Realistically how many points can we expect from our Europa group?

Six points from the four games and beat YB by more than a goal I think we'll go through.

Last night was a massive chance blown. We probably need to be winning at home now to both Porto and Young Boys, which is a very difficult task.

thinking positively, beat YB at home, two draws vs Porto, and a draw away to Feyenoord. Takes us to 9 points and would probably be enough. That's my glass half full/blue tinted specs take on it.

It’s really quite incredible isn’t it! Imagine if two years ago under Pedro/Murty someone had said in two years time we were going to take 4 points of Feyenoord and Porto, and be one draw away from the latter stages of the Europa League? Oh and be joint top of the league going into December and a cup final?

We have done better than I initially expected in 3 games, and worse in 1.

I went for:

Feyenoord 3
YB 1
Porto 0
Porto 1
Feyenoord 0
YB 3

We currently have the tally I thought we could get, and unbelievably we need 1 more to qualify. I thought the 8 would be enough, but then I expected Porto to clean up and they've possibly been the worst team in the group, and may still win the group.

It would be outstanding if we could beat Young Boys and win the group. Fantastic for the country and co-efficient if we could both win our groups. (I know, %^*& them and the co-efficient etc)

It’s really quite incredible isn’t it! Imagine if two years ago under Pedro/Murty someone had said in two years time we were going to take 4 points of Feyenoord and Porto, and be one draw away from the latter stages of the Europa League? Oh and be joint top of the league going into December and a cup final?

Porto were in the quarters of the CL last season and we really should have took six points from them in truth.

Massive strides under Gerrard and hopefully we add some silverware next weekend.

A lot of egg heading towards FF faces from this thread, when we beat YBs :)

Except @Northampton Lodger who looks right on the money with a win in our last group match.

Hope you’re right buddy. I genuinely believe you will be :))

He had a great record in Europa League at this stage last season and we finished with 6 points. I think we have progressed of course, but at the same time this group is much stronger than the one last season. Look at the history of our group stage records and you will see we always struggle. There is no point in people guessing 10 points as it just won’t happen. If we get 10 points + I will get the final group tattood on me.
Tattoo coming for @Another Dodgy Decision.....

Easy to say in hindsight but I've always thought in Europa league, given the varying quality of teams that qualify, getting 2nd place is a realistic target - and 8 points is usually enough. Frustrating that this group has been so competitive, but think we've got enough to beat Young Boys at home to see us through.

Easy to say in hindsight but I've always thought in Europa league, given the varying quality of teams that qualify, getting 2nd place is a realistic target - and 8 points is usually enough. Frustrating that this group has been so competitive, but think we've got enough to beat Young Boys at home to see us through.
I know what you are saying about it being frustrating but that's down to the 4th seeds nobody wanted taking 4 from both Porto and Feyenoord. The 4th seeds are meant to be cannon fodder and finish with 2-3 points maximum and we've spoiled that and have a home game left

I know what you are saying about it being frustrating but that's down to the 4th seeds nobody wanted taking 4 from both Porto and Feyenoord. The 4th seeds are meant to be cannon fodder and finish with 2-3 points maximum and we've spoiled that and have a home game left

Very true and keep forgetting we were the 4th seed :D

The difference from last year is we've found ways to beat (imo better) teams at home in the group and that's given us the confidence to compete against Feyenoord. Think last season we'd have conceded more in that first half when up against it.

I think the problem we have is that based on ranking we are a pot 4 team, but our quality is easily at least 3rd pot but potentially 2nd, which is why everyone says we are the pot 4 team that no one wants. Usually, the pot 4 team has no chance of getting through (Astana etc)

I think we’ll get 10-12.
Feyenoord 3 and 1
Porto 3 and 1
Young Boys 3 and 1

There’s every chance with this team!

If we’re going to qualify we’ll need at least 7 points from our home games and either one win or two draws away.
Hopefully almost spot on.

4 point each so far from Feyenoord and Porto.
And take something from Young Boys at Ibrox to qualify.. I'd have took that before a ball was kicked !! :p

We are set up well for Europe but we lack goals at that level. I’d go for 8-10 max.
Shameless bump. Delighted to get through, but pretty much on the money...a lack of goals (which cost us the top spot) and plum in the middle of the 8-10 points. Interestingly we’d have won all three ties if they’d be two legged knockouts.

Shameless bump. Delighted to get through, but pretty much on the money...a lack of goals (which cost us the top spot) and plum in the middle of the 8-10 points. Interestingly we’d have won all three ties if they’d be two legged knockouts.
Young Boys would have eliminated us 3-2.

Without too much thought, my gut would be:

Young boys
opinion - 3 pts
best case - 4 pts

Porto
opinion - 1 pt
best case - 3 pts

Feyenoord (secured 3)
opinion - 4 pts It's close
best case - 6 pts

Opinion - 8 pts
Potentially - 10 pts
Best best case - 13 pts (I think that's a bridge to far)

realistically though there's probably some bias in the opinions and there's an argument for between 5 and 8 pts.

I think it will be close, I don't think we'll get everything our own way, and I don't think there is a single easy point in the above.

My absolute priority is the league though, so it will be interesting to see how the squads are managed in between times. It's another step in Gerrards management career, tough fixtures to handle whilst making a serious push for the league.

Young Boys
Expected better and should have secured the 3 pts in the last game and probably saw out a draw minimum in the first.

Porto
Exceeded my expectations tbh. We performed very well against Porto over the 2 games.

Feyenoord
Pretty much on the money.

Between 8 and 10 but in the end should have exceeded that based on performances and situations we found ourselves in. Should have saw out the game against Young boys twice as we were the better team (shot ourselves in the foot twice).
Exceeded ourselves against Porto and no complaints against feyenoord.

Good campaign, but I wouldn't be taking Braga lightly if I were us.

9, well above what I thought we could do. And to think we actually should have had 14 as we threw away good leads v Young Boys twice. Then again we are happy with the slightly easier Braga tie. Must be SG's European experience which is helping the team, only wish he was a bit more intelligent with his subs when the game is going wrong but he will learn.

Agree I feel like I have a cold coming on s---- s---- !
One of a few on here who must have a conflict of interests with how well we're doing this season. Go onto kerryfail to whinge and seek reassurance or come on here and try to masquerade as a bluenose and spread negative vibes.

Edit to add: If he is genuinely a bluenose then he'd do well to change his attitude and outlook to save further future embarrassment!

Back