Rangers winning in Poland 1988

dh1963

Rangers only won the home game against Katowice 1-0, meaning a very tricky second leg in Poland.
Despite losing an early goal, Graeme Souness' team went through comfortably after scoring 4 away goals.

Some fantastic players in the starting eleven.

Woods, Stevens, Munro, Gough, Wilkins, Butcher, Cooper, Ferguson, McCoist, Durrant, Walters

Scorers Butcher (2), Durrant, Ferguson

Just spoken to some of my Polish colleagues and their local bookies have us down as favourites. Interesting.

Edit - for the game on Thursday and not the tie.

Was at the game, went back to Katowice last year, big change, much cleaner.
We thoroughly deserved the victory and the locals were friendly

I remember the home leg at Ibrox in this tie and the goal line clearance by Gary Stevens, Walters got the winner that day.
The last ever game I sat in the old wooden seats of the main stand that night

I remember the home leg at Ibrox in this tie and the goal line clearance by Gary Stevens, Walters got the winner that day.
The last ever game I sat in the old wooden seats of the main stand that night

The home game was the one John Brown got fed up with their players going down needing treatment, so he picked up the trainer's medical bag and threw it off the pitch. It burst open, bandages and stuff flew everywhere :D

The home game was the one John Brown got fed up with their players going down needing treatment, so he picked up the trainer's medical bag and threw it off the pitch. It burst open, bandages and stuff flew everywhere :D
Thats right, I remember they had about six physio's on the pitch :)

Watched the beam back of the game from Govan Stand. What I recall about game was just thinking how wonderful a player Ian Durrant was - to think 3 days later his career lay in tatters.

He got a hefty ban did he not?

McCoist was some player. So much more than a penalty box striker.

Butcher. Wilkins. Woods. Stevens. World class Englishmen in the team at the time.

Great OP - I've no had time to watch this through yet but from the starting line ups is that davie cooper and mark walters in the same line up - that couldnt have happened often - or is it neal cooper? and is this the one where theres about 100,000 guys in army uniforms there or am i thinking of kiev away?

Great OP - I've no had time to watch this through yet but from the starting line ups is that davie cooper and mark walters in the same line up - that couldnt have happened often - or is it neal cooper? and is this the one where theres about 100,000 guys in army uniforms there or am i thinking of kiev away?

Kiev was 100k or maybe Steaua Bucharest away

Rangers only won the home game against Katowice 1-0, meaning a very tricky second leg in Poland.
Despite losing an early goal, Graeme Souness' team went through comfortably after scoring 4 away goals.

Woods, Stevens, Munro, Gough, Wilkins, Butcher, Cooper, Ferguson, McCoist, Durrant, Walters

What a strike from Ferguson.

Keeper had no chance.

I'm pretty sure I took the afternoon off school to go and watch the away leg on big screens at Ibrox.
This for me too was in the Govan stand that day watching the bean back they obviously learned their lesson that time as the previous beam back the screen was facing the main stand and the sun was shining right on it , and at the start of the game , you couldn’t see a thing clause of the glare

Half day off for the beam back v Dinamo Kiev,sat in The Copland but had to move due to the sun on the screen.A guy wandered on to the pitch and sat right up at the screen to try and see :)
We sat in the main stand for beamback v Katowice away and it was in the evening,as far as I recall.
Another half day off for Steaua Bucharest away but watched it in the house as it was on TV in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Did he get booked for that?

Was at Ibrox for that game. We had it beamed to the big screens.

Back