Real Madrid legend Gento dies, aged 88

valencia05

From BBC

Real Madrid and Spain legend Francisco "Paco" Gento has died aged 88.

Gento, who spent 18 years with Real from 1953-1971, is the only player to have won six European Cups.
The left winger made 600 appearances for the club and scored 182 goals as he also helped them to 12 league crowns, two Copa del Rey titles and one Intercontinental Cup.

He won 43 caps for Spain and represented his country in the 1962 and 1966 World Cups.

His club record of 23 trophies, which stood for over 50 years, was equalled on Sunday by Real captain Marcelo when he came on as a substitute in the club's Spanish Super Cup title-winning victory.

Gento started his career at Racing Santander before his move to the Spanish capital.

"Real Madrid would like to express its condolences and its love and affection to his wife Mari Luz, his sons Francisco and Julio, his granddaughters Aitana and Candela and all his relatives, colleagues and loved ones," Real said in a statement.

"He will always be remembered by Madridistas and all football fans as one of their greatest."

Remember my old dad telling me how good a player he was. Proper legend

Remember my grandpa and great uncle mentioning him before saying he was an absolute flying machine.

Back in the day at the commencement of the European Cup tournament, Gento became a household name for all football fans alongside those of Puskas and Di Stefano. We had never seen their like before. Gento's pace was incredible. He really was one of Europe's greats of that era.

Only know the name and the legend but Legend he very much is . RIP Gento and thoughts with his family and friends .

Three names that rolled off the tongue of any young boy who was into football in the early 60s, Gento, Puskas and Di Stefano. Real were a magificent team who dominated Europe.

Eight years old when I watched the 1960 European Cup Final. Live on the telly, which was more or less unheard of in those days.

I loved that Real team and couldn’t believe it when Eintracht Frankfurt took the lead at Hampden. They’d humped us in the semis right enough and were a helluva team.

But that forward line was the best I’ve ever seen to this day. Caranio, Del Sol, Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento. And Francisco was the fastest winger on the planet. The fact that he rated Eric Caldow so highly says a lot about the best full back Scotland has ever seen - and I’m including McGrain and Sandy Jardine

Eight years old when I watched the 1960 European Cup Final. Live on the telly, which was more or less unheard of in those days.

I loved that Real team and couldn’t believe it when Eintracht Frankfurt took the lead at Hampden. They’d humped us in the semis right enough and were a helluva team.

But that forward line was the best I’ve ever seen to this day. Caranio, Del Sol, Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento. And Francisco was the fastest winger on the planet. The fact that he rated Eric Caldow so highly says a lot about the best full back Scotland has ever seen - and I’m including McGrain and Sandy Jardine
Have had a strong affection for Real Madrid ever since seeing them against us back in 1963. What a truly wonderful team they were in that era!

You rate Suarez ahead of Mbappe?

Suarez at his peak, alongside Messi and Neymar are the best front 3 ever IMO. Their numbers speak for themselves.

When Mbappe has a season like Suarez did (where he scored 60+ and outscored Messi & Ronaldo) then there might be a discussion.

I had a coach years ago who had played for Leciester City in the 60s.

They were due to play Real so a couple of them snuck in to see them train a day or so before their cup tie.

The word they were there got out so Real up their tempo to try and scare the shit out of their opponents.
He told us that Gento was absolutely flying and just in case they hadn’t got the message Gento finished off a crossing routine by doing an acrobatic tumble at speed and knocking the ball into the net.

Suarez at his peak, alongside Messi and Neymar are the best front 3 ever IMO. Their numbers speak for themselves.

When Mbappe has a season like Suarez did (where he scored 60+ and outscored Messi & Ronaldo) then there might be a discussion.
He looks all set to give it a go don't you think?

Back