Match Thread Rapid Wien v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

An important few weeks coming up now for Stevie G and Rangers.

We HAVE to get something out of the forthcoming Tim’s game, another defeat - pray god not another heavy one! would set us back big time.

I’d even be happy with a draw, just to stop the rot with the Paedo’s recent results at Ibrox.

The European adventure HAS been a great one. I’d love to know if any other team playing a 1st Roumd qualifier -has ever taken it to a 14th tie before being knocked out?

RTID

We are all feeling a bit down just now with the result but before a ball was kicked in the 1st Qualifying Round if anyone had said we will still be in with a shout in the last game in the Group matches we would have bitten their hand off. It was a steep learning curve for SG and the backroom team but we will be better next season.

Onwards and upwards to 55 hopefully this season..

I think he was rotating unnecessarily because he was worried about running them into the ground. He does have to pick his strongest pair and stick with it

Maybe it was the amount if games mate you could be right. Hopefully now it's one game a week we can start to see a consistency in team selection as far as the defence is concerned.

I want to see us destroying the spl outside the filth

toiling to put a shot on target against the likes of dundee is horrendous
I’d like this as well.
Only, I’d include the filth.
However, I’m happy with the crawl, walk, run ideal and think we’re still crawling but getting there.
I mentioned in reply to another poster, not everything in the garden was rosy every game under Souness, Smith, McLeish or Advocaat.

Last edited:
Can't help but be disappointed by tonight's result, there's a revelation, but more so in our utter failure to have a go from the off. We need the REAL Gerrard Revolution to take off now. As always, we keep the faith!

We tried our best tonight, but were just not good enough. We need a forceful midfielder to drive us forward, and we have to learn to shoot from outside the box.

Improvement from previous few seasons without a doubt, but we still have some way to go.

We carry very little luck and get no dubious decisions in our favour. We are not very good enough but with the luck that the scum have we would have qualified.

I agree with you!
I just find the negativity hard to take, especially when, underneath it all, there is so much to be positive about.
We’re light years ahead of last season, for example.
So much so that even Gordon Strachan said we were still two years behind the scum.
Which is a lot closer than the decades and the light years we read about not too long ago.
In the cold light of day what you say is true but emotions run high but at the end of the day we are still Rangers and we are all rangers fans and we are in this together!

Luck can have a lot to do with results. I reckon if the header that hit the bar had gone in we would have been OK.
However we should have gone there with a view to attack and that needed two up front. Too slow on bringing on the subs.
Happy though with what we have done in Europe but we must win our next two league games to gives us confidence against the timmy sides.
Forget Ejeria and Coullibally and play our signed players plus Kent as this is our future.

We've had a good run in Europe, better than anyone could ever have imagined at the start of the season.

I never expected a win tonight, now we are out it's time to concentrate on domestic football, it's just wrong to start blaming individual players tonight, upwards and onwords.

An important few weeks coming up now for Stevie G and Rangers.

We HAVE to get something out of the forthcoming Tim’s game, another defeat - pray god not another heavy one! would set us back big time.

I’d even be happy with a draw, just to stop the rot with the Paedo’s recent results at Ibrox.

The European adventure HAS been a great one. I’d love to know if any other team playing a 1st Roumd qualifier -has ever taken it to a 14th tie before being knocked out?

RTID
I’ve said it for weeks - Gerrard can’t afford to lose that game. A thumping would be, well let’s not think about it

Luck can have a lot to do with results. I reckon if the header that hit the bar had gone in we would have been OK.
However we should have gone there with a view to attack and that needed two up front. Too slow on bringing on the subs.
Happy though with what we have done in Europe but we must win our next two league games to gives us confidence against the timmy sides.
Forget Ejeria and Coullibally and play our signed players plus Kent as this is our future.
Ejaria and Coulibaly are garbage. They’d have done a turn with Zelalem in the 1st division but no good now

I think we’ve done well. If you said last year we’d be one game away to qualifying out of the group stages of the EL I’d have took that all day long. But tonight shows that the quality is still not at a great standard. Rapid we’re there for the taking but we just couldn’t create good chances. Gerrard is a born winner and will know this. As long as the board keep investing Gerrard can take us to the next level. WATP.

Proud as fuk me.
Our team did us proud.
3 players from Santa and were even better, don't be downbeat that was last year when beat by postmen.
We're trueley back on all fronts.
Did U see Stevies face going up the tunnel?? Changes are a foot!!

Playmaker and number 10 needed.

Watched in a pub in Germany that kept changing between games. From the bits I did get to see I thought Morelos had to drop deep or go wide looking for the ball a bit too often and that it left nobody up front.

Creativity and attacking support for the centre forward are major issues.

While I am disappointed by the result, I am a lot more annoyed by the manner that we went out. We had a real chance to qualify from the group and we simply don't have enough of an attacking edge.

We are losing games we could win and dropping points in the league too. Our midfield and striking options need overhauled/kicked up the arse.

We need to get out attacking and midfield act together for the rest of this month and I await the Jan transfer window with hope the manager already has plans to sort this.

I always avoid posting immediately after a defeat as it is just too emotional and raw, so now having calmed down a bit - I thought we were decent and the teams were evenly matched. We lack guile and the cutting edge to open up teams, so Gerrard was keeping it tight and hoping for that magic moment to occur, which unfortunately for us never materialised.

For what its worth, here is my thoughts on the players;
McGregor - Sad that the goal came from his poor clearance, but he has been our best player in the Europa cup and we would not have got anywhere close to this stage without his incredible saves in previous matches.
Tav - Felt that it was almost the opposite of his normal performances where he defended well (for the most part) but was less effective going forward. Although the majority of his dead ball deliveries were poor, he did put in the free kick for Goldson's header. (Would still take him off the set pieces though).
McAuley - Did what was expected of him defensively. Booking was a joke.
Goldson - One of his better matches in the last wee while. Hopefully getting back to that dominant form that he displayed earlier in the season.
Barisic - Brilliant to have him back. He looked a touch off the pace early on and his passing was ordinary, but got better as the game went on. Put in some dangerous crosses without seeing anyone breaking their neck to get into the danger area. He brings the balance to the team down the left and prevents us from being so predictable i.e. everything getting played via Tav and (usually) Candeais down the right. Hope he stays fit and we get to see the player that he was at Osijek.
McCrorie - Seems strange that he has had virtually no game time to date, so to be thrown into such a vital match would seem to be down to the circumstances of Ejaria's absence. Overall, he can be pleased with his performance and hopefully pushes for a more regular role.
Arfield - Trying to have him play the Candeias role really negated his goal scoring threat from the centre. Scotty put in a good shift, but it was probably the poorest match that he has had for us.
Coulibaly - Carries the ball forward well, but is unable to play even a simple pass. It can't all be down to his injury, he seems to be seriously lacking in technique.
Jack - Our best player by a country mile. Always composed on the ball, and makes himself available to receive it, even when under pressure. Didn't deserve to be on the losing team tonight. Another joke of a booking. Thought that he was pulled off to prevent him getting a red card.
Middleton - Has some great touches and for a young guy is able to spin his defender very competently. Did a lot of good things only to let himself down with his final touch or pass.
Morelos - Did his normal shift for the team without ever receiving the necessary support to break down the Vienna defence.

Grezda - Felt that he should have come on at half time for Coulibaly. Another player who will get better playing more football and getting some match time into his legs.
Lafferty - Huffed and puffed, but never looked like he was close enough to the goals to bring any threat.

It has been a great run and although I will now have to cancel my trip to Baku, I've enjoyed our run. Now we need to focus on the league and keep the pressure on.

WATP, RTID

Gerrard will now know which players he is keeping and which ones don’t cut it at our club. He does need another 2 transfer windows to start pushing us on to where we and him want us to be.

We must be patient bears

For the squad of players we have a reckon it a was decent acehvment in Europe this year to take it to the last game and have a chance is a massive improvement. Bitterly disappointed tho but massive learning curve for these players. Hamilton Sunday get Ibrox packed and get the 3 points now!

Absolutely nobody who is a Rangers fan should be judging us a failure in Europe this season.

I'm not judging us a failure but the point you quoted was right. We always fail in the middle two games and don't do enough home matches. It's been that way with Walter. Advocaat and McLeish (apart from 2005)

There's no real rhyme or reason for with some many managers and different squads but it just seems a Rangers thing.

I'm pretty much delighted at our Euro efforts this year

We lost it in the last 2 home games. Tonight there were 10 heroes, and it was a brilliant performance. When we get someone that can pick defences apart, we will be a proper force. On to 55!
Thats what was missing last night. On a number of occasions,l the through ball was on but we ignored it, turned back or went sideways. Just no guile in there to create

Stayed away from here last night as I'd have probably got banned.
Vienna were there for the taking and we failed to rise to the occasion. Some of that lies with the manager though-his reluctance to make the changes earlier is baffling. Middleton should have been taken off at 1/2 time for example.
But this may be a blessing in disguise as it's one less competition to worry about whilst the poet filth are still in it-but will probably be out next round.
A sore one though!!!

Typical Rangers in Europe.

Rapid are no better than us we just lack a certain something.

We hardly ever get lucky in Europe and as the game progressed I could tell the game was no exception.

Back