RangersTV Friday Preview Show

Valley Bluenose

RTV? Completed it mate!
A wee reminder that this is on again this evening at 2000hrs. Last week's debut show was available for free on RangersTV and on YouTube. From here on in its RangersTV only and subscribers (any package) only. EDIT: I now see they are screening it for free on YouTube this week again. Thoroughly enjoyed it last week and would recommend watching it if you have a subscription.

A welcome addition to the RangersTV catalogue. For the basic £6 per month they are giving really good value these days, even if you can't stretch to the live matches.

Last edited:
Thought it was 'ok' last week. Pretty bland in all honesty.

The darkish studio background doesn't do it any favours either.

Hopefully it evolves and we see improvements.

Thought it was 'ok' last week. Pretty bland in all honesty.

The darkish studio background doesn't do it any favours either.

Hopefully it evolves and we see improvements.
Same studio - and background - they use on matchday. Certainly beats the BBC Scotland 'lighter' background - with folk walking past or peering in the windows LOL.

Maybe a bit more video footage, particularly of matches, would help in that respect?

The 'studio' could certainly do with a revamp and a bit of life thrown at it.

If this show is generally just going to be Emma Dodds chatting with an Allan Hutton about clichéd stuff, then I'll probably give it a miss most of the time.

Hopefully more 'features' are added as it evolves, but who knows.

A wee reminder that this is on again this evening at 2000hrs. Last week's debut show was available for free on RangersTV and on YouTube. From here on in its RangersTV only and subscribers (any package) only. Thoroughly enjoyed it last week and would recommend watching it if you have a subscription.

A welcome addition to the RangersTV catalogue. For the basic £6 per month they are giving really good value these days, even if you can't stretch to the live matches.

Enjoyed it last week.

I said this on last weeks thread too, but was disappointed that clips from this show were used in place of a live studio presentation for the Killie game. Hopefully back to normal tomorrow.

I said this on last weeks thread too, but was disappointed that clips from this show were used in place of a live studio presentation for the Killie game. Hopefully back to normal tomorrow.
To be honest, that's kinda par for the course. Virtually all the stuff you see on the pre-match show is made up of clips of interviews, training sessions etc that were made available on RangersTV earlier in the week plus some footage from previous games. The only contemporary/live stuff is the in-studio chat and the Manager's interview immediately pre-match.

Could maybe spice it up a bit with some fan interviews from outside the stadium or footage from the fanzone perhaps.

Its probably not for everyone but I enjoy the preview of the B Team and Womens Team matches in addition to the 'real' stuff.

To be honest, that's kinda par for the course. Virtually all the stuff you see on the pre-match show is made up of clips of interviews, training sessions etc that were made available on RangersTV earlier in the week plus some footage from previous games. The only contemporary/live stuff is the in-studio chat and the Manager's interview immediately pre-match.

Could maybe spice it up a bit with some fan interviews from outside the stadium or footage from the fanzone perhaps.

Its probably not for everyone but I enjoy the preview of the B Team and Womens Team matches in addition to the 'real' stuff.
So along with the half-time and full-time analysis that was missing, there was also the pre-game discussion of the team news and its potential impact on the game. I think it makes for a much poorer product to have all that removed, and hopefully it was just a one-off.

The RTV stuff really has crashed and burned.

2 minute training videos, hardly any features out with match footage.

Considering the content clubs put out for free on YouTube, the fact we pay for this garbage speaks volumes about the distinct lack of effort from the media part of the club.

Considering the content clubs put out for free on YouTube, the fact we pay for this garbage speaks volumes about the distinct lack of effort from the media part of the club.
I agree. It's far from impressive.

I agree. It's far from impressive.
It’s absolutely dogshit.

It’s a lack of effort, because quite frankly minuscule clubs in our league put out far better content for free on YouTube compared with what we actually pay money for.

Considering the amount of staff we have in the media department, it’s shocking.

This is an essential part of a modern football club and we are operating at a amateur level.

It’s absolutely dogshit.

It’s a lack of effort, because quite frankly minuscule clubs in our league put out far better content for free on YouTube compared with what we actually pay money for.

Considering the amount of staff we have in the media department, it’s shocking.

This is an essential part of a modern football club and we are operating at a amateur level.
It kind of mirrors what goes on around the club in terms of lack of effort and low standards.

You look at ticketing, catering, communication, balls ups on sponsors logo's (STILL no replacement for Sportmongo on fan jerseys), the state of toilets, concourses, dugout roofs etc etc.

It's all lazy lowering of standards nearly everywhere you look.

As you say, amateur hour.

So along with the half-time and full-time analysis that was missing, there was also the pre-game discussion of the team news and its potential impact on the game. I think it makes for a much poorer product to have all that removed, and hopefully it was just a one-off.
I had one of my infrequent visits to Ibrox for the Killie game so missed last weekends matchday show. I was a bit surprised by your comments so went back to review it and was disappointed to find you were correct.

None of the pre-match stuff we normally get with Emma and McCann (or Hutton) and the analysis, rather than these two/three in the studio, came from Tom the Comm and Richard Gough from the gantry at both half-time and full-time. 5 or 6 minutes on each occasion. I'd agree it has a better 'feel' to it when its live from the studio pre-match and I missed the Manager's pre-match 2 minutes or so interview. I'm not overly fussed about the analysis coming from the gantry though, but that might be dependant on who's on co-comms with Tom the Comm.

I suspect it won't change. The pre-recorded stuff with Emma probably suits her itinerary better than being tied down to being at Ibrox every Home match. For Away games the pre-recorded Preview Show slotting in there will be no worse than than the current offering which is basically the Preview Show without Emma and Hutton.

If the Preview Show is being used as the matchday content it kinda renders it a wee but redundant on a Friday night though, unless you are one of those who only tunes in immediately before kick-off.

I had one of my infrequent visits to Ibrox for the Killie game so missed last weekends matchday show. I was a bit surprised by your comments so went back to review it and was disappointed to find you were correct.

None of the pre-match stuff we normally get with Emma and McCann (or Hutton) and the analysis, rather than these two/three in the studio, came from Tom the Comm and Richard Gough from the gantry at both half-time and full-time. 5 or 6 minutes on each occasion. I'd agree it has a better 'feel' to it when its live from the studio pre-match and I missed the Manager's pre-match 2 minutes or so interview. I'm not overly fussed about the analysis coming from the gantry though, but that might be dependant on who's on co-comms with Tom the Comm.

I suspect it won't change. The pre-recorded stuff with Emma probably suits her itinerary better than being tied down to being at Ibrox every Home match. For Away games the pre-recorded Preview Show slotting in there will be no worse than than the current offering which is basically the Preview Show without Emma and Hutton.

If the Preview Show is being used as the matchday content it kinda renders it a wee but redundant on a Friday night though, unless you are one of those who only tunes in immediately before kick-off.
I wonder it it’s to do with the blackout now imposed on Saturday games in the uk and Ireland.now we do have Nord as a business partner which is the clubs way of saying “here’s how you can watch games on rtv” but not having the full show we had the last two seasons.

What is it you want to see mate? They do welcome feedback you know. RTV is awash with interviews, press conferences, meet the player features, match reaction stuff from players and staff, Thomas Buffel interview, the Inside Ibrox, Inside Broadwood, Away Days stuff, mic'd up players (Sam Kerr in this instance) - I make it 41 videos that are not live match footage since last Friday. That's without getting to some marvellous archive footage.

There's currently 13,162 videos on there. Surely something to your taste?

I wonder it it’s to do with the blackout now imposed on Saturday games in the uk and Ireland.now we do have Nord as a business partner which is the clubs way of saying “here’s how you can watch games on rtv” but not having the full show we had the last two seasons.
Hadn't considered that actually. Guess its a possibility, though I'm still leaning towards simply negating the requirement to have Emma/McCann there for 3/4 hours on a Saturday afternoon when they were actually only 'on screen' for maybe 15-30 minutes at most.

What is it you want to see mate? They do welcome feedback you know. RTV is awash with interviews, press conferences, meet the player features, match reaction stuff from players and staff, Thomas Buffel interview, the Inside Ibrox, Inside Broadwood, Away Days stuff, mic'd up players (Sam Kerr in this instance) - I make it 41 videos that are not live match footage since last Friday. That's without getting to some marvellous archive footage.

There's currently 13,162 videos on there. Surely something to your taste?
The training videos are so infrequent and when they do upload footage, your talking 2/6 minutes maximum.

Clubs have really started to look at what’s trending on the likes of TikTok and the like, getting players to do challenges and show a different side to them as opposed to asking them what they thought of the goal they scored at the weekend. The interviews are full as dishwater, usually led by RTV Nick who asks them they same question about the fans just in 4 different ways in the same interview.

The content is dated and just not up to standard.

The training videos are so infrequent and when they do upload footage, your talking 2/6 minutes maximum.

Clubs have really started to look at what’s trending on the likes of TikTok and the like, getting players to do challenges and show a different side to them as opposed to asking them what they thought of the goal they scored at the weekend. The interviews are full as dishwater, usually led by RTV Nick who asks them they same question about the fans just in 4 different ways in the same interview.

The training videos, other than letting us all play the 'who's wearing bibs this week' game to try and guess the team are, in all honesty, a bit boring. We are only ever going to see them doing the same routines we see every time.

I do agree on your second bit though about using interviews or other bits and pieces to get to know the players a bit better and see another side of them. We used to get a lot of challenges and games, for want of a better description, recorded pre-season and then released over the course of the Winter. I saw a thread this morning on some of the stuff they did in Portugal - 'what do you think of when you see this man' with a photo of Scott Arfield - light hearted stuff that breaks away from the formal interview side of things. There was other stuff last season with the players having to guess who a teammate was from a one-word description. I'm sure we will see similar this time around as well. The players seemed willing to do it in Portugal but maybe the management don't feel it appropriate when in the midst of a season? I can imagine the slating they'd get putting that sort of stuff out in the run up to a defeat by the Dhims for example. Nevertheless, its a fair point you raise and hopefully we see more in future as it would, I guess, be more 'attractive' to the younger generation.

I enjoy RangersTV, and I'm on there every day. Admittedly, primarily for match content from one or other of our teams. The other stuff is just a wee side-show for me. You clearly don't agree. C'est La Vie.

A wee reminder that this is on again this evening at 2000hrs. Last week's debut show was available for free on RangersTV and on YouTube. From here on in its RangersTV only and subscribers (any package) only. Thoroughly enjoyed it last week and would recommend watching it if you have a subscription.

I think they're doing this now to replace the pre match stuff they did on RTV, basically scaling down because we can't sell the home games in the UK anymore, so if you watch it tonight and are planning on watching on RTV tomorrow it will double up as the pre match build up!

I think they're doing this now to replace the pre match stuff they did on RTV, basically scaling down because we can't sell the home games in the UK anymore, so if you watch it tonight and are planning on watching on RTV tomorrow it will double up as the pre match build up!
Yup, as discussed later in the thread, I think you are bang-on with that mate. Only realised when I went back and watched the footage from last Saturday (which I hadn't seen previously).

The training videos, other than letting us all play the 'who's wearing bibs this week' game to try and guess the team are, in all honesty, a bit boring. We are only ever going to see them doing the same routines we see every time.

I do agree on your second bit though about using interviews or other bits and pieces to get to know the players a bit better and see another side of them. We used to get a lot of challenges and games, for want of a better description, recorded pre-season and then released over the course of the Winter. I saw a thread this morning on some of the stuff they did in Portugal - 'what do you think of when you see this man' with a photo of Scott Arfield - light hearted stuff that breaks away from the formal interview side of things. There was other stuff last season with the players having to guess who a teammate was from a one-word description. I'm sure we will see similar this time around as well. The players seemed willing to do it in Portugal but maybe the management don't feel it appropriate when in the midst of a season? I can imagine the slating they'd get putting that sort of stuff out in the run up to a defeat by the Dhims for example. Nevertheless, its a fair point you raise and hopefully we see more in future as it would, I guess, be more 'attractive' to the younger generation.

I enjoy RangersTV, and I'm on there every day. Admittedly, primarily for match content from one or other of our teams. The other stuff is just a wee side-show for me. You clearly don't agree. C'est La Vie.

Gio will have a big say in terms of training videos in how much and what they're allowed to put out publicly but the media guys aren't at Auchenhowie on a daily basis.

When results go bad and club put out features that are light hearted the abuse under every social media makes it pointless for them as it doesn't achieve what it's set out to do. If players are given down time when results aren't going well to do RTV features are people going to be happy about it? Course they aren't.

It’s on too late for me.

Thanks for the reminder @Valley Bluenose

It’s a bit like watching Sportscene in my youth. I’m only interested in the Rangers first team, so when the B Team and the Women’s team came on last week, I’m sorry, but that’s not for me. I could have turned it off after 20 minutes when they moved on from the first team.

I will be doing so tonight :shh:

I can understand why the club charges for the RTV coverage to cover costs etc. Ideally it would be free on YouTube like EPL clubs can afford, but for £6 a month it’s really not worth the money.
Happy to pay for the full bhuna though, that is well worth it. A lifesaver for those of us that can’t get to games.

It's less than the cost of getting the Sunday Mail every week.

Just saying.

Anyone got RTV working on the Firestick?

Not tried it yet, but quality is poor when I cast want to get it better on the TV

Anyone got RTV working on the Firestick?

Not tried it yet, but quality is poor when I cast want to get it better on the TV
Its a real pain in the arse trying to play videos because of the dreaded 'white bar of death'. Silk will play live matches fine but for video you probably need to use an alternative browser like TVBro. There's details on it in the 'bumper' RangersTV thread. Post in there if you need help finding it.

The App can be sideloaded to the new 4kMAX Fire TV Stick, and allegedly works well enough, but that is the only Fire TV Stick you can sideload it on. It will not work with any others.

Its a real pain in the arse trying to play videos because of the dreaded 'white bar of death'. Silk will play live matches fine but for video you probably need to use an alternative browser like TVBro. There's details on it in the 'bumper' RangersTV thread. Post in there if you need help finding it.

The App can be sideloaded to the new 4kMAX Fire TV Stick, and allegedly works well enough, but that is the only Fire TV Stick you can sideload it on. It will not work with any others.

Seen a site, I'll give it a go and report back :)

Just as an aside on this, yesterdays training video was 8 minutes and is one of the better ones. I much prefer when I can hear some of the stuff the coaches are saying/shouting to the players. In this case Vos and GvB. Also very noticeable that GvB is there for every session we see and, indeed, seems to regularly take part in some of the training drills. Much more involved than Gerrard ever was on the face of it.

I've noticed Sakala, Jack and Yilmaz feature prominently in this weeks stuff. Could be meaningless of course.

Back