Rangers winning at the piggery! Memories.

MightyGersLand!

The title of this thread and the content started as a review of the 2-4 game in 1994 against the scum.
Miko got 2.
Hateley got 1.
Oleg Kuznetzov the last of the 4.

Think this may have been my second game at the piggery and probably the first win I seen.

I changed the title because....
1988-89 I saw us lose 1-3 to the tramps and my dad called me a jinx.
Stuck with me more than 10 years as an 8 year old, until I realised we hadn't won at the piggery since maybe 1981 and the first game there after my birth at a guess? (Maybe a more knowledgeable bear can confirm. . . ?the

Anyway, the post was inspired by the following post on another thread.

I was lucky saw us win the firs three games there. Glasgow cup August 59 won 2-1, league cup August 63 3-0, January 1st 64 1-0 happy days.

Lost my first game there - cup defeat in 1991. Won the next three though.

Was also at both games during the 9IAR season plus I was there on May 2nd 1999.

Better half and myself have been to the Piggery Once and only (Thank God) we Won, One NIL. The reason I say Thank God, how that place has got a Safety Certificate God only knows (we’ll truth be known, we do know the GCC Lapdogs give it) it’s a disaster waiting too happen. I knew contractors on that place, and everything’s done on the cheap, and the way it moved when we there, No Thanks about going back. It is a PIGSTY, and it’s a good thing less of our Support have too go there.

Nigel Spackman 1 nil. Maybe 1989? I was in their end. He scored in that goal. Standing. The whole thing was horrible. Way too stressful. Really not to be advised. I had practised a fake response to a) them scoring and b) us scoring, but not a near miss. :-(. I am sure a few around me had their suspicions. Still makes me nervous.

first win there was 1980 Alex Miller winner
saw all the other wins since then my fav is winning the league at the piggery without a doubt

First and last for me. First 1974 Colin Jackson winner 2-1. Last 2008 4-2 Mendes screamer. Plenty highs and lows in between. Miller winner in 1980. Losing the League in 1979.

The 4-2 new year game was special but my favourite was the 2-1 game where Joe the dip missed a penalty in the last few minutes. First time I had seen us beat them there.

Also winning the treble beating the sheep in the final holds a special memory, “sash in the jungle”

The game Vignal scored from outside the box always sticks in my memory, Douglas palming it in to his net circa 2005. Sticks in my mind as the media already had them winning it in the build up.

The title of this thread and the content started as a review of the 2-4 game in 1994 against the scum.
Miko got 2.
Hateley got 1.
Oleg Kuznetzov the last of the 4.

Think this may have been my second game at the piggery and probably the first win I seen.

I changed the title because....
1988-89 I saw us lose 1-3 to the tramps and my dad called me a jinx.
Stuck with me more than 10 years as an 8 year old, until I realised we hadn't won at the piggery since maybe 1981 and the first game there after my birth at a guess? (Maybe a more knowledgeable bear can confirm. . . ?the

Anyway, the post was inspired by the following post on another thread.
Saw us win in 1989 there 2-1 first win for 9years.

1-3 game - Oct 2010 - was my favourite.

Sat right beside the police tape, before no-mans land and then the filth, so an even more hairy experience than normal. Was also just in front of the exit at the back of the front stand. Can't recall if it was just before, during or just after half time, someone launched a banger and it must have landed on the concourse right behind me. Obviously oblivious until - BANG. Me, everyone around me, and the copper posted on that exit, utterly shat themselves. Got the old blood pumping for the second half.

All of that, combined with coming from behind made it a belter of a day.

My last game at the piggery was the December 2011 defeat. Not so happy, but it was the day I smoked my last ever snout, on the way out of the shite hole, so not all bad.

Last edited:
First visit 1980 and I was right behind Alex Millers screamer into top corner , very sweet memory.

Our mob were also right behind that shot halfway up the terracing...….absolute bedlam.
A few of us got dragged down the terracing with the sway and ended up detached until it all settled down again.
A hot August afternoon I will never forget.

Our mob were also right behind that shot halfway up the terracing...….absolute bedlam.
A few of us got dragged down the terracing with the sway and ended up detached until it all settled down again.
A hot August afternoon I will never forget.

No Health & Safety back then either, mate. :oops: The same scenes at Hampden's ash terraces and you left the stadium looking like Al Jolson after we scored. :D

Lucky to have enjoyed a good few wins at the piggery,one that sticks in my mind was a 1 nil win that rod Wallace scored the winner,I'm sure it was a midweek game and a lot of the bears decided to wear hard hats as a section had fell off the overhead roof the week before

The game Rab the Brickie (legend) spooned Vignal's effort into the net. We were sitting right up the back of the stand, right at the segregation point, a lot of verbal back and forth, but to be fair, most of it was good humoured.

One of the Puddle-drinkers makes his way to his seat at his end of the segregation point, absolutely blootered. He thinks he can wind us up by making the sign of the cross to us, we respond with "fukinell mate, we can do that too, look" and start making the sign back to him, the boy goes phukin' Tonto. So much so that a copper ends up going to him to tell him to calm down.

Copper walks away, we know we've got this guy, so we start doing it again, again he goes mental, again he's spoken to by the coppers.

Just as the copper turns his back, we do it again for the 3rd time. Exact same response from Timmy.

Copper walks right past him, through the segregation area and says to us "phuk sake lads, gonna let me get down the phuking stairs first?"

No Health & Safety back then either, mate. :oops: The same scenes at Hampden's ash terraces and you left the stadium looking like Al Jolson after we scored. :D

We were all teenagers mate and I had already been to the piggery on a few occasions previously but a couple of our lads were debutants and looked terrified when Bett equalized.

Quite a scary situation for a teenager but I was so wrapped up in the euphoria I was oblivious to the danger which was evident.....it was absolutely mental.

We were all teenagers mate and I had already been to the piggery on a few occasions previously but a couple of our lads were debutants and looked terrified when Bett equalized.

Quite a scary situation for a teenager but I was so wrapped up in the euphoria I was oblivious to the danger which was evident.....it was absolutely mental.

I don't know how teenagers today would react to the swaying crowds on the terraces after a Rangers goal scored against that mob, mate. I usually ended up 50 yards away from my pals. :D

Pedro’s superb strike stands out but Ugo’s overhead kick and ensuing mayhem is probably my favourite memory. Ended up several rows from where I started.

My first visit was the vignal game and novo lobed the goalie my favourite was probably the 4-2 game with mendes scoring we batteres them that day am sure there 2nd goal was last minute aswell with a empty home end defo my favourite memory from there could have been a 5 or 6 that day

Lucky to have enjoyed a good few wins at the piggery,one that sticks in my mind was a 1 nil win that rod Wallace scored the winner,I'm sure it was a midweek game and a lot of the bears decided to wear hard hats as a section had fell off the overhead roof the week before
Was that after the Inverness game?

My first victory there was 89, First win in 9 seasons I believe, that was an amazing day, wonderful scenes at time up.

The best ever was 4-2 New Year’s Day, nothing will ever top that, right at the height of the sack the board era, the mhanks were a complete shambles and on their knees, but a new year brings new hope eh? Not a chance, the Gers rolled up and tore everything apart.

Think I've been 5 times, seen one victory. The Vignal and Novo game. Was the only time I went there feeling confident.

Only been there once, March 2000. Albertz missed a penalty, Wallace scored a late winner.

Well OP I remember being at my aunts for dinner that day in 94, couldn’t believe it when Hateley scores after 30 seconds.

Was also Andy Halliday’s first old firm game at -1 month old, that has to be a record!

Remember sitting in the house with 2 magnum bottles of champagne watching it, drank a full bottle n half whilst Game was on, finished 2nd bottle straight after game, 30 mins later passed out lol

My first visit was the vignal game and novo lobed the goalie my favourite was probably the 4-2 game with mendes scoring we batteres them that day am sure there 2nd goal was last minute aswell with a empty home end defo my favourite memory from there could have been a 5 or 6 that day
Was that after the Inverness game?
Game was March 2000,think it could have been after Inverness game,rings a bell

I think you always have a special place in your heart for the first time you saw Rangers win there.

Most definitely.

For me, my one and only time there, was when we beat them 2-0 in 2005. Vignal and Novo.

A 17 year old me won 1 of 2 tickets on the bus ballot and rocked up myself. Was in the seat nearest to the tramps, the amount of things that whistled over my head whilst we done the bouncy on their seats was staggering :D

I've seen us win there a few times. The first was Minty Miller's last minute wonder strike. The 2-1 game where Joe the dip missed a late pen for the vermin. The Spackman 1-0 game. Big Hateley both goals 2-0 game. Ally doing the robot celebration in a 2-1 win. Bomber jumping the advertising boards in a 3-1 win. The 4-2 game big Oleg scored the fourth. The last time I was there was the Scottish cup semi when the crowd was 50/50, Albertz and Super scored the goals. The way the ground moved that day after we scored I vowed I would never be back.

Two that were both on @hobbes brilliant Time Capsule show on H&H are among my favourites. The 2-1 win in April 1989 was the first time I'd seen us win there and the 2-0 win in August (I think) 1991 was a great day.

The days of beating them in their own midden with 20,000 odd Bears partying are the best.

My first victory there was a league cup game 73/74 we won 3-1,a game that I really enjoyed was another 3-1 win there in a Glasgow cup tie 1976 ,a cracking summer night and we played really well,obviously my favourite was 1999 title win,dug out my ticket stub for this last week.

I've a few good memories at the shit pit including a couple of 4 - 2's and the 1 0 in that as good as clinched the 9 in 97 but if I could relive one game there it'd have to be the 93 Cup final v Sheep, a glorious day :cool:

First ever game at the piggery that I was allowed to attend was the Glasgow Cup Final on 10/8/1976. Wonderful sunny evening 60k crowd & a fine 3-1 victory for the bears with goals by Jardine, Jackson & Miller penalty.

Back