

It’s a double edged sword

If all parachuting is indeed scrapped from 2024 it means for example we will never have the chance to play in the conference league which is one I feel we would have a real chance in

I await official confirmation though that this is what’s to happen . Nobody seems to know
To be honest, I wouldn't want us in the Conference League. If you're not good enough to qualify from the group stages of a competition then you should be out rather than dropping into another. The Europa is our level, as it is for many other teams, but it is unfairly made more difficult by having CL teams dropping into it. We done exceptionally well beating the team who were 2nd in the Bundesliga this season when they dropped into it but we shouldn't have to face teams like that and results like that will tend to be the exception rather than the norm unfortunately.

Yes, but ideally we won’t want to be in it as we obviously want to be in the champions league as champions, we then make a lot of money, but are there to make up the numbers for the super rich clubs. The parachute into the Europa was definitely a good thing for us.
Of course, but realistically we're not gonna win the league each season or get through the qualifying rounds (although I'm not sure if the parachute into the Europa will still apply from 2024)

To be honest, I wouldn't want us in the Conference League. If you're not good enough to qualify from the group stages of a competition then you should be out rather than dropping into another. The Europa is our level, as it is for many other teams, but it is unfairly made more difficult by having CL teams dropping into it. We done exceptionally well beating the team who were 2nd in the Bundesliga this season when they dropped into it but we shouldn't have to face teams like that and results like that will tend to be the exception rather than the norm unfortunately.
But we won’t be in the Europa either. We will be in the champions league as cannon fodder.

I agree with you on principle the whole drop-out thing is a bit of a scam and safety net for big clubs. However it gave us the chance of group stage football and led us to the final this year.

From 2024 the only way for us to be in the Europa league is to Come in second in the SPL. Which we don’t want either.

But we won’t be in the Europa either. We will be in the champions league as cannon fodder.

I agree with you on principle the whole drop-out thing is a bit of a scam and safety net for big clubs. However it gave us the chance of group stage football and led us to the final this year.

From 2024 the only way for us to be in the Europa league is to Come in second in the SPL. Which we don’t want either.
If we're in the CL we take the huge (for us) finances that come with it and need to be happy with that and getting to see some great teams. We just need to accept that isn't our level but thankfully the money that comes with it will certainly help with that. That doesn't mean we, along with all the top teams from the big leagues, should drop into the Europa.

In a few years time we probably won't have automatic CL qualification for the league winners anyway and will likely drop into the Europa from the qualifiers. As we become succesfull in Europe the additional Scottish teams coming into European competition always ends up dragging our co-efficient back down to a level where we lose the automatic CL places.

Thanks for confirming

Don’t worry, they’ll change the rules again in a couple of years once some big teams start getting papped out the CL and bring back the ‘trickle down’ rules.

It's crazy when you put it like that.

Not only that but we've done it on our own.

The rest of Scottish Football has been a millstone round our needs but we've dragged the coefficient out the shit and got to a final!

It's fucking mental.
Big thanks to Gerrard, Beale and now Gio.

They’ve done a phenomenal job

to go the optimistic route, we beat two teams that dropped from the Champions League this year in Dortmund and RB Leipzig

at the very top level (Man City, Liverpool etc) we will definitely struggle but I think we could take 3rd in a group if the draw works out for us and if we can continue to make Ibrox a place people don't want to visit

Slowly but surely starting to get over the final, and this helps massively.

Got to be really proud of our team.

Hopefully people realise that not making the CL next season will not be the end of the world.

The EL still gives us decent money and a higher chance of picking up coefficient points and progression into the later stages.

If we win our first qualifier we are guaranteed an extra 5m even if we lose in the playoff round.

It’s weird, I’m at the situation where I want EL more than CL but the money in CL is just too good to turn down.

In EL no one will want to draw us, and we actually have a good chance of winning it. In CL I feel we’ll get beat by pot 1 and 2 most likely home and away.

Hopefully people realise that not making the CL next season will not be the end of the world.

The EL still gives us decent money and a higher chance of picking up coefficient points and progression into the later stages.

If we win our first qualifier we are guaranteed an extra 5m even if we lose in the playoff round.
The bit in bold is the dream scenario for me.

I remember an often used phrase from all bears when we dropped to the 3rd tier of Scottish football in 2012 which was “ We will know we are really back when we hear that champions league music played at Ibrox once again” .

Well for me reaching last weeks final tops that, by quite some distance.

Over 300 UEFA teams try each season to go as far as they can in Europe. Only 6 of those 300 odd teams got to a final.

We won’t forget 2022. Massive for us in so many ways.

Obviously we want to qualify for the cl but the fall back of being in pot 1 for the el is massive. Just more evidence of how far we have come in the last 4 years.

Back