Rapid Vienna - as a wee aside

6-1 now

THEre will be rammies and protests after this

I remember a Vienna derby at Rapids old stadium having to be abandoned before HT as they were 3-0 down and fans stormed the pitch

They’re at Austria tonight but no doubt the ultras will be at the training ground tomorrow

That was weird days of 2 home and away games in 5 team group.

Harder to get knocked out than to qualify.

Here's a fun fact:

We were the only team in the UEFA Cup group phase to be eliminated with 6 points until Sevilla were also knocked out with that total in 2008/09, four years later than us.

Textbook Alex McLeish!!!

We had a good run in Europe, better than many off us expected,its over now till next season when we will be in the Champions League:)

Was at the game today, anyone's game until the sending off.
Rapid where rubbish after that, I am currently sitting in the Kaiserwasser Arcotel hotel and Rapid are here, some having a beer. Spoke to one and he said they were just "out of gas".
He said they expected more attacking from us on Thursday but we ran the legs off them.
Seemed happy when I informed them we were top of the league.
WATP and always will be

i was very much aware as i stood in sektor 5 on thursday that i was watching 2 teams who were going to take one mighty shalacking in the last 32.

rapid were/are shite, but our plan, given we are shit out of form, was to play it tight until the last 15 and throw the dice.

that's where we are right now and today should only serve to remind us that this our reality. i loved the el run, let's do the business in the league and return to europe with lessons learned.

They were a really poor side, we should have beaten them.
That we should.

We had plenty of possession but created nothing .

That said ,we had some results in Europe this season to be proud of .

We are making progress and as long as that keeps going in the right direction I will be happy.

We are still a few players short of a decent side, Gerrard knows this.

I quite like Rapid Vienna after the last few days - supporters I met were all decent, nice stadium, in general the people in the city were very accommodating to the Rangers fans.

Getting into a Sector 5 was an utter joke but that aside, I like their club.
They will get hosed in the next round though - and we weren’t able to overcome them... it was a clash of ultimately pretty ordinary sides on Thursday night unfortunately.

The result from Vienna today is a head shaker, I mean, how could we have lost to such a team? But, it's gone and today we are top of the league. I'd rather be a Bear today than a Rapid fan. And of course, till the end of time.

They're crap but we are off form. With a cutting edge we would have won. Two goals in 4 games we've scored.

i was very much aware as i stood in sektor 5 on thursday that i was watching 2 teams who were going to take one mighty shalacking in the last 32.

rapid were/are shite, but our plan, given we are shit out of form, was to play it tight until the last 15 and throw the dice.

that's where we are right now and today should only serve to remind us that this our reality. i loved the el run, let's do the business in the league and return to europe with lessons learned.
A person that see's a it as is!! you Sir are an island of sense in a sea of massive expectations !! We are now top of the league !! JUST STAY THERE!!

Back