RangersTV - Tips and Troubleshooting

Valley Bluenose

RTV? Completed it mate!
Long post but if it helps just one RangersTV viewer it’s worth it. Will try to post as often as is necessary to help new subscribers/match-by-match purchasers.

I’ve tried to pull together the various bits of advice that have been posted on the multiple RangersTV threads. Remember, for most matches, if you are watching from the UK you will need a VPN as well.

TIPS

1. For those paying in sterling, the Unlimited subscription costs £17.25 per month/£193.90 annually, regardless of any figure you see in dollars. Click on the Buy Now button to reveal sterling prices.

2. When you first subscribe you will get emails from an agency called WorldPay, who collect the subscriptions on behalf of RangersTV. This will include notification of a login/password (which you can change) to the WorldPay website. Keep a record of these details as the easiest way to cancel or check a subscription, should you wish to, is via WorldPay. Their website login is at:

https://secure.worldpay.com/fp/jsp/common/login_shopper.jsp

EDIT 1: To check when RangersTV received your last payment login to RangersTV and go to the Account tab. It will show a rate of £0.00 but that's irrelevant - just check the date the last monthly payment was taken. Your account will be 'live' for 1 month from that date. To change/update your credit/debit card for payments with WorldPay, go to the link above and login to WorldPay. Click on the Agreement Number that comes up on the next page. Firstly, check your card details are correct - including the expiry date. Check when the next payment is due (should hopefully be sometime in the next month). If you need to make changes to your card details simply click on the 'Change Payment Details' tab and do so. If you click on the 'View Payments' tab you will see a list of payments taken from you to date - check when the last one was. Hopefully it was sometime in the last month. Your subscription should be valid for 1 month from that date.

3. Live matches are intended only for viewing outside the UK and RoI (there are some early season exceptions) so you will require a VPN (Virtual Private Network). This allows you to disguise your internet location. Even if viewing from Glasgow your internet location can be set to Amsterdam, Paris etc. by using the VPN. Its best to pick a location nearer to the UK than pick the USA, for example. This gets around the geo-restrictions on the stream. There are many free and paid-for VPNs available. Paid-for tends to be faster and more secure. Most commonly recommended are ExpressVPN and NordVPN. If you take out a 24-36-month subscription they are available for less than £3 per month. Both have tutorials on how to download and setup available on their websites. You need to have your VPN turned on in order to login and stream the match. Once you have the stream running you can, if you choose, switch off the VPN (some find it helps with the quality of the stream – particularly if you are using a free VPN) but you don’t have to. If you do, and you lose the stream for any reason and need to refresh, then you will need to turn on the VPN once again before you do so.

4. When you want to login to view a match avoid doing so via the link to purchase the match (there have been reports of the odd user finding themselves charged twice when they do so). Simply go to the RangersTV login link below and sign in.

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/login

5. To find the match stream, once logged in go to the box where it says ‘Show Me Videos About’. Leave the Search box EMPTY and click on ‘Search’. This brings up a list of videos in date order, most recent first, and will include the link to the match stream.

6. Don’t try to purchase the match – or login to RangersTV – at the last minute. If you can, buy the game at least 1 hour before kick-off. Try and login about 45-60 minutes before kick-off. Initially you will simply see a still photograph but around 15-30 minutes before kick-off (depending whether it’s a home or away match) the stream should kick in. If it doesn’t, simply Refresh your browser.

7. Make sure you don’t have FollowFollow open in another tab whilst watching the match stream. I’ve found that it really messes it up. Even though I have an adblocker I assume this is because FollowFollow is trying to load adverts in the background. Close that FollowFollow tab and, if you really must follow the ‘wonderful’ match thread, login on a separate device such as a tablet instead.

8. Once you have the stream running adjust the Quality settings. Go to the little icon in the bottom right hand corner that looks like 4 small squares and click on it. From the pop-up menu change the setting from ‘Auto’ to ‘1080p.’ I find it keeps the stream much smoother. I’ve had it all the way down to 540p and still had a very good stream.

9. If you have no sound then find the Unmute button. Roll the mouse over it (usually in top left corner) and click to Unmute.

10. It IS possible to be logged-in and watching the stream on multiple devices at the same time. Be aware that doing so is, of course, depriving RangersTV of much-needed cash by denying them a second subscription. I will leave that to your conscience as there will be some circumstances when doing so is reasonable. Also, RangersTV are currently trialling a commercial package for pubs and clubs. The SLO has posted a list of venues who have paid their cash for the first two such matches. If you find a pub/club showing the match who have not paid the full commercial rate and are simply using a single-user, personal login to stream the match then please report them to the Club. I understand the going rate for pubs/clubs is £250 per match. Most will make more than that through additional custom/sales.

TROUBLESHOOTING

A little bit of self-help can go a long way. The vast majority have a good experience with RangersTV. If you don’t, then ask yourself why, rather than simply saying ‘RangersTV is sh*t’. There will be a reason you are having issues.

This is based entirely upon watching via laptop/pc, hooked up via HDMI to a television where appropriate. I will leave it to others to advise in more detail on casting, Firesticks, PS4s, logging in via SmartTV and the likes. In general, SmartTVs are very much hit and miss – some will work, some won’t. If casting from an iPhone or iPad then using an AppleTV seems the best wires-free option, or you can get the Apple lightning-to-HDMI connector to do it wired. There are other ways via various apps that, again, can be a bit hit and miss. Android casting seems simpler.

11. If your stream is buffering try adjusting the Quality settings as per point 8 above. If needs be try dropping the Quality down to 760P. I’ve had it as low as 540p in the past and the picture has still been fine but the buffering gone.

12. Another little ‘trick’ to try once the stream is running is to move the blue slider bar along the bottom back by about 30 seconds. It means your stream will be a little further behind than is ‘normal’ but some report it has helped with any issues they have.

13. If all else fails – and we are getting into more complicated territory now – some deeper investigation will be necessary. Never mind that you have 70 zillion megabytes broadband or that Netflix works like a dream, something is stopping your RangersTV working - so do some troubleshooting. Good Luck with it if you have to get this far.

Is the problem only when you login on your home broadband? Have you tried logging in on your laptop/phone, for example, via someone else’s broadband?

Have you tried logging into RangersTV on a friend’s laptop/phone whilst on YOUR home broadband and does it have the same problems?

Have you tried logging in on THEIR laptop/phone on THEIR home broadband to see if the issue persists there as well?

Try your equipment in another location and then try someone else’s equipment in your location in order to try and isolate the problem in other words.

Last edited:
Really helpful thread but do have to say since purchasing worldwide , I’ve never had a single issue watching games on my tv if they are Uk screened or worldwide using my iPad via free vpn.

Hopefully that will be the same for Thursday but now have bookmarked your thread !

Brilliant post OP Should be sticky

Another tip if your watching via laptop and HDMI and want it delayed you have 2 options.... 1 start the feed just before kickoff then press pause when your ready to continue scroll the progress bar back and press play (not refresh)

or if the match has finished press account then select the game and watch from the start uk matches only or you'll need VPN

im always a few hours behind due to commuting or kids/family but never have a problem in not finding out the score and watching delayed coverage via VPN connected link

Belive it or not the best 1080p HD Quality ive had is with Microsoft Edge chrome seems to stutters for me personally, i dont use Edge for anything else however

I have a Sony Smart TV and can get to the Rangers TV login no problem However when I put in my username I can't get to the password window to complete th e procedure.Any ideas ? Or do I just watch on my IPad as usual

I have a Sony Smart TV and can get to the Rangers TV login no problem However when I put in my username I can't get to the password window to complete th e procedure.Any ideas ? Or do I just watch on my IPad as usual

I’ve only once tried with a Smart TV and I got nowhere. Kinda obvious suggestion but does the down button not take you from Login to Password?

Great post VB. Your advice got me to subscribe to the £17.25/mth unlimited package instead of paying game by game, and I've never looked back. I can't fault any of your suggestions above, but will say that I've connected my 36in TV as a monitor and get a 1st class picture. A couple of times I've had to temper down the quality, to stop buffering but the picture and sound have been great.
I concur with the previous poster suggesting the OP should be a sticky to avoid the clamour on the matchday thread.
Happy viewing Bears and Bearettes.

Can anyone suggest a decent free and paid VPN on Windows 10? This advice is fantastic, so much so I've just upgraded my account to unlimited. :)

Brilliant post OP Should be sticky

Another tip if your watching via laptop and HDMI and want it delayed you have 2 options.... 1 start the feed just before kickoff then press pause when your ready to continue scroll the progress bar back and press play (not refresh)

or if the match has finished press account then select the game and watch from the start uk matches only or you'll need VPN

im always a few hours behind due to commuting or kids/family but never have a problem in not finding out the score and watching delayed coverage via VPN connected link

Belive it or not the best 1080p HD Quality ive had is with Microsoft Edge chrome seems to stutters for me personally, i dont use Edge for anything else however
That's two of us. Edge for Rangers tv and chrome for FF during game.

Can anyone suggest a decent free and paid VPN on Windows 10? This advice is fantastic, so much so I've just upgraded my account to unlimited. :)

I pay for Private Internet Access (PIA) and use it on Desktop, Laptop, iPad and iPhone without any issue whatsoever, Simple to setup and use - all on default settings. Most recommended paid for are, as I state in the OP, ExpressVPN and NordVPN. The longer the subscription you take out the cheaper it gets - aim for under £3 a month - and watch out for special offers.

I’ve never used a free VPN but have seen TunnelBear and WindScribe recommended. Some browsers also have a built-in VPN, including Opera. There may be some drawbacks with that but perhaps worth a try.

Anyone know what is the best/easiest set up for a firestick?
Download Silk Browser. It’s Amazon’s browser for Firesticks. You can save your log in/password and also save Rangers TV as a favourite, so every time you open it you’re on the login page. I took my firestick to Portugal and watched the Progress second leg and Derby friendly on it in my hotel room with no problems.

My Samsung Smart TV has a similar peculiarity.

I have to type my username in, then press the back button to remove the keyboard. Then I scroll down and click the password box and select it. Once that's typed in I hit the enter button or press back and select log in.

On my TV if you get the password wrong, yiu have to reload the rangers TV log in page otherwise it won't let you log in.

Hope that makes sense

Use the Amazon Silk browser, it's easy to navigate and the full screen button works well. Click on the quality icon at the bottom right corner and take it off automatic, 720 works well for me.
I use IP vanish VPN for non UK games.
The full screen button on silk only shows 3/4 of the picture for me. Have tried it on both firesticks and have the same problem. Its a pain in the arse when I don't have my ipad handy to cast to the telly!

I had the same issue till I added a mini keyboard/game pad for last 3 games. Wireless USB plugin on back of TV.
Works fine and the best picture quality I've ever had now. :))
(used laptop & HDMI with Microsoft Edge before)

The full screen button on silk only shows 3/4 of the picture for me. Have tried it on both firesticks and have the same problem. Its a pain in the arse when I don't have my ipad handy to cast to the telly!
I only get that with Firefox, is it 1st or 2nd gen Firesticks? It might be worth checking there's nothing weird switched on like screen magnifier on the Firestick. I used to use downloader browser then use the zoom on the smaller picture but it was a lot of hassle. It might be worth while resetting the browser.

Use opera browser, it has a vpn built in.
Once you load opera onto pc go to settings and search vpn
Click the slider to enable it.
You will then see a little vpn to the left of your address bar.
This can be toggled on and off as necessary.

I have been using this for over a year on different PCs and laptops and haven't had any issues except that I now just go straight to setting the picture quality away from auto to 1080 as soon as the stream starts, then very rarely have any blurriness/pixelation issues.

It was suggested to me that I include a bit more detail on checking your subscription/cancelling your subscription via WorldPay. I've updated the OP with EDIT 1 to reflect this.

Trialling £250 per match for pubs ?
That might work in some pubs in some cities but not across the board. No need for RTV to kid on its Sky !

Trialling £250 per match for pubs ?
That might work in some pubs in some cities but not across the board. No need for RTV to kid on its Sky !

As I posted in another thread, that's true. However, from small acorns and all that.

To be honest, the scope for this may be limited. In general the attraction is only there when its games that are 'exclusive' to RangersTV in the UK. Effectively then 'some' of the EL qualifiers. Its not going to apply to league games, for example, because they only hold overseas rights. Furthermore, most pubs, for example, will already have Sky Sports and BT Sports and many will have Premier Sports as well. If the game is on one of those channels then that is how they will screen it rather than hook up a laptop for the RangersTV coverage.

As I suggested though, early days, lets see where it takes us.

Hopefully the SLO publishes a list of commercial premises that have bought the package. If any not on his list are showing it then lets report them to the Club. We only have the opportunity for a handful of games a season, let's make the most of it.

Well done VB, you have put a lot of time and effort into that. The more people we can get watching the better. Surely admin should be making this a sticky.

Thank you for this! Very helpful. I'm in the US and thinking about signing up. Two things: am I limited to Unlimited, and am I tied to paying in GBP? If so, it's likely I'd be hit with shit conversions rates and fees. Is this the case?

Thank you for this! Very helpful. I'm in the US and thinking about signing up. Two things: am I limited to Unlimited, and am I tied to paying in GBP? If so, it's likely I'd be hit with shit conversions rates and fees. Is this the case?

No, you can select whichever package you require. Be aware the Unlimited us the only one that will routinely get you live matches though.

As regards costs, for once our colonial cousins would appear to miss out. Taking the Unlimited package as an example it is priced at $299 annual or $28.50. On current conversion rates that comes out at close to £250 and over £22 for the monthly. However, pay in sterling from a UK account and it’s £193.90 or £17.25 (figures are very rough).

For the cheaper packages no price is quoted in dollars when you click on Buy Now. I suspect, therefore, if you are paying from a US account then the daily conversion rate will apply. I guess the message is, if you can pay from a UK account it is probably cheaper to do so.

My Samsung Smart TV has a similar peculiarity.

I have to type my username in, then press the back button to remove the keyboard. Then I scroll down and click the password box and select it. Once that's typed in I hit the enter button or press back and select log in.

On my TV if you get the password wrong, yiu have to reload the rangers TV log in page otherwise it won't let you log in.

Hope that makes sense
Lg smart tv is the same.

I pay for Private Internet Access (PIA) and use it on Desktop, Laptop, iPad and iPhone without any issue whatsoever, Simple to setup and use - all on default settings. Most recommended paid for are, as I state in the OP, ExpressVPN and NordVPN. The longer the subscription you take out the cheaper it gets - aim for under £3 a month - and watch out for special offers.

I’ve never used a free VPN but have seen TunnelBear and WindScribe recommended. Some browsers also have a built-in VPN, including Opera. There may be some drawbacks with that but perhaps worth a try.

Any new subscribers signing up for tonight’s match would do well to heed the advice in the OP for a ‘better’ experience tonight.

Note, in particular, that trying to sign up 15 minutes before kick-off isn’t the best idea.

Last edited:
Any new subscribers signing up for tonight’s match would do well to heed the advice in the OP fir a ‘better’ experience tonight.

Note, in particular, that trying to sign up 15 minutes before kick-off isn’t the best idea.

Yeah I did it last night on the Firestick, seems to be ready to go.
Don't get in from work until 6.45 this evening so hope I don't have any problems logging on.
Do have iptv as a back up fortunately

Another wee reminder to folks to not leave it until the last minute before purchasing the match or, if you have already bought it, logging in and getting the stream running (it will be a still photograph in all likelihood until between 15-30 minutes before kick-off). If you don't have 'moving pictures' by 1845hrs then refresh your screen - which may require you to login again. Or may not.

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/login

For the past few years, the price shown for unlimited has been $299.00. I always pay (using a credit card with no foreign transaction fee, obviously) and for some reason I am never charged $299. This year, I was charged $237.54. At the current exchange rate, it looks like RTV actually charge US customers the same as UK customers, which is good. Don't know why they state that the price is $299.

BTW - remember that - despite the fact that the top line of the RTV Unlimited description is "Every game LIVE, outside the UK and ROI only", in reality they do not show every game live. Last season, I had to email them a few times them to get them to add, to the description of Unlimited, the fact that the Europa league group stages are not shown live. They stuck it at the bottom of their description. And this week I got an email from them confirming that, if we get to, and through, the group stage, the knockout games also won't be shown live on RTV :(

Last edited:
For the past few years, the price shown for unlimited has been $299.00. I always pay (using a credit card with no foreign transaction fee, obviously) and for some reason I am never charged $299. This year, I was charged $237.54. At the current exchange rate, it looks like RTV actually charge US customers the same as UK customers, which is good. Don't know why they state that the price is $299.

That's very interesting to know @SDR Be useful if a few more of our overseas Bears can confirm that (or the monthly cost in dollars that's ACTUALLY taken as opposed to advertised) and, if necessary, I can update the OP.

I have a UK bank account

On the face of it you come out of it very well then - given current exchange rates. There is an indication from @SDR above though that the advertised $299 per year isn't what is ACTUALLY taken. Be great to nail that down for our prospective new subscribers who aren't able to pay with a UK bank account/card.

What time does coverage start tonight?

Kick-off is 1900hrs UK time. For home matches RangersTV 'moving pictures' usually kick-in about 30 minutes prior to kick-off. For away games its often only 15 m inutes prior to kick-off. My money would be on 1845hrs UK time.

All that said, get logged in and click on the match stream about an hour before kick-off is what I'd advise. Will usually be a still shot of the stadium until the 'moving pictures' stuff starts. If you haven't got footage by 1845hrs refresh the screen and, if necessary, login again.

I find having FollowFollow open screws with my stream - so if I want to read FF I do so on iPad whilst viewing the match on desktop.

Edge is definitely the best browser for streaming RangersTV.
Interesting observations. I always get fluctuating quality streams watching RTV using Chrome, with FF open too. I'll try Edge with Chrome and FF closed tonight.

Interesting observations. I always get fluctuating quality streams watching RTV using Chrome, with FF open too. I'll try Edge with Chrome and FF closed tonight.

Edge is the best browser for streaming in my experience. Leave FF closed (follow on a phone/tablet if necessary).

Don't forget to adjust the Quality settings as per para 8 in the OP - that will almost certainly eradicate the fluctuating quality. Drop it to 1080p, if it is still a problem drop to 760p and so on. I've been down at 540p in the past and its been perfectly viewable.

On the face of it you come out of it very well then - given current exchange rates. There is an indication from @SDR above though that the advertised $299 per year isn't what is ACTUALLY taken. Be great to nail that down for our prospective new subscribers who aren't able to pay with a UK bank account/card.

... on the $299 (US) price quoted on the RTV I am saving the equivalent of approx. £40 on the year to what I actually pay.

Edge is the best browser for streaming in my experience. Leave FF closed (follow on a phone/tablet if necessary).

Don't forget to adjust the Quality settings as per para 8 in the OP - that will almost certainly eradicate the fluctuating quality. Drop it to 1080p, if it is still a problem drop to 760p and so on. I've been down at 540p in the past and its been perfectly viewable.
Thanks mate. A consistent HD stream tonight will be awesome. But if we get a great result I won't give a monkey's about the stream! I've got this feeling Ojo and Alfie are going to tear up their defence tonight:))

Back