Archive Rangers Women Season 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has been on the radar of the big English clubs for the last 18 months.

Not the only one either.
Not surprised mate we do appear to have a few promising youngsters. I have no idea what kind of money you earn in the Women's game but assume the gap may be even greater between north and south of the border. The league down south seems to be significantly stronger.

Good luck to the lass whatever she chooses she's a talent that's for sure.

Despite the disappointment in their League campaign this season, isn't it a great credit to the club and its development of the women's game, that 7 of the current Women's squad have been called up by Scotland? When we add in Erin Cuthbert who started her career at Rangers this is a tremendous representation.

Doesn't it also show how much our investment in women's football is paying off on a broader front since we are producing and developing the best Scottish talent rather than front-loading with overseas players as appears to be the case with our competitors?

Despite the disappointment in their League campaign this season, isn't it a great credit to the club and its development of the women's game, that 7 of the current Women's squad have been called up by Scotland? When we add in Erin Cuthbert who started her career at Rangers this is a tremendous representation.

Doesn't it also show how much our investment in women's football is paying off on a broader front since we are producing and developing the best Scottish talent rather than front-loading with overseas players as appears to be the case with our competitors?

I think it's a massive positive but also a negative when you look at our league form, we are clearly producing some really talented players mixed with some really good players from the continent.
Hopefully a cup double is on the cards this season.

Indeed. Goes further. Scotland U17s played Israel and Georgia 2 weeks ago and won both games 4-0 with 7 of the 8 goals scored by Bearettes - who comprised 8 of the 21-person squad. Highlights of the Georgia game:

Monday's result was a boot in the baws and women's football in Scotland is a lightyear behind the WSL but we absolutely must have a professional path for young lassies to play football and I'm delighted that Rangers are investing in this.

I think it's a massive positive but also a negative when you look at our league form, we are clearly producing some really talented players mixed with some really good players from the continent.
Hopefully a cup double is on the cards this season.
Yes, that's the enigma. We have a talented squad which is under performing, notably in the big matches against our two closest rivals despite dominating in the majority of those games. We get punished severely by basic defensive errors while we currently lack a really ruthless goal scorer. We fix those and turn chances we create into goals and the picture changes entirely.

The bigger picture is that we are setting the standard for the development of the women's game in Scotland and that is something we should be proud to encourage.

Glad I didn't come on here during the game. Just had a read back through the match and the fallout after.

Some of the comments made about Women, never mind players, are disgraceful by people who nothing about the game or the challenges it faces. I can accept constructive criticism, but classing it as shocking and saying U13 football is better is just ridiculous and make you look just as daft. Thankfully we wont see them in here again until I avoid the next OF match.

Regardless, my thoughts are Fife has been an issue for a number of games and the GK situation hasn't been fixed, whether that's quality of coaching or quality of goalkeeper.

Signing no players in January while Celtic and Glasgow City strengthened was always a concern.

Rangers are pretty one dimensional and lack real flair players (see Chinchilla at City and Jacynta at Celtic) who can turn games and crucially score big goals.
For the investment in the last 3 years, 1 title and 1 Cup isnt going to cut it and some big decisions need to be made, including on Amy McDonald as well as management teams.

Glad I didn't come on here during the game. Just had a read back through the match and the fallout after.

Some of the comments made about Women, never mind players, are disgraceful by people who nothing about the game or the challenges it faces. I can accept constructive criticism, but classing it as shocking and saying U13 football is better is just ridiculous and make you look just as daft. Thankfully we wont see them in here again until I avoid the next OF match.

Regardless, my thoughts are Fife has been an issue for a number of games and the GK situation hasn't been fixed, whether that's quality of coaching or quality of goalkeeper.

Signing no players in January while Celtic and Glasgow City strengthened was always a concern.

Rangers are pretty one dimensional and lack real flair players (see Chinchilla at City and Jacynta at Celtic) who can turn games and crucially score big goals.
For the investment in the last 3 years, 1 title and 1 Cup isnt going to cut it and some big decisions need to be made, including on Amy McDonald as well as management teams.
Wherever the fault lies with the lack of trophies, I don't think it fair to attribute it to Amy McDonald whose drive and initiative in raising the profile and increasing the priority given to the Women's team and girls academy has been immeasurable.

What would we give to be able to say that our men's squad has contributed 7 players to the Scotland national team, with several being products of our youth development system? In addition, as pointed out by Carson's Cat, producing 8 players from the Academy to account for over a third of the Scottish U17 Girls squad is further testament to the progress we are making.

Rangers women's coach Craig McPherson has been charged by the Scottish FA over the alleged headbutt on Celtic boss Fran Alonso.

The Ibrox employee has been cited by the Scottish FA for a disciplinary hearing on April 13 after the explosive scenes following a 1-1 draw on Monday evening.
Sky Sports cameras appeared to capture the alleged incident between McPherson and Alonso which sparked fury between players and coaching staff at full-time.
Police Scotland launched an investigation into the matter on Tuesday with early enquiries underway.

While Celtic released a statement on the "hugely concerning" alleged incident.
Now, a Scottish FA disciplinary update has been released with McPherson charged with allegedly breaching rule 77.
It reads: "A recognised football body, club, official, Team Official, other member of Team Staff, player, match official or other person under the jurisdiction of the Scottish FA shall, at all times, act in the best interests of Association Football.
"Furthermore such person or body shall not act in any manner which is improper or use any one, or a combination of, violent Conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour."

Brogan Hay had the potential to be this but Thompson has done his damnedest to beat this out of her, initially by moving her off the wing and into the middle of the park.
A few seasons back she was phenomenal on the wing, I don't think she's kicked on as well as she could have under the management team.

Given the team in 6th place has a budget 30 times less than that, I think serious questions should be asked whether we are getting value for money.
Don’t underestimate the amount of money Partick Thistle have spent buying their way into the top 6, it’s far more than 30k.

Why? there is plenty of discussion on just this earlier in the thread.

Because it just keeps going around in circles.

The majority of us in this thread support the women's team and want to discuss the team and the games, not go over the same tripe with someone who stumbles across the thread and wants to tell us how the standard of football is dire and how the money could be better spent on the men's team.

The majority of us in this thread support the women's team and want to discuss the team and the games, not go over the same tripe with someone who stumbles across the thread and wants to tell us how the standard of football is dire and how the money could be better spent on the men's team.
Clearly you see yourself as some sort of moderator for this one thread. The fact you don't want to debate the budget tells me all I need to know.

Rangers are probably going to finish 1 place above Hearts in the men’s league, how many times bigger is the budgets there.

I’ll repeat it again though, Partick Thistle do not only spend 30k. They’ve got one of, if not the biggest squads in the league and at least one of their players picks up about 3k in expenses over the season, not to mention the rest of what they spend.

Amy Muir and Jenna Clark are also former Rangers youths.

Clearly you see yourself as some sort of moderator for this one thread. The fact you don't want to debate the budget tells me all I need to know.
As i said if you want to debate the money spent on the team, then create a thread and i'll happily debate it with you there.

The afters of the game aside, that goalkeeping error was an absolute howler

I can’t for the life of me begin to understand why she has came so far outside her box

Mate if you want to debate the cost of money spent on Rangers Women, make a separate thread on it.

This isn't the thread for it.
Why not?
Its about our women’s team and their failure to win a league despite spending the money doing so

Why not?
Its about our women’s team and their failure to win a league despite spending the money doing so

It's not really though.
It's a thinly veiled attempt to disparage the women's team and the money spent on it.
As someone else pointed out, what's the difference in budgets between the men's team in 2nd and hearts in third place, does that mean the men's team is a waste of money too.

If you have read my threads re FM goalkeepers, you’ll know I have always said they’re a weak spot in every team, not their fault it’s the human anatomy. I have called for years for slightly smaller goals. I don’t come from this a newby, the better half was an internationalist, back when the game was outlawed, scored a Becham against the Scum under 18s. So from the late 60s onwards watching FM football this weak point as stuck out like a sore thumb. Our present GK has had some howlers and she’s getting professional training. To me the whole Women’s game structure needs looking at Rangers to be more professional.

Brogan Hay had the potential to be this but Thompson has done his damnedest to beat this out of her, initially by moving her off the wing and into the middle of the park.
A few seasons back she was phenomenal on the wing, I don't think she's kicked on as well as she could have under the management team.

plus his usual procedure is to sub her first
even in games she is causing havoc

Do you think spending £1 million is acceptable to finish a mere 3 places above a club who spend 30 odd grand? I don't.

That question has literally no correlation to the Rangers Women's success.

We can't help what the budget is in the lower areas of that league.

Should Man City chuck it because Brighton's operating cost is a fraction of theirs or should they be compared to their rivals in Arsenal and Man U ?

There's value in the Rangers Woman's team for all sorts of reasons and when compared with the two other teams in the league, it's there or thereabouts.

Rangers are probably going to finish 1 place above Hearts in the men’s league, how many times bigger is the budgets there.

I’ll repeat it again though, Partick Thistle do not only spend 30k. They’ve got one of, if not the biggest squads in the league and at least one of their players picks up about 3k in expenses over the season, not to mention the rest of what they spend.
My information on Thistle's budget comes from someone who should know. I'll leave it there.

That line I’d agree with you on.
However, it’s a legitimate thread for discussing value for money
It's not really though.
It's a thinly veiled attempt to disparage the women's team and the money spent on it.
As someone else pointed out, what's the difference in budgets between the men's team in 2nd and hearts in third place, does that mean the men's team is a waste of money too.
That’s your interpretation.
As for the money spent in the men’s team being wasted, that’s in every other thread about the men’s team so not your best line of defence.

On a happier note, the Arsenal burdz were brilliant vs the Bayern fräuleins last night. Had they gone in 4-0 up at HT it wouldn't have flattered them. Dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but a great result for them and a really enjoyable watch.

Chelsea play Lyon tonight and are a goal up. The match will be streamed on YT and I'll definitely be watching.

That line I’d agree with you on.
However, it’s a legitimate thread for discussing value for money

That’s your interpretation.
As for the money spent in the men’s team being wasted, that’s in every other thread about the men’s team so not your best line of defence.

There isn't a call for the men's game to be scrapped and money spent elsewhere though.

Of course, there is a scope for discussing the value for money in this thread, however, a lot of the posters who come into the thread talking about the money spent on the woman's game don't want to discuss the value for money, only that the money could be better spent elsewhere, these people have no prior posts in any of the threads on the women's game, but want to jump straight into the money aspect.

I would agree that for the money we're spending, finishing third in the league is not good enough, anyone who says similar is completely correct, but there are sinister undertones in the way people bring the money spent on the women's team into the discussion.

On a happier note, the Arsenal burdz were brilliant vs the Bayern fräuleins last night. Had they gone in 4-0 up at HT it wouldn't have flattered them. Dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but a great result for them and a really enjoyable watch.

Chelsea play Lyon tonight and are a goal up. The match will be streamed on YT and I'll definitely be watching.

The first goal was a cracker. Can't see anyone stopping Barcelona to win the trophy though.

Chelsea join Arsenal in the Women’s CL semi finals. 1-2 down going into last few seconds of added time and they get a penalty after a lengthy VAR review, then go on to win through on sudden death penalties.
Football is a cruel mistress. Chelsea were second to everything last night and the usually reliable Eriksson had a bit of a mare. However, there's no such thing as a moral winner and Berger's second penalty save was a cracker. A bit of a boot in the baws to the, "women's goalies are shite and need wee goals" brigade.

Better angle on Berger's save

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back