Match Thread Rapid Wien v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

Maybe I’m the odd man out.
But I’m proud, not angry.
We done so well to get where we are. With a squad assembled over the summer. We’ve played more matches than anyone else we will play this season and I don’t think we have let ourselves down. Yes we came up a bit short but what a fantastic journey since July.

Naw, he's a tim.….or is certainly acting like one!

Haha wrong on both counts.

Just a wee dig at the usual knee jerk doom merchants you find on here after a game like this. Apologies the lack of emoji seems to have caused a bit of a stooshy, what did we ever do before emoji eh!

Be assured I am very happy and proud to be a Rangers supporter tonight.

Europe can be counted as a success this season but I can't help but think qualification was there for the taking. I think the Spartak games were the deciding factor.
The most concerning thing is the squad has went stale very quickly. We need to find two midfielders of the highest quality, that we can afford. We should Also be recalling Docherty as well.
Katic needs to be introduced back into the first 11 and reassured he's going to be one of the two. Tav looks flat and needs a rest.
I really wasn't impressed by Arfield tonight and if we're going to improve, we need better than him.

I think losing Murphy has been a big blow. I think us going a bit backwards can be traced back to his injury.

At the end of the day we can't all be overly disappointed at being put out the Europa League, we far exceeded my European expectations for this season just by getting to the group stage.

Now tho, we need to get Europe out of our system fast and concentrate on getting our heads right for a sustained assault on this league. I'm confident we will add 1 or 2 players in January that will improve our starting 11. As long as we give it a right go untill the end of the season I will be happy.

It was always going to take Gerrard a couple of summer transfer windows to get us to a level that he would be happy with. Now it's just about adding that creative element to the team that we are badly needing. I know he will find us the right players.
Completely agree, we are in a much better place than this time last year. To be disappointed at going out of the group stage shows how far we've come since Luxembourg. SG is the right man but does need another window or two to get the right team.

We didn't lose Europa tonight, we lost it via the Spartak games. 2 games we should have taken more than 1 point from.

The lack of attempts on goal is worrying me more than the overall results tbh.
Spot on.

those were the two games we should have taken at least 4 points from.

I hope Gerrard isn't getting fed up, not like him to just walk up the tunnel.
i slightly worry about this too. The look he had and storming up the tunnel.
I worry about the rumour, just the rumour that certain players must play, and if you believe pub talk that our chairman does not want our ex captain played.

For a lad that loves football, with a ball on the pitch maybe politics are pissing him off..

The downward spiral in this team is what's worrying me. We have players left behind because they are not in the right frame of mind. And most of the ones that do play seem to treat it like a kickabout on a Sunday afternoon. We need to get in players that want to play and want to win. Giving guys like McAuley one last pay day is not the way forward, neither is signing ex players who are well past their best.
I've said that on the Davis threads. People even tonight are saying SG needs more transfer windows...fair enough. So what is the point of stop gaps?

Haha wrong on both counts.

Just a wee dig at the usual knee jerk doom merchants you find on here after a game like this. Apologies the lack of emoji seems to have caused a bit of a stooshy, what did we ever do before emoji eh!

Be assured I am very happy and proud to be a Rangers supporter tonight.
Fair play...we all get a bit tetchy and even suspicious after a poor result!

Its the manner of the performance thats disappointing, powder puff with no fight. The pitch wasnt great but some of our passing was ridiculous at times and we never really looked like threatening them.
Big window coming up for stevie gee.

After Hamilton I think the two Hibs games will be the measure of how we are progressing. If anyone thinks we are a shoe in to get anything from the mhanks game they are deluding themselves.

If things go pear shaped we can always try and entice Steve Clarke or McInnes again which will please some of the so called Rangers support on here.
Yes I wanted Stevie Clarke when I thought that looked like the best we could get at THAT time. However when we got SG I was as happy as a sand boy ps I am a Rangers fan

Lets get a grip. Lost key players, Ejaria chucked his toys out and has possibly disrupted squad harmony, not ideal preparation.

And we are having a hissy fit that we narrowly lost in Europe away from home to just, and i mean just, miss qualifying FROM the group stage.

Hands up who remembers the level we have been playing at since 2011.

Hands up who watched us in the third division on dark December days.

Lets just get a grip, yes this is hard to take, yes we expect better. But it will take more time and more transfer windows.
Can I just add that, even in those halcyon days preceding admin, we managed to get eliminated by Kaunas, Zhivkov, Unirea, Maribor and Malmo amongst others who couldn’t match our spending.
(Not sure of my spelling of these teams!)

I've said that on the Davis threads. People even tonight are saying SG needs more transfer windows...fair enough. So what is the point of stop gaps?

the club had no money to make permanent signings so he's brought in loanees he thought would do him a turn

gerrard's still being dragged down by the awful decisions made around pedro

We lost it in the last 2 home games. Tonight there were 10 heroes, and it was a brilliant performance. When we get someone that can pick defences apart, we will be a proper force. On to 55!

I've no time for negative hysterics but that was nowhere near 'brilliant'.

Maybe I’m the odd man out.
But I’m proud, not angry.
We done so well to get where we are. With a squad assembled over the summer. We’ve played more matches than anyone else we will play this season and I don’t think we have let ourselves down. Yes we came up a bit short but what a fantastic journey since July.
Considering the fact that we have had just the one transfer window,we exceeded all expectations

We lost it in the last 2 home games. Tonight there were 10 heroes, and it was a brilliant performance. When we get someone that can pick defences apart, we will be a proper force. On to 55!
I don’t think we were brilliant but, “ten” heroes?
Who isn’t deserving?

Considering we were knocked out of the 1st qualifier by a pub team from Luxembourg just last season. The answer is yes.

That result last season will never, ever should or can be forgotten. Our most humiliating and embarrassing defeat EVER, or ever should be.

I said at the time the manager and his backroom team should have been sacked on the spot and the three amigos and their thought processes behind employing Caxhina in the first place should have been scrutinised more closely.

However, you can't keep quoting last season.

If we just suffer narrow defeats to the filth this season as opposed to two utter drubbings last season, are you going to consider that progress as well?

I wonder what the season so far 9/10 raters in that post from a few months ago are thinking now. Nah, nix that, I actually don't.

The truth is we are utter garbage domestically, and our now defunct European run, a few quid in the bank apart, was only ever papering over the cracks.

PS, credit where it is due, they've given us some reasons to be cheerful in Europe this season.

Can I just add that, even in those halcyon days preceding admin, we managed to get eliminated by Kaunas, Zhivkov, Unirea, Maribor and Malmo amongst others who couldn’t match our spending.
(Not sure of my spelling of these teams!)
Absolutely, there was some utterly dire performances with millions thrown at players.

How many will be proud of "the journey" if we f*ck it up against the scum?

It's the same problems every game. Nothing's been learned

I think it is more to do with not having enough quality personnel than anything else. I expect us to lose to "Them" because they are better team than us at the moment and have been together for years. I will be gutted if we lose but it will not change my opinion we are heading in the right direction regardless. But the difference is we are a new team that's had one transfer window and we will catch and overtake them with S.G at the helm of that i have no doubt at all. I am proud to be a Ranger. W.A.T.P.

the club had no money to make permanent signings so he's brought in loanees he thought would do him a turn

gerrard's still being dragged down by the awful decisions made around pedro
That's fair enough M8 but it really negates all the talk about needing more transfer windows.

Having to go away in Europe and win is not chucking a game away by anyone's standards really. Maybe Real Madrid or Barcelona but for everyone else in club football, it's usually the hardest games you get.

They were there for the taking

We weren't brave enough.

That was a toss up between McCoist and Warburton in terms of Shiteness.

Yes we are on a journey but please spare me the "loo k back to the last few years pish"

Completely agree, we are in a much better place than this time last year. To be disappointed at going out of the group stage shows how far we've come since Luxembourg. SG is the right man but does need another window or two to get the right team.

His first major job was to sort out our defence as we where absolutely abysmal at the back before he came in. He certainly improved us back there I just wish he would stick to a central pairing.

I think it is more to do with not having enough quality personnel than anything else. I expect us to lose to "Them" because they are better team than us at the moment and have been together for years. I will be gutted if we lose but it will not change my opinion we are heading in the right direction regardless. But the difference is we are a new team that's had one transfer window and we will catch and overtake them with S.G at the helm of that i have no doubt at all. I am proud to be a Ranger. W.A.T.P.
I hope so, but this current squad are struggling to make things happen. There's always going to be the danger he needs to replace several players before he can build his squad. 3 steps forward and 3 steps back

i slightly worry about this too. The look he had and storming up the tunnel.
I worry about the rumour, just the rumour that certain players must play, and if you believe pub talk that our chairman does not want our ex captain played.

For a lad that loves football, with a ball on the pitch maybe politics are pissing him off..

The certain players being the loans?

He signed them, why would he not be aware of this ?

That result last season will never, ever should or can be forgotten. Our most humiliating and embarrassing defeat EVER, or ever should be.

I said at the time the manager and his backroom team should have been sacked on the spot and the three amigos and their thought processes behind employing Caxhina in the first place should have been scrutinised more closely.

However, you can't keep quoting last season.

If we just suffer narrow defeats to the filth this season as opposed to two utter drubbings last season, are you going to consider that progress as well?

I wonder what the season so far 9/10 raters in that post from a few months ago are thinking now. Nah, nix that, I actually don't.

The truth is we are utter garbage domestically, and our now defunct European run, a few quid in the bank apart, was only ever papering over the cracks.

PS, credit where it is due, they've given us some reasons to be cheerful in Europe this season.
Garbage, and yet a lot closer to the top spot than we were last season.
I’ll accept we’ve got a lot of improving to do but we are still, even domestically, in a far better position than we were last season.

We are a work in progress with a guy cutting his teeth in management. There was always going to be inconsistencies.

Proud of this campaign and the team, not many fancied us when the draw was made.

We are progressing.

I’ll accept we’ve got a lot of improving to do but we are still, even domestically, in a far better position than we were last season.

we are one point better off

they are worse

we've all largely been delighted with europe but wee bud's pit boots is right domestically our results are terrible

3 games against aberdeen with no wins? garbage

That's fair enough M8 but it really negates all the talk about needing more transfer windows.
A very salient point. We haven’t spent huge amounts in relation to them. Our accounts aren’t stunning , but I’d expect SG Would want some of the money from Europe. I suspect he will be disappointed. If things don’t pick up in the rest of December it could turn a bit sour. I’m sure we all hope that’s not the case but personally I see a team that us capable of more than last year but just as inconsistent. It doesn’t matter if you win matches 7-1 if you then lose or draw more than a few by tight margins. And now the goals have dried up.

How many will be proud of "the journey" if we f*ck it up against the scum?

It's the same problems every game. Nothing's been learned
Me for one. We fucked it against Luxembourg part-timers last year and various dregs of Scottish football prior. Reality check.

Some amount of roasters on this btw. We were by no means terrible tonight. Lacking a bit more quality to help Alfredo and it could have been a different story. Bad kick off by McGregor has cost us tonight. Still proud of where we are compared to 12 months ago!

That takes us back to the rest of my post. If we only get humped in a hypothetical SC s/f by only three goals is that us closer to them, or only by three the next time we visit the scum hut, by your logic that's us closer.

You might be happy with the garbage being served up. I'm not.

That takes us back to the rest of my post. If we only get humped in a hypothetical SC s/f by only three goals is that us closer to them, or only by three the next time we visit the scum hut, by your logic that's us closer.

When would you say was the last time you were 'happy' with what you were being served up?

we are one point better off

they are worse

we've all largely been delighted with europe but wee bud's pit boots is right domestically our results are terrible

3 games against aberdeen with no wins? garbage
What septic do is not our fault.
If we win the league, will we knock it back because the scum are worse than they were?
Would you rather we had three wins against the sheep, as we had last season, but fighting for third?

There's 2 ways of looking at it. Getting this far in Europe was a fantastic achievement but qualification was there for the taking and we made a complete arse of it unfortunately.

What septic do is not our fault.
If we win the league, will we knock it back because the scum are worse than they were?
Would you rather we had three wins against the sheep, as we had last season, but fighting for third?

I want to see us destroying the spl outside the filth

toiling to put a shot on target against the likes of dundee is horrendous

My logic is simpler than that.
This year, we have a chance, last year we didn’t.
This year we lasted fourteen games in Europe, last year it was two.

Back