Realistically how many points can we expect from our Europa group?

Really interesting, actually.

If we've invested financially more than the other two comparable clubs in the group, it should actually make not qualifying from it something of a disappointment.

Yes but important to note it only takes into account investments from last Summer. Haven't looked at the numbers for say the last 4-5 years but I imagine those clubs would have invested more than us over that period.

I see no reason why we can't beat Feyenoord away. They are absolutely dire. Usually when we play a team in Europe, even the diddy ones, there's always at least one player who stands out - Feyenoord didn't have a single one. They were all crap and shit themselves at Ibrox. They are tenth in Eredivisie. We should be turning them over away. We scored three goals away to Spartak last season with a weaker team than we have now. Three points absolutely has to be the target against Feyenoord.

I can't comment on Porto and Young Boys because I haven't seen them this season but we should be beating at least one of them at home.

9 points ought to be the target.
The number 17 for Feyenoord was a very good player. They’re 10th but only 4 points of first. Not as bad as your making them out to be.

A recurring trend seems to be optimistic starts tempered by some fairly awful stuff, particularly away from home. Would be interesting to work out why that is.

Indeed, I remember the 03/04 season being especially wretched. Back to back defeats to Manchester United and another loss in Germany. I remember heading to Ibrox in the final game against Panathanikos thinking "Well we will win this and have the UEFA cup at least."

How misplaced that was. Mols put us ahead only for the Greeks to stick 3 past us. A painful night.

Really interesting, actually.

If we've invested financially more than the other two comparable clubs in the group, it should actually make not qualifying from it something of a disappointment.

Perhaps. It may depend upon how settled a squad each team has and where they are coming from. We're coming from a defeat to the 4th best team in Luxembourg.

I would have thought winning all our home games was something that was achievable but interesting to read that it isn't something we have managed before in a European group stage.

After last year's games i am not ready to give up all of the 9 away points either tbh.

I am going to go for 10 points but we will gain them the hard way.
2 home wins and a draw.
1 away victory and two defeats.

That would give us our 10 points and see us through i think.

I hope Porto turn up and beat young boys and feyenoord home and away.

Obviously anything we get off them is a bonus then it leaves a shoot out between us Young Boys and Feyenoord.

Point total I’ll go 8.

Head says 8 points - heart says 10 points. Young boys will be a good test for us. Get a point there and it sets us up well.

Capable of 10 I think but I think this will be a tight group and all teams will take points off each other. Be similar to our group last year. Need to make the most of our home games. The draw against Spartak last year really fucked us.

7 or 8 but would be brilliant to see the same level of home performances regardless of outcome. Thursday was what it is all about.

You've got to aim for 9/9 from home then try and sneak some thing away from home.

Young Boys play on plastic and we are terrible on that surface.

Porto away won't be easy and having seen Feyenoord three times this season, there is no reason why we can't go over to the Netherlands and put in a professional performance.

Feyenoord - 4/6 points
Porto - 3/6 points
Young Boys - 4/6 points

11 points you'd be looking for.

Rangers 1 Feyenoord 0 ,win 3pts
Young Boys away , Draw 1pt
porto away , Draw 1pt
porto home , loss 0pt
Feyenoord away , win 3pts
young boys home , Draw 1pt

so 9 points

I hope we do but I don’t see how so many people think we will beat Porto at home , even a draw will be a tremendous result so I think

Porto = LL
Feyenoord= WD
YB = WD

Feyenoord are now 10th in their league so we are in with a shout in Rotterdam. I can see them finishing bottom of the group. Young Boys must be beatable at home and hopefully a draw away. Porto will be tough. 10 points?

3 at home to Young Boys is achievable. Anything above 6 points at the end would be a fine effort. It will be interesting to see how we do in the away matches, the defending will have to be better than last year's away efforts.

I think we will get 7 points in total. However I do think Porto will top the group. Will be up to the us other 3 to take points off each other.

I fear not getting that 2nd goal against feyenoord may scupper us on further down the line.

I see us as an average EL team, we can beat most on our day or it can go the other way.

Porto are a class above, but Feyenoord and Young boys are very similar in standard to us.

I reckon it's a three way fight for second and it will all go down to fine margins. A wee bit of good or bad luck will make a difference.

Us, Feyenoord and YBs will probably all finish with 6 - 10 points.

at least 1 point at Young Boys away
0 points away to Porto
1 point at home to Porto
1 point away to Feyenoord
3 points at home to Young Boys
This is kinda the way I’m looking at it as well. I don’t think that’s unreasonable as a target, and anything else is a bonus.
Historically though it would suggest we’ll probably lose one of the away games with Feyenoord or Young Boys....

Young Boys won their league by 20 points last year

Midtjylland are currently sitting 4 points clear in their league which is ranked 7 places higher than the Swiss league and we swept them aside easily. I don't think you can read too much into domestic stats like these as it's always hard to gauge what exactly these teams are facing in their own leagues. I don't think Feyenoord for example would have played in many games like the one we gave them on Thursday - they looked totally shocked by it all.

Personally feeling confident about our chances in this group.

Midtjylland are currently sitting 4 points clear in their league which is ranked 7 places higher than the Swiss league and we swept them aside easily. I don't think you can read too much into domestic stats like these as it's always hard to gauge what exactly these teams are facing in their own leagues. I don't think Feyenoord for example would have played in many games like the one we gave them on Thursday - they looked totally shocked by it all.

Personally feeling confident about our chances in this group.
I do feel confident however they won't be a pushover, they were narrowly knocked out the champions league play off by Red Star on away goals. Will not be our easiest game by any stretch.

Play with that same high intensity and tempo that we did against Feyenoord then we can win any match in the group home or away

As a club we seem to always give the fans a false hope. Last season we gave Vienna a tonking. And who could forget the position we were I when Richard foster missed that empty net against Valencia. It usually ends with us not being world beaters though. I would guess we may pick up another home win and a point away maybe. So 7 I’m going for, which is respectable.

I think people will get a real fright when they see feyenoord at home against us. Will be a totally different animal

If we end up with more than 6, I'll consider it a relative success.

Better teams than the one we have just now have faced "weaker" groups and found themselves in difficulty progressing.

I think a lot of people are underestimating YB. I watched their two CL qualifiers with Red Star and while they ultimately went out in the tie, they're attack looks very dangerous. We'll be up against it to take a point in our next game.

I'm effectively writing off the two Porto games with anything taken from them as a bonus. If we can win at home to YB and take a draw in either of the away games in Switzerland or Holland, we'll be doing very well.

The confidence comes from Steven Gerrard’s Euro record as Rangers manager.

Have you been living on the moon and just landed back on earth?

He had a great record in Europa League at this stage last season and we finished with 6 points. I think we have progressed of course, but at the same time this group is much stronger than the one last season. Look at the history of our group stage records and you will see we always struggle. There is no point in people guessing 10 points as it just won’t happen. If we get 10 points + I will get the final group tattood on me.

I think once people get over the negativity and frustration tonight, they might take a most reasoned view.

Personally think we'll end on 8. A home win and two draws. Not sure if it'll be enough. We'll see.

Realistically 10 points, that is Based on both performances so far in the group. Really believe the game would have been won against YB if we hadn’t of conceded within the first 4 mins of the second half. Quite a tight group though, every team in contention for qualifying for the next round.

We win the rest of our games and finish top on 15 points.
We never play well on fake pitches.

I think 9. We should win all 3 at home but aren't good enough to get a point away.

We will get a total of Between 4 and 7 points and won’t qualify . We blew it last night big time , that was our chance . You don’t get second chances at this level . We will lose in Porto , lose in Rotterdam but we will at least draw With the Swiss at home maybe even beat them , and maybe sneak a draw v Porto at Ibrox . Not enough but we need to be realistic here .

Back