Re-visiting our 10 IAR season

The story goes that he was getting ready to retire in 97 and got an offer to go to us on a free and earning 30 grand a week persuaded him to delay the retirement party.

His pass to Albertz at the piggery to set up Ally for the diving header was a thing of beauty

His knees were done. Barely in the door and he was out for two months with a knee injury by the end of August.

Lasted a game and a half the following season and that was him. £4m ? That'll do nicely thank you very much.

Naturally an extremely disappointing season however after how they have went about trying to win their 10 (9.75 in reality of course) I can't help but look back a feel a tiny bit better about season 97/98. Just feel our downfall was we let too many players grow old together. Even with this had Amo and Negri not got injured then I think we would have had a enough to do it. But at least we took it down to the wire and gave it everything until the end.
I feel the same. The pain of losing the league that season has dulled significantly for me. Being on the wrong end of such a run has opened my eyes to what it would’ve been like.

If I could change history, would I have us win it? Of course I would. I’d rather take my chances with us being successful than not. But I don’t think it would’ve been as monumental as we all thought it would be.

That thread from earlier that showed Tom Boyds manky t-shirt, there was a time when seeing that would’ve been like a punch in the gut. You know what my reaction was this time? I laughed out loud.

It’s weird looking back.

NIAR seemed a mythical type achievement that the Tims would always have above us.

As the years past and 8 then 9 came along the realisation that we might equal it brought massive pressure.

The win at Dundee United when we finally did, after messing up v Motherwell at home, is still my favourite and most emotional game.

Being honest after getting NIAR we weren’t nearly as focused on doing 10 as a support they were in stopping us. The intensity was lost.

A good point. I don't recall us obsessing about " the Ten " all that season as the Peasants have. In fact, when we didn't win it we didn't riot either.

I can remember coming out of the piggery after the lady's front bottom Stubbs score a late equalise and saying to the old man, that could come back and bite us,
It did.
They were on their knees at the time of that game.

Last edited:
We ran out of steam and were unlucky with injuries & issues outwith our control - Gazza's personal issues & Laudrup's head messed up with the Chelsea contract he signed then tried to get out of almost immediately.

But we were never embarrassing, we were never a laughing stock.
Did Laudrup try and get out of the move to Chelsea?

OK here goes.

Tims actually lost their first 2 league games IIRC.

Then Larsson arrived for 600k (!) and their system just clicked into play so they got a run together. Stubbs Burley, Lambert all good players in the league too, and Gould was a steady keeper for them.

Negri first 4/5 months different level, never looked happy when scoring though, looked like he just didn't want to be there. Some strange injury for second half of season to do with either Porrini (squash) or Amo (ruckus) but story has never come out properly. No one has ever said this is actually what happened.

In the same way I think Advocaat got it wrong with too many Dutch signings, I think Smith just bought too many players all at once. That continual mix can go wrong in dressing rooms - maybe it was a season a Ferguson and one of two others could have come through and fed off the experienced players.

Laudrup played like he didn't want to get injured. Pains me to say to it as he was absolute hero of mine but that season he was a shadow of himself.

Did Laudrup try and get out of the move to Chelsea?

Yes. But not to stay at Ibrox.

It all began in Gianluca Vialli’s flat in Kensington in February 1998. Chelsea had overcome fierce competition from Ajax and the ambitious FC Copenhagen to sign Laudrup, who would be free from his contract with Rangers after that summer’s World Cup. Laudrup had discussed a move on the phone with Chelsea’s then manager Ruud Gullit. But at that February meeting, at which Chelsea’s managing director Colin Hutchinson was also present, he was informed that Vialli was about to become the new Chelsea boss.

The three also discussed Gullit’s heavily criticised squad rotation system. Laudrup was an avid opponent of the system and so, he was told, was Vialli, who had been one of its chief victims under Gullit. Laudrup signed for Chelsea, but subsequently came to suspect that the club’s management had used his transfer as a diversionary tactic while they prepared to fire Gullit.

Laudrup signed up with Chelsea while he still had several months left on his deal with Rangers, primarily because he didn’t want to wait until the summer holidays to sort out his children’s schooling and the family’s housing situation. But he was in some turmoil about his future and very quickly came to regret the decision. A few days before the Danish national team went off to the World Cup training camp in France, Laudrup contacted Hutchinson and asked to be released from his contract.

Hutchinson responded by saying that Chelsea would not hesitate to go to court or involve FIFA and UEFA if the contract wasn’t honoured. Laudrup got the message and, in truth, recognised that Hutchinson didn’t have much option unless he was prepared to risk seeing Laudrup move to another club without a fee. So, on July 1, 1998, after a successful World Cup, he joined Chelsea’s multinational squad.

Mentally, however, he would never be a Chelsea player. The Laudrup family never managed to settle properly in London, while there was unrest among Vialli’s squad, unhappy that he had, after all, persisted with the rotation system.

It all began in Gianluca Vialli’s flat in Kensington in February 1998. Chelsea had overcome fierce competition from Ajax and the ambitious FC Copenhagen to sign Laudrup, who would be free from his contract with Rangers after that summer’s World Cup. Laudrup had discussed a move on the phone with Chelsea’s then manager Ruud Gullit. But at that February meeting, at which Chelsea’s managing director Colin Hutchinson was also present, he was informed that Vialli was about to become the new Chelsea boss.

The three also discussed Gullit’s heavily criticised squad rotation system. Laudrup was an avid opponent of the system and so, he was told, was Vialli, who had been one of its chief victims under Gullit. Laudrup signed for Chelsea, but subsequently came to suspect that the club’s management had used his transfer as a diversionary tactic while they prepared to fire Gullit.

Laudrup signed up with Chelsea while he still had several months left on his deal with Rangers, primarily because he didn’t want to wait until the summer holidays to sort out his children’s schooling and the family’s housing situation. But he was in some turmoil about his future and very quickly came to regret the decision. A few days before the Danish national team went off to the World Cup training camp in France, Laudrup contacted Hutchinson and asked to be released from his contract.

Hutchinson responded by saying that Chelsea would not hesitate to go to court or involve FIFA and UEFA if the contract wasn’t honoured. Laudrup got the message and, in truth, recognised that Hutchinson didn’t have much option unless he was prepared to risk seeing Laudrup move to another club without a fee. So, on July 1, 1998, after a successful World Cup, he joined Chelsea’s multinational squad.

Mentally, however, he would never be a Chelsea player. The Laudrup family never managed to settle properly in London, while there was unrest among Vialli’s squad, unhappy that he had, after all, persisted with the rotation system.

Thanks mate

Thanks mate

OK here goes.

Then Larsson arrived for 600k (!) and their system just clicked into play so they got a run together. Stubbs Burley, Lambert all good players in the league too, and Gould was a steady keeper for them.

Negri first 4/5 months different level, never looked happy when scoring though, looked like he just didn't want to be there. Some strange injury for second half of season to do with either Porrini (squash) or Amo (ruckus) but story has never come out properly. No one has ever said this is actually what happened.

In the same way I think Advocaat got it wrong with too many Dutch signings, I think Smith just bought too many players all at once. That continual mix can go wrong in dressing rooms - maybe it was a season a Ferguson and one of two others could have come through and fed off the experienced players.

Laudrup played like he didn't want to get injured. Pains me to say to it as he was absolute hero of mine but that season he was a shadow of himself.

Celtic virtually replaced their first XI from the previous season with new signings

Gould, Rieper, Mahe, Lambert, Burley, Blinker. Larsson, Jackson and Brattbakk.

We threw the 10 away

Ibrox 2-0 up against sheepie finishes 2-2

Dunfermline at Ibrox concede a last min equaliser

Lose 1-0 to Kilmarnock

Stubbs injury time equaliser at the sty - rowbottom getting even on gazza for not sending him off earlier against Aberdeen , e should still have won that night even with 10 men

A good point. I don't recall us obsessing about " the Ten " all that season as the Peasants have. In fact, when we didn't win it we didn't riot either.
There was a sadness when we didn’t win it, but it was much more an emotional end-of-an-era type feeling at the time.

Our NIAR was done under the largely the same management team, with several players staying for the full or most of the duration.

They became literally club legends.

The Tims 1960s NIAR was a great achievement - no point in denying it, but the current one simply doesn’t compare to that or ours. I think that’s why 10IAR has become so much of an obsession to them. To try and give this era a meaning in history.

Now it’ll just be a footnote of not a “real” NIAR due to us being absent for much of it and 2019-20 being incomplete.

A glorious result.

The story goes that he was getting ready to retire in 97 and got an offer to go to us on a free and earning 30 grand a week persuaded him to delay the retirement party.

His pass to Albertz at the piggery to set up Ally for the diving header was a thing of beauty
First I've heard of this, very interesting. I remember him scoring a late equaliser at Rugby Park which was a cracker too. Shame he was on the way down

There was a sadness when we didn’t win it, but it was much more an emotional end-of-an-era type feeling at the time.

Our NIAR was done under the largely thr same management team, with several players staying for the full or most of the duration.

The Tims 1960s NIAR was a great achievement - no point in denying it, but the current one simply doesn’t compare to that or ours. I think that’s why 10IAR has become so much of an obsession to them. To try and give this era a meaning in history.

Now it’ll just be a footnote of not a “real” NIAR due to us being absent for much of it and 2019-20 being incomplete.

A glorious result.
Spot on.

An aging side that was pushed to it’s limits still managed to take it to the last day of the season but even with being unlucky with injuries we really sabotaged the TEN ourselves and it began with Walter announcing he was going to be leaving at the end of that season, that was a mistake. The 4 derbies that season was won 2, drew 1 and lost 1 plus we done them in the Scottish cup too in their own midden. You really have to question the wisdom of letting Gazza go even with his problems and though Laudrup’s head was all over the place I think the Gaffers end of season departure took away a lot of our focus and created a sad vibe around the place and silly points were dropped here and there against other teams despite bossing the filth on the park and in their heads. Criminal we handed them that title of all title’s through our own stupidness but hindsight is a great thing.

The game that really killed me was the 1-0 home loss to Kilmarnock. That’s when I knew it was done.
Over from Canada and took my son to this game! Could not have chosen a worse game but he was still blown away with the atmosphere!

I still maintain we blew it by letting Stubbs score the equalizer from a corner in injury time at Sharkheid!
A net points loss of 3 which would have made a difference!

We blew it big style that year - after knocking them out SF at Sharkheid we should have beat them about 5-0 at Ibrox the next week with brilliant Jonas Thern 25 yarder, we went level on points but that would have made massive difference to goal difference. Septic then won 2 and drew 2 but after we had gone unbeaten all season at home we lost to Kilmarnock, worst feeling ever at Ibrox. We had enough chances but couldn't get ball past Marshall who was then accused of trying too hard by Mutton 5 years later!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4CC27F745270F1640E724CC27F745270&&FORM=VRDGAR

Sun 5th Apr 1998Scot CupCeltic1-2Rangers
Sun 12th AprLeagueRangers2-0Celtic
Sun 19th AprLeagueAberdeen1-0Rangers
Sat 25th AprLeagueHeart of Midlothian0-3Rangers
Sat 2nd MayLeagueRangers0-1Kilmarnock
Sat 9th MayLeagueDundee United1-2Rangers

Our NIAR was done under the largely the same management team, with several players staying for the full or most of the duration.

A glorious result.

Some great points in there. Naturally, if we'd won that 10th title we would have celebrated like mad, just like the other 9 before. Personally, I believe that a combination of factors, Walter saying that he was leaving especially, had an end of era aura surrounding that entire League competition, which ended in a whimper. However, the frenzy and craziness which has engulfed that mob this season concerning 10 in a row has been both bizarre and hilarious to witness.

Reading through the thread I still don't understand why 10 seemed less important than 9. Surely the ultimate goal should've been to surpass what they did.

considering we won feck all, I do look back on that season fondly. First season going to away games regularly and of course there was the semi final.
Me too was my first season ever of going to games and feel glad I got to see most of our 9 in a row team play in real life even though as you say we won nothing

My clearest memory of that season was that both teams limped over the line.

It had gone back and forth all season with both teams dropping points left right and centre: we dropped points in SEVEN of our last 14 games.

No one had heard of Wim Jansen and they lost their first two games and everyone thought we were going to stroll to the title as usual. By the start of November they'd had a run of wins and we were a point or two behind.

In November we beat them at Ibrox, then they lost at Motherwell and they were seconds away from losing a third in a row when Stubbs equalised in the dying seconds against us at Parkhead (as mentioned above). I agree with the other posters that we would have probably gone on and won it if we hadn't conceded that goal.

After that both team's consistency was SHOCKING - we only won more than two games in a row once for the remainder of the season (4 in a row) and they only did it twice (3 in a row twice).

For some reason, it was listening to us losing away at Motherwell on the radio that sticks out as the point when I thought we had blown it, and I was resigned to the fact that we were actually going to lose TIAR.

. . . but they dropped points the next day, did it again a couple of weeks later and we won 4 league games on the bounce including the last Old Firm game of the season (and knocked them out the Cup at Parkhead) to go level on points with 4 games to go.

I've always thought that if we had ANY Game other than a trip to Pittodrie following the Old Firm game, we would have gone on to win it at that point. As usual, an Aberdeen team in 6th place with nothing to play for played it like a cup final and we lost 1-0. Aberdeen took 7 points off us that season and 0 off Celtic.

Even then they only won 2 of their last 4 games, but we inexplicably lost to Killie at Ibrox in our last home game, and I've never felt so stunned, trudging home along PRW after that loss.

Both teams were REALLY inconsistent and Negri's injury (and whatever the story behind it was) would be the biggest factor that lost 10-in-row. IMO.

We were going to have 3 teams.
1 For Europe, 1 for League, I for Cups.
Took it to the last day at Tannadice, and not one of us left the park for an hour after the final whistle.
It actually didn't feel so bad having that great sing song after the game. Constant tannoy messages to say Rangers would not be coming back out.
Then I got pished that night. Got pished the following week too, found that a harder defeat to be honest.

Reading through the thread I still don't understand why 10 seemed less important than 9. Surely the ultimate goal should've been to surpass what they did.

It is indeed strange looking back.

I‘m not sure why it was the case. My own recollection is completing NIAR got a massive monkey off our back, one that for years no one on either side had felt there was any chance of happening.

The 10IAR season initially felt fresh - Super replaced by Negri for example. But slowly as the year wore on, with Gough’s return and Negri’s injury etc., it seemed very much like a last campaign for the old-stagers.

That became the focus. Yes, we wanted to win it but there was a tide of sentiment for a period many of us thought we’d never see and a gratitude to the players who’d delivered it. This outweighed criticism of their failure in the final season.

Also worth noting that for a chunk of NIAR Celtic weren’t our main challengers. It was also pre O’Neil and Lennon and as a result the rivalry was perhaps just notch down from how it has been in later years.

But as you say looking back it is strange that for many 10IAR wasn’t the summit, but it is an inescapable truth that was felt as already been reached with NIAR.

What is the saying? “The past is a different country”.

Last edited:
We had an injured Laudrup mostly. We got too old. Gazza wasn't right.

I still believe the minimal points we needed we'd have got even with as previously described a "fat unfit mess" in Gazza. We needed that spark in a few draws and late season defeats. The spark got sold.
The annoying thing is despite all that we still had it in our own hands until almost the end.

OK here goes.

Then Larsson arrived for 600k (!)
Not quite accurate, he played in the first game , he gave the ball away straight to charnley who rattled ball in from 25yards on his debut n I thought to myself “ha ha they have signed an absolute clown with bad hair” ..... oh that thought came back to haunt me

What was it, we were top of the league with three games left?

Then there are moon howlers saying Celtic threw it away this year?

Not even in the same ballpark.

No. It was pretty close they we had a New Year slump. We dropped 21 points from New Year they only dropped 15.

We ended up playing catch up, we beat Celtic at home to go level with them on points, with only four games to go,

we then lost the following week to Aberdeen, beat Hearts away, lost to Kilmarnock at home, and won away to Dundee Utd

They beat Motherwell drew with Hibs then Dunfermline before beating St Johnstone.

The turning point in the league as pointed out was Rowbottom’s performance at the piggery in November. Not only was Gazza’s Sending off ridiculous it resulted in a 5 game ban. He was the Morelos of that season being targeted by referees. Playing football was the only thing that was keeping him on the straight and narrow, he completely lost interest, and was getting involved in stuff he shouldn’t have.

If I remember correctly he also received a death threat from the IRA.

By then it was too late to replace someone as important to the team and that was it.

Not quite accurate, he played in the first game , he gave the ball away straight to charnley who rattled ball in from 25yards on his debut n I thought to myself “ha ha they have signed an absolute clown with bad hair” ..... oh that thought came back to haunt me
Your memory better than mine! Reading your report came flooding back to me.

Our (genuine) nine was the first in the premier division era. The poet one was an old hat div 1 outdated achievement. I remember at the time (97) hearing one of the toilet seat lickers on the radio greetin as we had “taken away their history” with that 9, i.e superseded their 9. Great memories.

...and as anyone with a double digit IQ will agree: 9>8.75

Not finding a suitable replacement for Gough, Negri's psychological problems and the team just getting a bit over the hill were contributory factors. Even so, if we had beaten Killie we may have done it, couldn't rise to the occasion on that day.

We were fortunate they were as woeful as us that season. The failure to be able to string more than two league wins in a row for the first three quarters of the season yet still to have an outside chance of clinching the big 10 on the last day of the season was quite extraordinary. A half decent Sellik side would have won that league by 10 - 15 points.

In '92 we had to play 44 league games not to mention all the cup games and the CL campaign.
What a team we had that season.

9 in a row was always the target from about 94 on. 10 in a row was seen as a nice bonus but nowhere near as important as doing 9. That's how I remember it anyway. That day at Ibrox when we lost to Killie was still a gut punch though.

I

Yeah we were shocking in europe that season if memory serves. Think we were knocked out champions league by some swedish team? Ridiculous considering the players we had
We were out of the champions league after the first leg which we lost 3-0 away to Gothenburg. I was livid as the home leg tickets went on sale (naturally) before the first leg was played. £27 was a fortune and we’d basically nothing to play for. We drew 1-1.
Then followed Strasbourg in the uefa cup and we lost both legs 2-1. An away goal in the first leg gave us a little hope. Home leg was a disaster.
I remember being at Parkhead for the sco cup final and thousands staying to applaud the hearts team. Like everyone else I felt nothing but pride even though we’d fallen short.
I agree with previous posts, Gazza was like playing with a man down. Yet we still could have won the league had we not lost to Killie on the second last day at home.

Highlight of the season was beating the tims twice in a week in April 98. There was a 50/50 split of fans at Parkhead for the cup semi as Hampden was being refurbished. Amo’s debut. Great day out.

We didn’t obsess. 9 was what mattered but remember “swing low sweet chariot - gazzas here for ten in a row”
We wanted it.

Last edited:
OK here goes.

We were out of the champions league after the first leg which we lost 3-0 away to Gothenburg. I was livid as the home leg tickets went on sale (naturally) before the first leg was played. £27 was a fortune and we’d basically nothing to play for. We drew 1-1.
Then followed Strasbourg in the uefa cup and we lost both legs 2-1. An away goal in the first leg gave us a little hope. Home leg was a disaster.
I remember being at Parkhead for the sco cup final and thousands staying to applaud the hearts team. Like everyone else I felt nothing but pride even though we’d fallen short.
I agree with previous posts, Gazza was like playing with a man down. Yet we still could have won the league had we not lost to Killie on the second last day at home.

Highlight of the season was beating the tims twice in a week in April 98. There was a 50/50 split of fans at Parkhead for the cup semi as Hampden was being refurbished. Amo’s debut. Great day out.
To think we had the likes of Gazza, Albertz, Gattuso, Barry Ferguson (who would be running our midfield the very next season), Laudrup in that squad it is difficult to swallow not winning that league. You can accept that Goram, Gough, McCall, I Ferguson, McCoist etc were all getting on but the likes of Gazza and Laudrup should of has plenty left to offer. I also remember Laudrup being tremendous in the World Cup that summer in France.

We didn’t obsess. 9 was what mattered but remember “gazzas here for ten in a row”
We wanted it.

True. I remember the Gazza chant. However, there wasn't the relentless and obsessed paranoid craziness which has infested the Piggery hordes this season. If anything, I recall hearing on Radio Clyde and BBC Radio Scotland of the potential for civil disorder in Glasgow and Lanarkshire if we did win 10 back then.

True. I remember the Gazza chant. However, there wasn't the relentless and obsessed paranoid craziness which has infested the Piggery hordes this season. If anything, I recall hearing on Radio Clyde and BBC Radio Scotland of the potential for civil disorder in Glasgow and Lanarkshire if we did win 10 back then.

As I posted earlier in the thread the Tims 1960s NIAR was a great achievement - but the current one simply doesn’t compare to that or ours.

I think that’s why 10IAR has become so much of an obsession to them. To try and give this era a meaning in their history.

As I posted earlier in the thread the Tims 1960s NIAR was a great achievement - but the current one simply doesn’t compare to that or ours.

I think that’s why 10IAR has become so much of an obsession to them. To try and give this era a meaning in their history.

I was a kid when we ended their 9 run when we won the title at Easter Road. That we would do our second 9, if you include the first during the war years, was a pipe dream, but we did it.

Back