Real Madrid opposed to La Liga hosting games outside Spain (response to Villarreal v Atletico game scheduled for Miami)

mkgers

Real Madrid oppose staging Villarreal-Atleti game in Miami
The club sent a strong letter to the RFEF, UEFA and FIFA to express their "opposition to the game as it would affect the integrity and equality the competition".
Joaquín Maroto
12/11/2019 21:10
DANI SANCHEZ DIARIO AS
Real Madrid have sent a letter to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to request that the Week 16 league match between Villarreal and Atlético Madrid should not be played in Miami, as LaLiga plan to do on 6 December. Similar letters have been forwarded to UEFA and FIFA. Madrid have formally expressed their "total opposition to the game being played in the United States as it would affect the integrity and equality of the competition". The strongly-worded document, which Diario AS has had access to, also accuses LaLiga of committing "a premeditated act, based on interests unrelated to and distant from those concerning sport".

Today, LaLiga sought legal permission for the game to go ahead in Miami next monththrough the Circuit Commercial Court No.12 in Madrid. Faced with that situation, Real Madrid have reacted by formally putting in writing their "surprise by LaLiga's intentions, and that of an organisation which must always maintain impartiality". Madrid letter added that staging the game in the United States will not only affect Villarreal and Atlético "but also the rest of the club who compete in the First Division - clubs who have not even been consulted".
Staging Villarreal-Atlético in Miami breaches FIFA regulations
The RFEF have forwarded Madrid's letter to UEFA and FIFA, who have already established general rules which state that "official league games played within each national federation must be played on local territory" otherwise FIFA authorisation is required. According to sources at the RFEF, "Villarreal and Atlético run the risk of landing themselves in serious trouble if they breach FIFA regulations".
LaLiga president Javier Tebas is confident of pushing ahead with the game in Miami because he is optimistic that his proposal will be notarized by the Commercial Court - especially after the deal to stage the next three editions of the Spanish Super Cup in Saudi Arabia...

Wasn't there supposed to be a Clasico played in the Americas somewhere that got cancelled for the reasons Real Madrid are putting forward now?

I'd imagine it's probably the latter but if it gets the the weight of Real Madrid on the side of denouncing this it can only be a good thing.

Yip, their point still stands.

Absolutely no reason for a La Liga game to be played in the US (well, apart from $$$).

Did the bheasts not have a plan to play (Dundee I think) overseas? What happened to that idea?
Dundee had the plan to play them in Philadelphia I think in March 2017

It was Dundee's home game

"With today’s fixture amendments release including the upcoming home match against Celtic we would like to address the situation regarding discussions which have been ongoing with the possibility of playing a fixture in the United States of America.

They may have had a say in it as well

Last edited:
Going to the home game this week mate ?
Nope
But you've got a season ticket
Aye but it's being played in Miami

Total load of pish I hope never takes off, nonsense

Sounds a bit ironic from a club who's biggest revenue driver is from their commercial arrangements.

Not that I disagree with their position here but Real Madrid's global brand contributes hugely to their wealth.

It's weird but Madrid are a bit high and mighty about this, not like they haven't had assistance over the years.

Don't hear them crying about playing the new 4 team Spanish Super Cup in Saudi, is it because the Saudi's pay stupid money maybe?

Sounds a bit ironic from a club who's biggest revenue driver is from their commercial arrangements.

Not that I disagree with their position here but Real Madrid's global brand contributes hugely to their wealth.

All based upon rules and articles set out by the association prior to participation in the competition though.

Either Real are annoyed that it's not them playing the game or perhaps more likely Atletico don't have a tricky game away to Villarreal anymore as it's now a neutral stadium so in theory easier for them to get the 3 points which could affect where Real finish in the league.

Must say I felt really sorry for the Boca & River fans last season when the Copa Libertadores final ended up being played in Madrid.

That's a good thing - this whole taking leagues on tour is utter nonsense. League games should be played in the country that league is part of - no excuses. Same goes for cup competitions. Unless the cup is something that is representing multiple leagues and countries it shouldn't even be considered.

I know it's a big thing with the NFL at the moment. The NHL are doing a bit of it just now as well. However, I don't agree with doing that at all. That said, it's a little different with these types as they are franchises and can be moved between cities even back in the USA - so, the fans face the prospect of their team not playing near home anyway. Added to the fact the distance to travel is that big it may as well be in a different country anyway.

Spanish football does not fall into any of those categories.

Its a joke that it's even being considered, the actual football matches seem like a sideshow for money making schemes these days.

Plans to play Villarreal's home game against Atletico Madrid on 6 December in Miami have been abandoned.

A Spanish court has decided not to grant "interim measures" to allow La Liga to stage the game as a decisive case on the issue of matches being held abroad is to take place in early 2020.

The planned game is being blocked by the Spanish Football Association. The court will make a final ruling on whether the FA can prevent La Liga holding a game in the US in February. Last year Barcelona abandoned plans to play a game against Girona in Miami because of a "lack of consensus".

Who's who in the argument?

La Liga - the Spanish League, which represents the top-flight clubs and wants to take a game to the US

RFEF - the Spanish Football Association, which governs the sport in the country and is currently blocking the US games

AFE - the Spanish players association, an interested observer

The Spanish Football Association (RFEF) and players' union (AFE) were vocal in their objections to the Girona-Barcelona game.

February's court case is about holding league games abroad and will come down to whether, under Spanish law, the FA has the right to block La Liga - the top league in Spanish football - from holding matches in the US.

On Friday, Madrid's Mercantile Court decided not to issue a temporary ruling allowing the Villareal v Atletico Madrid game to go ahead because it does not want to pre-empt the February case.

The Spanish league said: "La Liga respects this decision, which does not prejudge the substance of the matter, which will be permanently settled in February 2020. "We hope that from February forth La Liga will be able to organise an official match beyond Spanish borders."

Both Villarreal and Atletico had agreed to the game at NFL side the Miami Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium, but the RFEF had not granted permission. The game will now be played as scheduled in Villarreal's Estadio de la Ceramica.

La Liga signed up to play one game a season in the US as part of a 15-year deal with media company Relevent in 2018.

Whatever the reason for Real’s objection, they’re quite right to oppose this absolutely disgraceful idea.

It’s one thing playing meaningless, made-up “competitions” in foreign countries - clubs have always played friendlies around the world - but taking League games there is an absolutely travesty and essentially stealing the club away from the fans who gave it life and keep it in existence. Any club who even considers this should face a massive backlash from its fans. I’d go so far as to say I’d boycott Ibrox under any ownership that planned this. If they don’t need or want me at some games, then that’s what they’d get for all games.

Back