Rangers will be in pot 1 of the Europa if we drop out the champions league

It’s weird, I’m at the situation where I want EL more than CL but the money in CL is just too good to turn down.

In EL no one will want to draw us, and we actually have a good chance of winning it. In CL I feel we’ll get beat by pot 1 and 2 most likely home and away.
Am with Bluebeard.
Europa run next season for me instead of champions league cannon fodder.
Being in pot 1 is unreal.

How do they decide what teams you play within the league?
It doesn’t go into how the games will be decided but it will be down to coefficient. So might be the teams are still split into 4 sections still and you would play 2 teams from each section (1 from the one your in). But every team will have a different combination of teams they play and being at home and away. So means teams will have much easier games than others.

This is the same format that the EL is also changing to from the same season. Not sure if that will make it easier or harder to get through, but will mean no more CL teams coming in after the groups, which will def give us a better chance of winning/ getting to the final if we miss out on the CL.

Am with Bluebeard.
Europa run next season for me instead of champions league cannon fodder.
Being in pot 1 is unreal.
Agree with this. I would happily just go straight into the EL groups every year once the new format is in place. Much prefer having a run like last season than getting more money, playing 8 games in the new CL format then getting knocked out of Europe at Christmas.

Agree with this. I would happily just go straight into the EL groups every year once the new format is in place. Much prefer having a run like last season than getting more money, playing 8 games in the new CL format then getting knocked out of Europe at Christmas.
As fans yes

For the business, absolutely not

That’s tremendous, a reflection of the progress made by Rangers the last few seasons.

But for God’s sake, get into the Champions League groups instead please :D

As fans yes

For the business, absolutely not
Agree and that’s what I hate about the CL, it’s all about the money rather than competing, for u teams like us anyway. But with the EL moving to 8 games in the first stage and if we can consistently get to the knock out phase each season, along with player trading I don’t see why this couldn’t be a sustainable route.

Know player trading is a whole other conversation, but hopefully Patterson is the start of us starting to get decent fees for our players.

Agree and that’s what I hate about the CL, it’s all about the money rather than competing, for u teams like us anyway. But with the EL moving to 8 games in the first stage and if we can consistently get to the knock out phase each season, along with player trading I don’t see why this couldn’t be a sustainable route.

Know player trading is a whole other conversation, but hopefully Patterson is the start of us starting to get decent fees for our players.
There also comes a point where we as fans want to see glamour games at Ibrox again

Yes, quarters/semis/finals would wash, but realistically we're not making that stage every year

The lack of dropdown moving forwards is disappointing, but with 24 teams making the knockout round of the new UCL - why shouldn't we be aiming for that. The money, the kudos and the confidence that'd bring would be huge

I’d rather we win the first qualifier, pocket the £5 million payment and then lose the second one and go into the Europa in pot 1. Much prefer the Europa and don’t fancy the CL pot 4 whipping boys. We could qualify from the Europa group again which would be sensational
No chance. Qualify for the champions league and finish 3rd at worst

That’s fine for this year but won’t be an option after that when it expands to one big league. No drop outs after that
And theres no certainty that there will be drop outs from Qualifying either

Which then makes your idea a total nonstarter in years to come. Champions League or Nothing in that event

And theres no certainty that there will be drop outs from Qualifying either

Which then makes your idea a total nonstarter in years to come. Champions League or Nothing in that event
Why? Just go straight into the Europa. At least have a chance in that.

The CL as someone posted earlier is like being a hooker-being paid to get fcked.

Why? Just go straight into the Europa. At least have a chance in that.

The CL as someone posted earlier is like being a hooker-being paid to get fcked.
And how do you plan on doing that?

Top 2 in the league go to the Champions League - surely you're not suggesting we finish 3rd so that we have a better shot in Europe?

And how do you plan on doing that?

Top 2 in the league go to the Champions League - surely you're not suggesting we finish 3rd so that we have a better shot in Europe?
Top two don’t automatically go in. And who knows how long the 1 automatic spot will last.

Top two don’t automatically go in. And who knows how long the 1 automatic spot will last.
But that's the point I'm making - in the future, we don't know that qualifying drop downs will be an option, in the same way that out the groups won't be an option

What you're advocating for, is in effect, standing still

Which, in my frank opinion, is ludicrous

But that's the point I'm making - in the future, we don't know that qualifying drop downs will be an option, in the same way that out the groups won't be an option

What you're advocating for, is in effect, standing still

Which, in my frank opinion, is ludicrous
How is it standing still? You happy to be champions league cannon fodder season after season with zero chance of winning it and flung about like a wet trackie every game?

Not for me.

How is it standing still? You happy to be champions league cannon fodder season after season with zero chance of winning it and flung about like a wet trackie every game?

Not for me.
You seem to be scarred by Rangers in Europe in the 90s

We are not cannon fodder by any stretch of the imagination, we are a far better team than that and we need to stop taking what is effectively a negative mindset onto the fact

It's like people who say that we should be aiming to win the Conference League in the next few seasons - come 24/25 if we're ever in the position to be in that competition, then theres been a horror show somewhere

We have established ourselves as a last 16 Europa League side, we've had some good draws this year and got to the final - that might just about have covered the money we'd have made in this years Champions League. Had we gone out in the round of 16 again, we'd not even have been close

We have to look to the future and keep building - we're not Sevilla and we're not going to get to the final 3 or 4 times in the next decade. We're just not at that level - financially we cannot compete

We are, however, a European team I suspect that no-one would want out of pot 4 - that speaks volumes in itself

There is more money to be made, there is more kudos to be gained and that in turn attracts stronger players.

We play in effectively a backwater league - players want to play at the pinnacle. For us to continue to attract, that HAS to be the Champions League

Anything else, is standing still

And as an aside, as a Pot 1 team, we would have no real glamour group games in the Europa next season, nothing like Lyon. No Roma, no Man Utd or Arsenal

You think, after getting to the final this year - and with theoretically lesser teams coming to Ibrox in the group stages that we'll be in the position to charge £120 a skull again or whatever it was?

And as an aside, as a Pot 1 team, we would have no real glamour group games in the Europa next season, nothing like Lyon. No Roma, no Man Utd or Arsenal

You think, after getting to the final this year - and with theoretically lesser teams coming to Ibrox in the group stages that we'll be in the position to charge £120 a skull again or whatever it was?
Yes. Without a doubt

Easily and after this season no one will care we don’t get the champions league.
Every team will fear us..

You seem to be scarred by Rangers in Europe in the 90s

We are not cannon fodder by any stretch of the imagination, we are a far better team than that and we need to stop taking what is effectively a negative mindset onto the fact

It's like people who say that we should be aiming to win the Conference League in the next few seasons - come 24/25 if we're ever in the position to be in that competition, then theres been a horror show somewhere

We have established ourselves as a last 16 Europa League side, we've had some good draws this year and got to the final - that might just about have covered the money we'd have made in this years Champions League. Had we gone out in the round of 16 again, we'd not even have been close

We have to look to the future and keep building - we're not Sevilla and we're not going to get to the final 3 or 4 times in the next decade. We're just not at that level - financially we cannot compete

We are, however, a European team I suspect that no-one would want out of pot 4 - that speaks volumes in itself

There is more money to be made, there is more kudos to be gained and that in turn attracts stronger players.

We play in effectively a backwater league - players want to play at the pinnacle. For us to continue to attract, that HAS to be the Champions League

Anything else, is standing still
Cannon fodder in a tournament that only 8 teams can ever win.

Happy chap you
To be fair, I'm the one who thinks we're better than "Pot 4 cannon fodder" in the Champions League

I also don't think its wrong to suggest that we as a fan base, won't take overly kindly to being horsed out the Champions League in the qualifiers year on year... as good as this years run was, and its 2 in our last 9 European seasons, we've had some great luck with draws at times (as well as outstanding performances, particularly at home)

Teams like us, aren't meant to get to Finals, and we shouldn't be shocked if we're going out in the last 16 or last 8 of the Europa

However, you add both of those together, and the fact that as a pot 1 side WE are the Glamour tie, I think many will start to get frustrated at high ticket prices against lesser European sides

It wasn't that long ago there was unrest over the Lyon/Brondby/Sparta package price

We go in next year with a bounce from Seville, and built up goodwill over it

But we hand them 100% of the TV share if we don't qualify for the groups this year, and thats A LOT of money

Back