Rangers wonder kid Alexander Smith on verge of joining Arsenal

He is several months short of his 16th birthday.

You honestly think he should be playing any first team football against men?

Don't think he has even been near the B Team.
A 16 year old played for Barcelona, away to Napoli in the last 16 of the CL. I think the boy would be OK against Dumbarton & Ayr. Its this mentality that's hindered our youth for decades.

I listened to a radio documentary a few years ago on why young players were choosing to sign for Man City/ Chelsea instead of Man Utd. It wasn't just the money on offer to the young player - it was the way that the whole family were looked after. Parents were offered houses and jobs would be found for them in the same area as their son and any siblings were offered a place at a local private school. Everything was taken care of and I'm assuming that clubs like Arsenal are on that kind of level of support. It's no surprise that kids sign for these clubs.

Watched a 15yr old get game time for Blackburn in the cup the other month. Admittedly, it was minutes, in an already won cup tie, but it must have been some boost to the lad that he's being well thought of.

A 16 year old played for Barcelona, away to Napoli in the last 16 of the CL. I think the boy would be OK against Dumbarton & Ayr. Its this mentality that's hindered our youth for decades.
Agree that the "he's still too young" thing is over played. Some are still even running it out for Lowry for goodness sake
But in this case I'd have huge reservations about throwing a 15 yo into these games lest some no mark yahoo thug decided to "sort him out" and ended his career before it began

Just like we lost Gilmour and they lost Doak, folk have to accept this is the way of it.
I agree it's the "way it is", but it's a bit annoying that a club can identify and develop a future superstar, and receive only a 6 (7 at most) figure fee as compensation when signed by bags-of-money clubs. Yes, not every youngster works out, but the ones that do land them high 7 or 8 figure fees in the long run.

I'd like to see some sort of sell on % added to the development fee system, where the club a player is signed from receives a fixed % of the first professional transfer fee paid for that player.

I'd like to see us insert a clause in any deal for these youngsters that we get first option if they are subsequently putting these players out on loan.

He’s a very good young player. Seen him playing for Scotland under 16s against Australia a few weeks ago. Best player on the park

The draw of England is massive.

We also don't really have enough to lean on to make a young player want to stay, the pathway from youth to first team just isn't really a philosophy we have

Lamine Yamal was playing for Barcelona first teams at 15 so it's not completely unheard of(& those were La Liga matches, not cup gamesv lower league opposition). I have no idea how Smith compares to him physically though

We keep a load of our top talents, more often than not.

King (several times for two of the biggest clubs in football) and Lowry turned down EPL moves to stay with us. Others too. King played 25ish games last season, a fair amount of games for the lad.

I’d love us to bring through ready made players all the time too, sadly it doesn’t happen. It seldom does in football.
I do wonder what Beales plan actually was for King at the start of the season. He signed Balo and almost cast him aside and clearly didn't trust Leon, think if Big Phil started this season in charge he would have definitely looked to organise a good loan for Leon.

Agree that the "he's still too young" thing is over played. Some are still even running it out for Lowry for goodness sake
But in this case I'd have huge reservations about throwing a 15 yo into these games lest some no mark yahoo thug decided to "sort him out" and ended his career before it began
Yeah that's true.

These headlines are like this for a reason. Calling him a wonder kid when majority of the fan base had likely never heard of him.

It sucks we lose players who have potential but that's the nature of the beast. The standards at Arsenal will be next level for him and I'd imagine it would be very difficult to turn down.

With our youths we don’t give them a chance to flourish, mcausland was one who I thought had less of a chance but he’s came in and been giving a specific role of working alongside tav. When Lowry started to get games we should have stuck by him the way we have with mcausland

People need to remember that these boys are not always fans and nor are the families.
Even as a fan and if my boy is playing at Rangers U16's and he gets a chance at Arsenal, he is off (provided that's what he wants) in an instant.

Always baffles me that kids like this would want to risk it to move to one of these clubs, keep doing what your doing and you'll be in the Rangers first team playing European football getting better and better then go for big bucks or risk it all to end up not playing due to the sheer amount of talent they already have and being loned out to championship clubs, Billy Gilmore springs to mind never hit his full potential that I think he would have done if he'd stayed especially when Gerrard was gaffer.

Back