Rangers Youths v Ajax Youth happening now

Well done to the youngsters and probably got a bit of an education at the same time about keeping calm and organised - and doing the things for the full 90mins that got them to a 4 - 0 position.

Brilliant result. Victories over some of the biggest clubs and most renewed academies in the world over the last year or so. Huge credit to all the coaches at the club

Brilliant, I would love us to work with Ajax at various youth levels and see what it is they do right.

I would imagine a few Ajax boys coming over here and a few of our boys going out there for say 3 months during a season would be massive for their development.

Interesting we started Mayo, Breen & Finlayson btw.

Doubt it was 3-5-2 as we started 3 full backs (Maxwell probably at his original position left wing) and Kennedy.

So one of the centre backs may of been playing CDM, trying to improve Mayo’s ability on the ball?
Interesting setup yes . Lewis is already quite two footed and capable with ball . I’m not aware of him having played CDM

Looks to me we had 2 RBs in starters and just James Maxwell for LB tho

Some result this. We certainly appear to have some talented youths in this age group.
Previously, the question was always “ what happens to our players in between youth and first team”?
Maybe it’s just that we don’t give them first ream opportunities.
Maybe we feel we can’t.
Maybe it’s just the Scottish game.

Rangers will win convincingly but in a few years Ajax will sell a few of they players for hundreds of millions pounds probably Haha.
This really is my point.
How can they do this?
What happens to ours in that next stage of development?
What do we need to do to replicate this?
I should qualify this a bit by adding that the current approach to our youth development does seem to be a massive upgrade on anything we've done previously and might be the answer.

The kid maxwell came on at LB v Chelsea

Definitely liked the look of him
Don’t know much about him other than looked good on that occasion.

I played on the left so have a soft spot when I see talented left footers

Hope he kicks on
James came to rangers when jimmy Nicholl came in again ,James was at Falkirk with him,naturally a left wing but being converted into a modern fullback by the looks of things

James came to rangers when jimmy Nicholl came in again ,James was at Falkirk with him,naturally a left wing but being converted into a modern fullback by the looks of things
I thought I’d seen somewhere James maxwell had missed a large chunk of seasons on injuries which are now cleared is that correct ?

It’s not hard to see now that with Docherty and McCrorie going out on loan, these youngsters will be seeing a good bit of first team action elsewhere to continue their development, in a bid to get them ready for the top team.

Ajax scored a free kick, penalty & a header.

Fantastic result. Youth system just keeps improving & improving.

Very interesting to see the levels it can reach if we keep the right people in charge
The danger is always the money and prestige the English academies can offer but yes, a good youth academy would be huge for the club.

The danger is always the money and prestige the English academies can offer but yes, a good youth academy would be huge for the club.
We can negate the financial advantage to a point by replicating the loan system used by these clubs but, more so, getting players to the first team.
There is no doubt in my mind that there are agents and parents advising kids that the best way to play for Rangers would be to join Chelsea on loan, as an example.
You get the grounding, and the money of course, and if you don’t quite make it to their first team, you’ll have plenty of options.

Johan Cruyff, who died in 2016, is considered the finest exponent of the 'Total Football' philosophy, a style of play pioneered by the Netherlands team of the 1970s. He managed Jordi during the formative years of his son's playing career at Barcelona in the early 1990s.

When you see and hear the emotion people have when they talk about my father, I know he was a special man.

When he came to Barcelona it was a difficult time politically. He came with the chains and the long hair and a free spirit, not caring about the past. Many people remember that attitude he had. Others remember the courage he had to play how he wanted, no matter what. Even when he didn't win trophies he still had that same way of playing.

It's symbolic to have the mini-stadium at Barcelona named after him because it's the last step before going to the first team and my father was well known as a coach who wanted to give opportunities to young players.

I find myself thinking about my dad a lot when I am thinking about certain decisions now I'm a manager. When I do that I usually go for the young player or the most offensive player!

Johan Cruyff, who died in 2016, is considered the finest exponent of the 'Total Football' philosophy, a style of play pioneered by the Netherlands team of the 1970s. He managed Jordi during the formative years of his son's playing career at Barcelona in the early 1990s.

When you see and hear the emotion people have when they talk about my father, I know he was a special man.

When he came to Barcelona it was a difficult time politically. He came with the chains and the long hair and a free spirit, not caring about the past. Many people remember that attitude he had. Others remember the courage he had to play how he wanted, no matter what. Even when he didn't win trophies he still had that same way of playing.

It's symbolic to have the mini-stadium at Barcelona named after him because it's the last step before going to the first team and my father was well known as a coach who wanted to give opportunities to young players.

I find myself thinking about my dad a lot when I am thinking about certain decisions now I'm a manager. When I do that I usually go for the young player or the most offensive player!

When SG eventually selects at least 1 youth player on bench against likes of East Fife then allow yourself to get carried away, till that happens then don't get carried away with things, youth department can only do so much its then up to SG. While we chase the dark side it will get even harder, although not sure why a single talented youth player cannot make a bench place

Interesting that Ajax have marked the pitch into sections.
What is the thinking behind this?

I'd be interested to hear about this too. You'd assume it's for players to know their positions when the ball is in certain areas of the field or something along those lines.

I'd be interested to hear about this too. You'd assume it's for players to know their positions when the ball is in certain areas of the field or something along those lines.
Yeah, I assume it is to help with pitch geography (No need for a Mark Warburton joke here.), but I just wonder how it is used as a tool to teach young players, unless there is some other reason for them?

Yeah, I assume it is to help with pitch geography (No need for a Mark Warburton joke here.), but I just wonder how it is used as a tool to teach young players, unless there is some other reason for them?

Hard to tell from the video but it could be as simple as 'we must have two players in the same sector as the ball, whether we are defending or attacking'. In other words we press when out of possession and we always have a short pass available when in possession.

I'm sure its way more complex than that but I'm sure you get my drift.

Back