Archive Rangers Women Season 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know all the transfer business, but I seem to remember Kirsten Reilly being good in midfield. And added steel. We're not good in there.

Pretty poor performance. Thought Hay should have been off far sooner as Bell looked much more of a threat. Not enough quality and Glasgow were comfortable.

Hill was good at the back but in midfield thought we were very flat.

Considering the money we plow into the woman's team is considerably higher than City and the Tims, its an embarrassment how poor we have been vs both of them.

Malky needs to go, he needed to go 2 seasons ago if we had any ambition.

I think it’s important not to underestimate the money both Celtic and City spend.

I agree it’s not acceptable though.

Woeful performance,hardly created one effort,the manager has persisted with that ridiculous formation for far too long now, he hasn't a clue.I mean were even behind the mutants now, Malky shoukd have been binned years ago,the side are going backwards under him.

That was hugely frustrating.

Didn’t think we were sharp enough throughout. Not quite as aggressive as City either.

Didn’t think Malky changed it soon enough and don’t think the team/set up/changes were necessarily the right ones. Thought Bell in particular could have been brought on much earlier.

Hill was very strong throughout.

Long way to go but running out of opportunities to win the bigger games that will very likely decide things.

Malky needs to go, he needed to go 2 seasons ago if we had any ambition.
I think he escaped the boot two years ago because it was the first season that investment had been made.
Last season, he did his job.
This season, he hasn’t.
As GVB found out, Rangers managers
who don’t have teams that perform at the top of the league don’t last very long.

It's simply not good enough.

For parrallels, it's like the men's team after they won 55. Looks like a number of the players think their jobs are complete.

Was never convinced by Malky but his insistence on starting the same players, when there are decent options in the squad, shows his lack of thought up.

All that aside, the players should be torn apart for sheer lack of application today. That performance was piss poor.

Last edited:
That was a tough watch,the calamity in the first half with 3 players allgoing for the ball and end up on their arse,sums it up.

I think he escaped the boot two years ago because it was the first season that investment had been made.
Last season, he did his job.
This season, he hasn’t.
As GVB found out, Rangers managers
who don’t have teams that perform at the top of the league don’t last very long.
Or maybe are allowed to stay in position too long when things clearly aren't working.

A tough watch again today. The conditions, particularly the wind wouldn’t have helped but we were extremely poor. Absolutely no point in scoring for fun in a lot of games but struggle to create and score against our only two real rivals for the league. The system we play is not working against City and Celtic. We really struggle to get bodies in the box to help create chances. Other than our Captain the best players on the park were representing City. We look a poorer team than last season and the league position is telling. We can’t blame Ross Wilson or can we?

Didn't see the first half but watched the whole of the second half.

No saves by either keeper ( apart from the City keeper nearly throwing it into her own net in added time ).

City looked like they were playing for penalties. City more than happy with a draw.

City holding a high line, not once did I see us try the ball over the top.

Rangers passing poor and slow.

No Rangers shots from outside the box. Sounds familiar.

Last 10 minutes Rangers panic as it is still 0-0 and try to force the game leading to even poorer play.

Don't think the pitch helped, neither did the weather.

City sticking well to their game plan and players hunting in packs as Rangers were too slow in moving the ball.

Malky in his post match interview again claiming we controlled the game. Jeezo we couldn’t string two passes together and some of our players couldn’t have controlled a bag of cement. What game was he watching?

Just back from the game and thawed out took my kids along their first game and they loved it bar the result perfect way to get them introduced given its alot quieter than Ibrox.

Game itself was really poor I don't watch them a lot but when I do its not a good watch. With the investment we put into the team you would expect to see us be able to create chances but there was a real lack of quality on both sides. Hard to see how we setup or how we want to play as well.

Last edited:
I would say we controlled the game without every really offering much of a goalscoring threat. Striker position should have been addressed when Jane Ross picked up her injury. Jenny Danielsson has went backwards since she signed and a good few others don’t deliver enough against Glasgow City/Celtic.

Megan Bell was on the pitch for 5 minutes and in that time was more of a threat than most of the other forward players.

Is this another example of the club letting a position of strength slip through poor recruitment of players and management. There have been grumblings about the coach for as long as he's been in position.
In fairness nobody could’ve predicted Jane Ross doing her ACL and being out the season. She was a pretty key player last season.

Just back in from the game, poor conditions, rangers were very poor middle to front , passing was poor as well

Looked a bit flat overall
Almost like describing the mens game. Whenever we have something to play for we never seem to be up for it the way other teams are. No impetus no desire no drive we always play as if expect something to happen rather than making it happen.

Glad I missed the game today by sounds of it.

I called for his head 2 seasons ago. He is not good enough and the football is poor against the bigger teams

Maybe they thought the squad were strong enough without her and they’ve turned out not to be
That’s exactly it - the manager was asked if he was bringing in a replacement and said no at the time. That decision has left us lacking up front and has cost us in games against our main rivals (as was the case the season before we signed Jane). Many of us thought it a risk at the time.

Glad I missed the game today by sounds of it.

I called for his head 2 seasons ago. He is not good enough and the football is poor against the bigger teams
football was poor yesterday , get it wide and put a high cross in the box, easy for the 2 tall Centre half’s to deal with

Reactions: GF1
Tough crowd in here. Load of folk who don't go to the games wanting a manager sacked who hasn't lost a league game in the last 2 seasons and who has only conceded one goal this season domestically to the worst penalty decision ever seen.

Seems like folk chucking in the towel pretty damn early. A 7 point gap with a game in hand hardly seems uncatchable and yet there are posters who seem to think we need snookers. Do people realise City have still to play ourselves twice and Celtic three times?

FWIW my opinion is that we are missing our best attacker (Jane Ross) and that makes it harder for us to break the better sides down. Not sure how the budget sits but with hindsight we should probably have gone for a replacement as neither McCoy or Howat are as consistent a goal threat.

Tough crowd in here. Load of folk who don't go to the games wanting a manager sacked who hasn't lost a league game in the last 2 seasons and who has only conceded one goal this season domestically to the worst penalty decision ever seen.

Seems like folk chucking in the towel pretty damn early. A 7 point gap with a game in hand hardly seems uncatchable and yet there are posters who seem to think we need snookers. Do people realise City have still to play ourselves twice and Celtic three times?

FWIW my opinion is that we are missing our best attacker (Jane Ross) and that makes it harder for us to break the better sides down. Not sure how the budget sits but with hindsight we should probably have gone for a replacement as neither McCoy or Howat are as consistent a goal threat.

Nah, there's plenty on here who either go regularly or who watch all the games who see consistent issues with the manager. He hasn't improved other than a brief spell when it all came together and City finally fell apart. It's returned to the same issues that we had two years back in crucial games.

We absolutely need snookers. We can't catch City without them dropping points (and we've now played and drawn with them them twice so we can't affect that) in a league where the top three teams are like Real Madrid compared to Benburb.

We might be missing Jane Ross but the Hearts game two weeks ago was an identical issue to yesterday where some more energy in the team would have made a difference but Malky played it safe and was happy to "control the game"

City were entirely comfortable yesterday despite having a keeper that looked tremendously dodgy.

It's simply not been good enough over a long period of time now.

Nah, there's plenty on here who either go regularly or who watch all the games who see consistent issues with the manager. He hasn't improved other than a brief spell when it all came together and City finally fell apart. It's returned to the same issues that we had two years back in crucial games.

We absolutely need snookers. We can't catch City without them dropping points (and we've now played and drawn with them them twice so we can't affect that) in a league where the top three teams are like Real Madrid compared to Benburb.

We might be missing Jane Ross but the Hearts game two weeks ago was an identical issue to yesterday where some more energy in the team would have made a difference but Malky played it safe and was happy to "control the game"

City were entirely comfortable yesterday despite having a keeper that looked tremendously dodgy.

We're effectively 4 points behind and have still to play City twice. Both teams have still to play Celtic three times. We play each other 4 times now.

We're effectively 4 points behind and have still to play City twice. Both teams have still to play Celtic three times. We play each other 4 times now.

Is that how the split is working? I thought we only played them once after the initial round of 22 games.

Regardless, all the evidence points to the fact that we're not good enough to win those crunch matches and we appear to be more at risk of dropping points to the likes of Hearts than City do.

Is that how the split is working? I thought we only played them once after the initial round of 22 games.

Regardless, all the evidence points to the fact that we're not good enough to win those crunch matches and we appear to be more at risk of dropping points to the likes of Hearts than City do.
This year its 2 full rounds of 11 fixtures then 2 rounds of top 6/ bottom 6.

We've dropped points to another side once in 3 years and I'd counter that by saying we've looked much more likely to win the games against the top 2 than they've looked to beat us.

This year its 2 full rounds of 11 fixtures then 2 rounds of top 6/ bottom 6.

We've dropped points to another side once in 3 years and I'd counter that by saying we've looked much more likely to win the games against the top 2 than they've looked to beat us.
Ah didnt realise it had changed format,still no.matter Malky will continue with the same set up and change nothing.

Ah the ‘loads of folk who don’t go to games’ chat has now spread to the women’s team I see.

We’ve shown nothing in the games against Celtic and City so far to suggest there’s going to be anything different in the remaining games. We’re slow, laboured and lack ideas when it comes to playing them. We didn’t even have a shot on target yesterday and now we’re half way through the league season and 7 points behind.

Transfer window is almost closed and we’ve shown no sign of strengthening either while City and Celtic continue to keep moving forward.

People have every right to be disappointed because it’s never acceptable for Rangers to be third and so far behind the team at the top. The biggest problem in women’s football is now you’re not allowed to criticise them or you’re a detractor from the women’s game, this narrative has been building for a while on social media etc, it’s bollocks.

Ah the ‘loads of folk who don’t go to games’ chat has now spread to the women’s team I see.

We’ve shown nothing in the games against Celtic and City so far to suggest there’s going to be anything different in the remaining games. We’re slow, laboured and lack ideas when it comes to playing them. We didn’t even have a shot on target yesterday and now we’re half way through the league season and 7 points behind.

Transfer window is almost closed and we’ve shown no sign of strengthening either while City and Celtic continue to keep moving forward.

People have every right to be disappointed because it’s never acceptable for Rangers to be third and so far behind the team at the top. The biggest problem in women’s football is now you’re not allowed to criticise them or you’re a detractor from the women’s game, this narrative has been building for a while on social media etc, it’s bollocks.

Completely agree. I understand there are the dinosaurs out there that will just say its shite because its women's football.

However the reality is if the women's game wants respect and treated like the men's game they are going to come under the same level of scrutiny.

Being 3rd place is unacceptable for Rangers. And for those holding on to the unbeaten and goals conceded stats, would you be happy to draw every game 0-0?

Really hope they can turn it around as the players seem like a good bunch of people with a lot of Rangers fans in the group.

That’s what annoyed me at the game yesterday, any time the ball went near their keeper, she tried to punch it away or flapped at it , we didn’t put any pressure on her at all

Overall Rangers controlled the game but as you say City we’re comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back