Archive Rangers Women Season 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year its 2 full rounds of 11 fixtures then 2 rounds of top 6/ bottom 6.

We've dropped points to another side once in 3 years and I'd counter that by saying we've looked much more likely to win the games against the top 2 than they've looked to beat us.

And despite that, we've drawn twice with City this season and lost ridiclous last minute goals to Celtic in the season before we won the league. Us coming out on top is the anomoly over all the games in the last 3 years. I'd like to see all the results laid out actually because I don't think they'd make great reading.

I'm not convinced we've looked more likely to win the games in all honesty. We've never had a run of convincing wins against both teams and, if we've looked more likely to win them but haven't, that's an issue within itself.

If we're only dropping points to Hearts in all the other games, it suggests a failing in the matches against City and Celtic as I bet they've dropped points otherwise and we've still only won the league once.

I reckon we could do a lot better and the constant in the failings is the manager. The players have changed and improved enough now but the same issues crop up in those big games.

And despite that, we've drawn twice with City this season and lost ridiclous last minute goals to Celtic in the season before we won the league. Us coming out on top is the anomoly over all the games in the last 3 years. I'd like to see all the results laid out actually because I don't think they'd make great reading.

I'm not convinced we've looked more likely to win the games in all honesty. We've never had a run of convincing wins against both teams and, if we've looked more likely to win them but haven't, that's an issue within itself.

If we're only dropping points to Hearts in all the other games, it suggests a failing in the matches against City and Celtic as I bet they've dropped points otherwise and we've still only won the league once.

I reckon we could do a lot better and the constant in the failings is the manager. The players have changed and improved enough now but the same issues crop up in those big games.
The team is much changed since the season we lost those goals to Celtic. For me, the similarity is we looked in a strong position until our best striker done her ACL - Howat at the time was absolutely deadly and I think we'd have won the league if she'd stayed fit.

Since then we're unbeaten in our last 5 v City although 4 were draws, and our last 4 in the league v Celtic, winning 3 plus the most recent cup meeting.

Celtic have dropped points to City and Motherwell, so if we win our game in hand we're back in front of them. City have only dropped points to us although Hibs beat them in the League Cup.

I just don't see that those results should get a manager sacked. I agree we've not been fluent in recent weeks and a few players are off the boil but some of the criticism is way over the top and needs to be balanced.

We lost 3 of our first choice back 4 in the summer but since we've only lost one goal domestically, and that to a dodgy as %^*& penalty. That suggests he's got at least part of the job right. By comparison, we lost 11 goals last year on the way to an unbeaten title.

Very disappointing to have another big game where we have failed to score from open play. I'm struggling to see why when we are struggling for goals that Jodi McLeary and Colette Cavanagh can't even get on the pitch, when they have been amongst the goals when they do get the chances.

Agree with many that Megan Bell should have been on earlier, it was clear that their left back had Brogans number yesterday, it just wasn't her day. We needed more variety in our play, and more threat centrally.

It's not over yet, but the margin for error is so small now that its difficult to even see it.

Next 2 games against pretty poor teams are a chance to work some things out and start looking to the Old Firm game at the end of next month.

Very disappointing to have another big game where we have failed to score from open play. I'm struggling to see why when we are struggling for goals that Jodi McLeary and Colette Cavanagh can't even get on the pitch, when they have been amongst the goals when they do get the chances.

Agree with many that Megan Bell should have been on earlier, it was clear that their left back had Brogans number yesterday, it just wasn't her day. We needed more variety in our play, and more threat centrally.

It's not over yet, but the margin for error is so small now that its difficult to even see it.

Next 2 games against pretty poor teams are a chance to work some things out and start looking to the Old Firm game at the end of next month.
The starting 11 yesterday was probably what most of us would have picked following the resounding win over Motherwell but it soon became obvious that City had the measure of both our wingers and McCoy had virtually nothing to work with. Likewise our midfield never really controlled the game and I struggle to recall their keeper being tested.

Brogan Hay continuously tried to take on their full-back on the outside and got no change most of the time to the extent that she faded out of the match long before she was subbed. That happens, and is no criticism of her as she's played well in most games, but yesterday we needed to change it sooner than we did. I like Cavanagh and would have been tempted to put her on the right side to test their full-back by taking her on inside rather than wide. She also has a decent shot and would have offered more of a goal threat.

Lizzie Arnot had a nightmare and her replacement by Emma Watson brought energy and a real threat on the left side. I agree that Jodi McLeary would have brought a spark in midfield that was missing and I would have put her on in preference to Cornet. Likewise, Howat and Bell playing close to each other upfront would have offered more pace and movement than we were getting out of McCoy and Danielson.

We have a decent squad but I'm not sure we're getting the best out of it though, thankfully, we look so much better at the back with Kathy Hill outstanding. I think Jenna Fife also did all that was asked of her and her handling and decision making is much improved.

Take it there was no transfers in or out?

Cant see anything to suggest otherwise.

That was absolutely baltic watching today!

Positive for me seeing the team take on more shots from range today. Granted, didn't score from them, but feel that's lacking in our game, and lets teams sit in deeper, as they know we won't shoot from distance. That approach should benefit us going forward adding variety.

Surprised that we didn't see more subs earlier today, other than the half time changes no more until the last 10 minutes, thought that we could have done with the fresh legs, didn't think anything was happening for Lizzie Arnot today.

I have known Megan for years and she has always been a nice young lassie/lady and yes i found out at the weekend that she is indeed hoping for a career in the service but also found out that she might just carry on playing but just not at the level required for Rangers

Yes she will probably help out but I've also heard something else that I wont go into in an open forum.
if she does indeed apply for the Fire service one would hope the hip problem clears up fully.....firemans lift and rescuing the injured etc.

Hibs happy to defend a fairly impotent Rangers attack. Would be nice to see both teams try to win and provide entertainment. Could be a long night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back