Reaction to criticism of the board

Craigy72

The weekend obviously resulted in more pressure on the club and the board, but I still can't help but notice a bad reaction by many of us to criticism of the board, particularly when people ask questions about them finding someone else with more financial muscle to take over.

A few things to note:

- the board should be commended for what they've done for rangers, rescuing the club from the spivs

- the above does not make them immune to criticism, and certainly doesn't earn them a lifelong get out of jail card

My view is that they've done a stellar job of stabilising the club, but football-wise they are out of their depth.

Changing the manager is simply papering over a huge crack. Without wholesale change in the club, we can't expect big things from solely a new manager.

And before someone pipes in with "who's waiting to take over from the board" - there are ways to entice individuals to make an offer and take over from the current board. Just because you can't think of someone capable right now, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there capable of taking rangers back to the top who just doesn't know of the opportunity to come in yet.

Are Robertson & King personal friends, because the way it looks to me King has appointed him based upon a friendship and not his supposed merits as a Managing Director.

So who's waiting to take over from the board ?

A lot of the time potential owners of clubs don't emerge until the club is formally put up for sale. If that were to happen, I have no doubt people would at least be interested in looking at buying shares.

Even before the spivs, we had American and Malaysian investors who showed interest in buying the club. The average punter (me included) have no idea who would show interest and who may already have some interest behind the scenes.

They are not exempt from criticism, although quite a few on here obviously feel that, they can only coast along for so long on what they have done for the club.

If they continue to make disastrous appointment after disastrous appointment on the managerial front, then there will be no hiding place for them, and quite frankly they are fast approaching that scenario.

A lot of the time potential owners of clubs don't emerge until the club is formally put up for sale. If that were to happen, I have no doubt people would at least be interested in looking at buying shares.

Even before the spivs, we had American and Malaysian investors who showed interest in buying the club. The average punter (me included) have no idea who would show interest and who may already have some interest behind the scenes.
Were they really interested or were they after a fast buck? I’m at a loss to understand how anyone’s going to make money from Rangers. The board are supporters who recognise the cash they put in will stay there.

Were they really interested or were they after a fast buck? I’m at a loss to understand how anyone’s going to make money from Rangers. The board are supporters who recognise the cash they put in will stay there.

If the board were supporters, that would be apparent through the management of the club. Behaviour such as going into hiding after the weekend, refusing to allow a post game conference, etc isn't the behavior of a board of supporters. Where's the passion from the board to take rangers back to our place at the top? Why do they show so little fight when we're getting attacked from all corners?

They get a free pass for some because their supposedly Rangers men.

Its pathetic. Our club has shown no sign of progress in years whilst the mentally challengeds control everything.

I’ve gave up pretending this board are going to magically turn it all around. Fucked if I know the state we’ll be in 5 years time.

The Board is not fit for purpose, that is abundantly clear.

From the botched Warburton removal, to the appointment of Caixinha, to the flawed chase for a 9IAR legend and dyed in the wool Bear, McInnes to the Murty appointment, it's been a series of shambolic situations that has left us a laughing stock.

Until yesterday there were a lot of threads being deleted with criticism of the board, including some of my own.

Yesterday is the first time I've seen certain high profile posters on here turn on the board, there will be those who still support the board of that there's no doubt and there will also be some who are clearly working an agenda.

Yesterday was the final straw for the board in the eyes of many, their next decision (Rangers manager) could be their last before it kicks off big time.

If Gerrard rejects us now we look like idiots and people will want the board out.

If they get Gerrard and he's a flop the same applies.

They really are in a tricky place, I really hope they get their man and he is a roaring success but this board have been very poor on the football administration side of things so I won't be holding my breath.

We need an Amanda Staveley-type figure to bring investors to the table yet also raise support from bluenose directors who can share in the investment and act as custodians of the values and traditions of the club. In this scenario, the club gains the investment it needs and over time re-establishes itself as a top European side, offering a good return (financially) to the neutral investors.

Nonsense , nobody has stuck their head out or put money into the club other than the board.
The financial side of the club was in dire straits due to the previous scummy bastards.
How many times have the current board added money to keep us going without asking for anything back in return.
I would agree that the choosing of managers has been very very poor.
After instilling a director of football the board should have stepped back and left the decisions to him.

They are novices at running a football club and we are going to have to be patient and wait until the get it right.

It will take time and it's highly unlikely it will come in time to derail them from getting 10iar but it will click eventually, surely?

Their sole purpose is to get the club back to being champions of Scotland, they are no where near delivering on that and don’t look like ever achieving it with the current business plan.

We have to ask what would happen in any other business if this was the case.

We need an Amanda Staveley-type figure to bring investors to the table yet also raise support from bluenose directors who can share in the investment and act as custodians of the values and traditions of the club. In this scenario, the club gains the investment it needs and over time re-establishes itself as a top European side, offering a good return (financially) to the neutral investors.

At least she's worth a fućk.

Quite simply, the way in which we have a diluted ownership model (great to avoid a Murray, but shit to rebuild the club) means that any serious investor (and I’m not suggesting there is anyone) would be asked to pay over the odds to gain control. No one will be prepared to overpay in order to then have to heavily invest, the current board will not lose their blazers as they feel they have earned them therefore the struggle will continue.

I have no idea. A lot of EPL (and other rich club) owners who splash money only do it as a hobby - they're not particularly interested in making a personal profit. They just have billions sat there, so they use it as a play toy if anything.

If I was given the option between supposed 'rangers men' (again questionable given how every single footballing decision they have taken has been wrong, and this current level of performance is 'ahead of the curve' according to them) or between someone minted coming in and chucking millions at it because they want a team playing in the CL as a hobby, I know which one I'd take.

Would the same question have been asked to anyone calling for Murty to go a few months ago? Because at that point I don't recall anyone waiting to take over from murty...
Where I live (the real world) it's infinitely easier to find someone to take 20k a week off you than it is to find someone to give you 100,000 - 200,000 a week....

They get a free pass for some because their supposedly Rangers men.

Its pathetic. Our club has shown no sign of progress in years whilst the mentally challengeds control everything.

I’ve gave up pretending this board are going to magically turn it all around. Fucked if I know the state we’ll be in 5 years time.
They are Rangers men and have put millions in to save us. We are where we are but to question if they are Rangers men is pathetic.

I have no idea. A lot of EPL (and other rich club) owners who splash money only do it as a hobby - they're not particularly interested in making a personal profit. They just have billions sat there, so they use it as a play toy if anything.

If I was given the option between supposed 'rangers men' (again questionable given how every single footballing decision they have taken has been wrong, and this current level of performance is 'ahead of the curve' according to them) or between someone minted coming in and chucking millions at it because they want a team playing in the CL as a hobby, I know which one I'd take.
Someone chucking millions at us? Mr Moonbeams anyone? Short memories some have.

No matter how you dress it up it's the benchmark.

Until we can find someone who will cover the money needed AND can do a better job, it's the reality of the situation.

Nobody's disputing that, but it's a stark message for just how much we're in the shit when not only is our board's only defence the fact that they're putting money in, it's that there's no alternative option.

There's no dressing up required. We're in a fucking dreadful situation.

Someone chucking millions at us? Mr Moonbeams anyone? Short memories some have.

Believe it or not, not every team that has a good sum invested in them end up going into admin etc. Plenty of examples around the world.

I'm not saying investment is coming in waves, but I'm saying I don't think this board can or will deliver. The excuse of 'aye but they're Rangers men' - well so am I, but I certainly don't claim to be able to deliver what is required. Yes they rescued us from the spivs, but I think they've reached their limit now.

Who was the American who wanted to buy out Ashley, Easdale etc. and whose offer was rejected by them just before King & Co. made their move? If I’m remembering correctly he came recommended by a former player (David Robertson?). What’s he doing now?

They are Rangers men and have put millions in to save us. We are where we are but to question if they are Rangers men is pathetic.

Why?? This "rangers men" tag is what buys them their indefinite get out of jail pass, and hurts the club in the long term.

It's precisely because we don't question their efforts that the club isn't progressing enough.

I really like and admire Dave King and others on the board and all of us want them to succeed The facts are as it stands today, they are not fit for purpose in so many areas. Getting Steven gerrard in may lift us all. Get shot of Robertson and traynor and get someone in who will defend and take our brand forward. We are still the greatest football club in the world bar none.

In the last 12 months that the 3rd humiliating defeat we have taken from that lot. I actually despair at this and 100% blame the board for putting the Rangers support through this.
I see these guys as absolute buffoons.

They are novices at running a football club and we are going to have to be patient and wait until the get it right.

It will take time and it's highly unlikely it will come in time to derail them from getting 10iar but it will click eventually, surely?

King, Murray, AJ - they have all been involved with running our football club before. This isn't new to them. They know how this shit is supposed to work but are clearly incompetent.

And if the bheasts get to 12 or 13 in a row will we still be saying "ah but the board are Rangers men and helped save the club"? When is enough finally enough?

The weekend obviously resulted in more pressure on the club and the board, but I still can't help but notice a bad reaction by many of us to criticism of the board, particularly when people ask questions about them finding someone else with more financial muscle to take over.

A few things to note:

- the board should be commended for what they've done for rangers, rescuing the club from the spivs

- the above does not make them immune to criticism, and certainly doesn't earn them a lifelong get out of jail card

My view is that they've done a stellar job of stabilising the club, but football-wise they are out of their depth.

Changing the manager is simply papering over a huge crack. Without wholesale change in the club, we can't expect big things from solely a new manager.

And before someone pipes in with "who's waiting to take over from the board" - there are ways to entice individuals to make an offer and take over from the current board. Just because you can't think of someone capable right now, doesn't mean there isn't someone out there capable of taking rangers back to the top who just doesn't know of the opportunity to come in yet.

Hello. I have just joined the forum and hope it's ok to post to this thread. I must admit that I don't think the board deserve much credit. Yes, they came in, but where is the money talked about? Where is the long-term planning? Where is the recognition that there is no quick fix? Where is the logic in paying 250k a year to manage PR, when we leak like a sieve?

Anyone else heard the rumour that there is investment on the way if we get Gerrard, and that King will step down when that happens...seeing as he relies on the Parks' money anyway...?

Whatever happens, WATP and we WILL come back and we WILL beat them again.

Who was the American who wanted to buy out Ashley, Easdale etc. and whose offer was rejected by them just before King & Co. made their move? If I’m remembering correctly he came recommended by a former player (David Robertson?). What’s he doing now?
Sarver, owned the Phoenix Suns basketball side

DK & AJ may have been directors before but didn't have a lot of
input into the day to day running of the club especially the football
side as under Murray every decision seemed to be a one man decision.
Therefor they have no experience and are learning on the hoof and
getting things wrong, would be best if football decisions were made
by a football man or men and the board concentrated on the business side.

90% of criticism of the board come from <100 post count posters....

The tims have this weird fascination of wanting the support to turn on King and the board.

A few things to note:

Where I’m not disagreeing with you the facts are the Buck always stops at the Top as the credit and the plaudits of success stops there as well.
I can’t see anything wrong with criticism to keep them on their toes.

The board did well in getting us out of the hands of the spivs. They inherited a clusterfuck of problems that they have largely navigated their way through putting the club on a more financially favourable status.

They were not wrong to focus on these issues.

King and the rest are fans and they have made mistakes on the footballing front. Now that the club is more stable I think that the focus will switch to on field issues.

It will be another season before I turn on them.

We should be very, very careful what we wish for.

King, Park, Johnston, Letham, etc are all guys I want involved with the club, but I think we need better people managing the day to day aspects of it starting with a more effective MD and, quite possibly, a DoF, if we’re going to continue down this route.

I’m really not sure the men we have in these positions at the moment are as dynamic as they could be and I think that’s what we probably need even before we get to the manager if we want to make a significant leap forward.

It speaks volumes when this is the best anyone can come up with to justify them...
Well who is waiting?
I don't know anybody who personally owns Rangers who can sell the club. As far as I am aware that the club is owned by numerous shareholders, me included.
So how does this work, not an expert in this field, but surely the only way anyone could take over this club, they would have to approach all the major shareholders and offer to buy their shares. I'm simply just asking the question would love to know how this buying our club would work.

Nonsense , nobody has stuck their head out or put money into the club other than the board.
The financial side of the club was in dire straits due to the previous scummy bastards.
How many times have the current board added money to keep us going without asking for anything back in return.
I would agree that the choosing of managers has been very very poor.
After instilling a director of football the board should have stepped back and left the decisions to him.

We will have to find the backing and financial investment coming in or Steven Gerrard will not be our next manager.

Same will apply to the Warnocks and the pulis's if that's who we would go for.

We will end up with a run of the mill manager, who will have to make do with the present style set up.

Back