Archive Rangers Women Season 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You literally said this:

“I do think he said something sectarian and this has been heard by the Rangers bench and he has been fuming and reacted”.

You have mentioned similar in a few posts. Im sure it will all come out anyway.
I also said,

"This is my theory of what has happened" !

This guy is getting charged for this

Celtic brand Rangers coach’s headbutt on Fran Alonso 'hugely concerning' as Parkhead giants call for action​

The SWPL1 derby was marred by the ugly scenes at the full-time whistle and now Celtic have issued a response.

Celtic have described an attack on coach Fran Alonso as a “hugely concerning incident".

The Parkhead club have spoken out after the controversial scenes at the end of their SWPL 1 derby with Rangers. Ibrox coach Craig McPherson appeared to headbutt Alonso in a fiery end to the fixture with the Celtic women boss also stating he was called “a little rat” after the confrontation which has subsequently been condemned across the game in the aftermath. A Celtic spokesperson commented: “Clearly this is a hugely concerning incident, falling well below any acceptable standard.

"We understand the matter is now being investigated and it will be up to all relevant authorities to take any appropriate action.” A Police Scotland spokesperson also confirmed that they would be looking into the scenes: “We have received a report regarding an incident at Broadwood Stadium on the evening of Monday, 27 March, 2023. Enquiries to establish any criminality are at an early stage.”

Former SFA referee Steve Conroy has demanded that the SFA take firm action against McPherson as he demanded that the Ibrox coach is hit with a lifetime ban. Speaking to BettingSites.co.uk, Conroy said: “It is appalling. He should be instantly removed from his post and banned for life. There is absolutely no mitigation for that. He gave it forethought and should pay the full price for it.

“It's embarrassing that the first SWPL game to be shown live on Sky Sports is grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons. This is simply thuggish behaviour, and the man involved should face the full consequences. We are trying to get rid of all forms of aggression and intimidation in football from grassroots upwards. This must be dealt with in the appropriate way.”

The Rangers coach MUST now come out and explain why he did what he did as nobody does that for nothing.

I watched the game.
The standard was pish.
The standard is low in comparison to the men’s game. But is that the yardstick to measure it by? A sport that was banned for decades and has only very recently gone professional against a sport that’s been going over 150 years and been professional for 130 years. You’re comparing apples with pears.

Rangers coach 'headbutt' on Celtic manager being investigated by police​

Ibrox coach Craig McPherson appeared to headbutt Celtic boss Fran Alonso in a fiery end to the fixture.

Police have launched an investigation after tempers flared at the end a match between Rangers and Celtic Women last night. Ibrox coach Craig McPherson appeared to headbutt Celtic women boss Fran Alonso in a fiery end to the fixture.

Alonso stated after the match he was called “a little rat” during the confrontation which has subsequently been condemned across the game in the aftermath.

The scenes were sparked after the game ended 1-1 following a 99th-minute Caitlin Hayes leveller at Broadwood Stadium. The goal kept Celtic in second spot in the Scottish Women's Premier League table.

Police Scotland has confirmed a probe has been launched into the incident but have stressed the investigation is in an early stage and they are still trying to establish any criminality.

A spokesperson said: “We have received a report regarding an incident at Broadwood Stadium on the evening of Monday, 27 March, 2023. Enquiries to establish any criminality are at an early stage.”

A spokesperson for Celtic has described the incident as 'hugely concerning'. A statement said: "Clearly this is a hugely concerning incident, falling well below any acceptable standard.

“We understand the matter is now being investigated and it will be up to all relevant authorities to take any appropriate action.”

Rangers have been contacted for comment.

I’ll stick up for the standard of goalkeeping in the women’s game, for as poor as it generally is there is a big factor at play.

Goalkeepers require dedicated coaching (male and female) and the vast, vast majority of young girls starting out in the sport just won’t be receiving any. It’s hard enough for most boys clubs to get anybody in to take their goalkeepers for training - getting shots fired at you etc. for 10/15 minutes every night at training just doesn’t cut it.

By the time any girls are picked up by bigger teams they’ve lost out on years of coaching, trying to eradicate bad habits etc

We always lose out in these situations.
Celtic want action
Police Scotland looking at incident
Steve Conroy (I know, I know) wants action taken.
Rangers either sacrifice McPherson (if he has done something wrong) or get the facts out.
We are miles behind them. I always think back to the hanging effigies. Rangers should have complained about the effigies and pointed out they were visible from the directors box, so therefore the Celtic directors didn't find them unacceptable.

I’ll stick up for the standard of goalkeeping in the women’s game, for as poor as it generally is there is a big factor at play.

Goalkeepers require dedicated coaching (male and female) and the vast, vast majority of young girls starting out in the sport just won’t be receiving any. It’s hard enough for most boys clubs to get anybody in to take their goalkeepers for training - getting shots fired at you etc. for 10/15 minutes every night at training just doesn’t cut it.

By the time any girls are picked up by bigger teams they’ve lost out on years of coaching, trying to eradicate bad habits etc
This is way too sensible an assessment.

From personal experience, absolutely spot on.

Rangers coach 'headbutt' on Celtic manager being investigated by police​

Ibrox coach Craig McPherson appeared to headbutt Celtic boss Fran Alonso in a fiery end to the fixture.

Police have launched an investigation after tempers flared at the end a match between Rangers and Celtic Women last night. Ibrox coach Craig McPherson appeared to headbutt Celtic women boss Fran Alonso in a fiery end to the fixture.

Alonso stated after the match he was called “a little rat” during the confrontation which has subsequently been condemned across the game in the aftermath.

The scenes were sparked after the game ended 1-1 following a 99th-minute Caitlin Hayes leveller at Broadwood Stadium. The goal kept Celtic in second spot in the Scottish Women's Premier League table.

Police Scotland has confirmed a probe has been launched into the incident but have stressed the investigation is in an early stage and they are still trying to establish any criminality.

A spokesperson said: “We have received a report regarding an incident at Broadwood Stadium on the evening of Monday, 27 March, 2023. Enquiries to establish any criminality are at an early stage.”

A spokesperson for Celtic has described the incident as 'hugely concerning'. A statement said: "Clearly this is a hugely concerning incident, falling well below any acceptable standard.

“We understand the matter is now being investigated and it will be up to all relevant authorities to take any appropriate action.”

Rangers have been contacted for comment.
Well of course.

Here they come.

The standard is low in comparison to the men’s game. But is that the yardstick to measure it by? A sport that was banned for decades and has only very recently gone professional against a sport that’s been going over 150 years and been professional for 130 years. You’re comparing apples with pears.
Mate, you are a crackpot.
Tell me where I compared it to anything.

Police Scotland,the media and cel**c all working in unison again.
Don't try a pathetic attempt at a headbutt then. Worse still a cowardly one at that from the back. Too much mental gymnastics on here trying to excuse a complete idiot. The amount of own goals our club keep scoring at all levels is just beyond a joke.

In any other business he would be summarily dismissed.

Sorry I’ve gone on for this for years Women goal keepers are poor in particular shots from distance, they’re physically not agile enough. I have said over and over goal sizes should be slightly smaller in the women’s game, not as a fault of women, but physical aptitude. Why do we have different male and FM sports, simple physical strengths. I’m not coming from a Neanderthal Male, the better half was an Internationalist back in the day, and I seen many a FM game and the definite weak spot is GK. There was a post on here before from a poster who was talking about his Daughter and the FMs game, to which I replied stick in GK and if she came good, she could make a fortune.

Don't try a pathetic attempt at a headbutt then. Worse still a cowardly one at that from the back. Too much mental gymnastics on here trying to excuse a complete idiot. The amount of own goals our club keep scoring at all levels is just beyond a joke.

Dont excuse what happened but I am highlighting another well organised pile on from Police Scotland,the media and cel**c yet again when it's a Rangers employee in the wrong.

The thought of what happened to Duncan Ferguson springs to mind!

A very good question.

By the standards of the best teams in the world, Rangers are not a good football team. By the standards of the Scottish top flight, pyramid teams are not good football teams. The same can be said of the the women's game. Women's football is not of the same standard as mens football. Our women's game is not of the same standard as that of the English, Americans, French or Scandinavians.

But does that mean that we should just pack it in?

Course not. Because there's a market out there for women's football. It's a growing market and one with plenty of scope to grow further. It offers people who might not attend a mens football game the chance to follow football in person. It offers women the chance to be part of football.

Women's football isnt for me, but I'm not exactly it's target audience. I'm not going to criticise it for not being as good as mens football in the same way that I don't criticise Scottish footballers for not being of the same standard as prime Leo Messi. It has to be judged on its own merits and it has to be marketed and sold on its own merits. It has it's own audience and its own scope to grow. Folk can criticise it for it's own limitations and drawbacks, but that criticism has to be fair and it can't just be "it's not as good as mens football".

He might very well end up being summarily dismissed but there is a disciplinary process to be followed first. That's likely to take a few days. There's really nothing to be taken from the fact that we haven't heard anything one way or the other yet.

I didn't notice the headbutt at the time because what grabbed my attention was the 6foot+ male member of the Celtic party with his hand in the face of a Rangers player, screaming at her.

Sorry I’ve gone on for this for years Women goal keepers are poor in particular shots from distance, they’re physically not agile enough. I have said over and over goal sizes should be slightly smaller in the women’s game, not as a fault of women, but physical aptitude. Why do we have different male and FM sports, simple physical strengths. I’m not coming from a Neanderthal Male, the better half was an Internationalist back in the day, and I seen many a FM game and the definite weak spot is GK. There was a post on here before from a poster who was talking about his Daughter and the FMs game, to which I replied stick in GK and if she came good, she could make a fortune.
Personally I’d say the goals and pitch size probably need to be a bit smaller, but having spoken to female players and coaches they don’t agree. So it’s a tough one.

Another day where I'm embarrassed to be a Rangers supporter. Idiot should be thrown out and banned from football. There's absolutely no excuse for that type of behaviour in a professional setting.

The club are spending £000's on the womens game and something needs done to evaluate the spending.

Idiot coaches, poor standard of player, and a decline in performance.

There's no reason why goalkeepers should be so poor at this level. They are full time and should be working hard on their standards. If they can't respond to good coaching, then move them on.

If the coaching is the problem, get rid of the coach.

We're making excuses and tiptoeing round the subject. Our womens team are a hard watch for a full-time setup, and obviously they aren't coached to a very high standard.

This guy is getting charged for this

Celtic brand Rangers coach’s headbutt on Fran Alonso 'hugely concerning' as Parkhead giants call for action​

The SWPL1 derby was marred by the ugly scenes at the full-time whistle and now Celtic have issued a response.

Celtic have described an attack on coach Fran Alonso as a “hugely concerning incident".

The Parkhead club have spoken out after the controversial scenes at the end of their SWPL 1 derby with Rangers. Ibrox coach Craig McPherson appeared to headbutt Alonso in a fiery end to the fixture with the Celtic women boss also stating he was called “a little rat” after the confrontation which has subsequently been condemned across the game in the aftermath. A Celtic spokesperson commented: “Clearly this is a hugely concerning incident, falling well below any acceptable standard.

"We understand the matter is now being investigated and it will be up to all relevant authorities to take any appropriate action.” A Police Scotland spokesperson also confirmed that they would be looking into the scenes: “We have received a report regarding an incident at Broadwood Stadium on the evening of Monday, 27 March, 2023. Enquiries to establish any criminality are at an early stage.”

Former SFA referee Steve Conroy has demanded that the SFA take firm action against McPherson as he demanded that the Ibrox coach is hit with a lifetime ban. Speaking to BettingSites.co.uk, Conroy said: “It is appalling. He should be instantly removed from his post and banned for life. There is absolutely no mitigation for that. He gave it forethought and should pay the full price for it.

“It's embarrassing that the first SWPL game to be shown live on Sky Sports is grabbing headlines for all the wrong reasons. This is simply thuggish behaviour, and the man involved should face the full consequences. We are trying to get rid of all forms of aggression and intimidation in football from grassroots upwards. This must be dealt with in the appropriate way.”

The Rangers coach MUST now come out and explain why he did what he did as nobody does that for nothing.
It will be totally irrelevant to the criminal charge coming his way.

It was a crazy thing to do.

Personally I’d say the goals and pitch size probably need to be a bit smaller, but having spoken to female players and coaches they don’t agree. So it’s a tough one.
I know quite a few female players in the pyramid.

I have spoken to one (who is very good, has probably already played at higher level than she is just now, and will likely go up a level in the summer) who concedes the goals ‘could’ be smaller.

She copes fine, but having watched quite a lot of woman’s games from youth, to SWPL and SWPL2 then I think it’s a pretty fair point to make. That said, it doesn’t impact me or my viewing pleasure to be honest.

I think there is a lot ‘pride’ perhaps in having the goals, pitches etc the same size but anyway, as another poster pointed out, where is the capital coming from to make these changes we suggest?

Last edited:
You are really determined to bring the sectarian angle into it.
Its a cringey post thats made its way over to twitter and being lampooned. Watched this last night and the guy is an idiot. You just dont get away with that in the modern game. Plus he is fairly shite as well so he should just go and save the club anymore embaressment.

I wanted Thomson, McPherson and Hardie gone a while back and was told that were all good Rangers men and women. This season and last night shows that they’ve got to go.

Amy McDonald has a big job from now to the start of next season to sort out this mess.

Another day where I'm embarrassed to be a Rangers supporter. Idiot should be thrown out and banned from football. There's absolutely no excuse for that type of behaviour in a professional setting.

The club are spending £000's on the womens game and something needs done to evaluate the spending.

Idiot coaches, poor standard of player, and a decline in performance.

There's no reason why goalkeepers should be so poor at this level. They are full time and should be working hard on their standards. If they can't respond to good coaching, then move them on.

If the coaching is the problem, get rid of the coach.

We're making excuses and tiptoeing round the subject. Our womens team are a hard watch for a full-time setup, and obviously they aren't coached to a very high standard.
It seems to be a general thing at Rangers. Pump a lot of money into the infrastructure and then employee shoddy or inexperienced coaches.

The club saying nothing about this is fucking hopeless from them again. They just cannot do anything right. Out of their depth on absolutely everything.
The guy needs to get a good Lawyer and not one that Rangers normally use and needs to start to defend himself here as, the Scottish media and Celtic mouthpieces already have him convicted, banned for life from the game and doing time in the Bar-L

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back