Realistically how many points can we expect from our Europa group?

at least 1 point at Young Boys away
0 points away to Porto
1 point at home to Porto
1 point away to Feyenoord
3 points at home to Young Boys

I think we are capable of winning our home games which is 9 points. Away win to young boys and a draw away to feyenoord. 13 points (I’m hoping anyway)

Hoping for 10 which would take us through but expecting 7 or 8 which will leave us at risk unless Porto pump everyone

You can't "expect" us to get 9/10 lol. We have progressed in the last 12 months but come on.

We should be hopeful of trying to win the home games but you can't expect it ha.

I'd honestly say from this group I would expect us to take a minimum of 5 points but believe we can possibly get 8/9 to get through.

9, from 3 home wins as think crowd will push team on but think we will struggle to register a point away but if we do it’s a bonus.

Honestly I reckon 4 unfortunately. Don’t know where people get the confidence from but I think if you really think 10 then I think you will be disappointed.
Do you honestly think we'll only get 1 more point in the 5 remaining matches? I agree 10 is ambitious but 4, cmon man, who shat in your soup at lunchtime?

I think we will beat Young Boys at Home, draw away at Feyenoord and probably lose twice to Porto if I'm being totally honest.

Young Boys are very strong and play on an artificial surface. For that reason id be pleasantly surprised if we take anything from out trip.

I think we will beat Young Boys at Home, draw away at Feyenoord and probably lose twice to Porto if I'm being totally honest.

Young Boys are very strong and play on an artificial surface. For that reason id be pleasantly surprised if we take anything from out trip.
That’s pretty much how I see it.

Which means it’ll be completely wrong :))

I can see us beating YB at home and a point v Porto at Ibrox.
We will get at least one point away from home but I cannot see us qualifying although I hope I am wrong.

We got 6 points last season.
We are in a tougher group this year without a doubt.
We have never won all 3 home games in a UEFA group competition.
Some posters here need to come down from the clouds a little bit.

Personally, I think anything we get off Porto will be a bonus.

Young Boys are a bit of an unknown proposition, looking at their European record over the past few seasons they've beaten some good sides :- Juventus, Dinamo Zagreb, Dynamo Kiev, Shakhtar Donetsk...we cannot underestimate them.

Feyenoord will be a different proposition away, I expect a far tougher game there.

It's a tough ask to get out of this group. We've only played one game. The run of the next three games we could still realistically still be sitting on three points after they are done.

Let's just take it a game at a time. I'd be very happy with a point in Switzerland.

Last edited:
So you think we will only get one more point?

I think all 3 away games will be extremely difficult. Last season we lost to 2 dreadful teams away from home - it's just not that easy to pick up points in Europe. I watched YB against Red Star and thought they were really good. I know we have improved since last season but so has the opposition this season.

I think we will pick up 1 point at home to YB. I know I'm a pessimist and I hope I am wrong of course!

We got 5 points last season.
We are in a tougher group this year without a doubt.
We have never won all 3 home games in a UEFA group competition.
Some posters here need to come down from the clouds a little bit.

Personally, I think anything we get off Porto will be a bonus.

Young Boys are a bit of an unknown proposition, looking at their European record over the past few seasons they've beaten some good sides :- Juventus, Dinamo Zagreb, Dynamo Kiev, Shakhtar Donetsk...we cannot underestimate them.

Feyenoord will be a different proposition away, I expect a far tougher game there.

It's a tough ask to get out of this group. We've only played one game. The run of the next three games we could still realistically still be sitting on three points after they are done.

Let's just take it a game at a time. I'd be very happy with a point in Switzerland.

A fellow realist (although it was 6 points last season).

If I had to guess, I'd say six points. Three draws, two losses.

I see us keeping games close, maybe even holding the lead in some then flagging late on if Gerrard intends to make the gegenpress our standard European tactic.

7 points I reckon (another win and a draw), a point better than last season. I'd look upon anything more as a huge bonus. None of these games are gimmes.

I think we’ll get 10-12.
Feyenoord 3 and 1
Porto 3 and 1
Young Boys 3 and 1

There’s every chance with this team!

If we’re going to qualify we’ll need at least 7 points from our home games and either one win or two draws away.

3 points at home to YB.

1 point at home to Porto.

1 point on the road either at YB or Feyenoord.

If we can manage the above we would be doing very well and would have a chance of qualifying.

I think people will get a real fright when they see feyenoord at home against us. Will be a totally different animal

Without too much thought, my gut would be:

Young boys
opinion - 3 pts
best case - 4 pts

Porto
opinion - 1 pt
best case - 3 pts

Feyenoord (secured 3)
opinion - 4 pts It's close
best case - 6 pts

Opinion - 8 pts
Potentially - 10 pts
Best best case - 13 pts (I think that's a bridge to far)

realistically though there's probably some bias in the opinions and there's an argument for between 5 and 8 pts.

I think it will be close, I don't think we'll get everything our own way, and I don't think there is a single easy point in the above.

My absolute priority is the league though, so it will be interesting to see how the squads are managed in between times. It's another step in Gerrards management career, tough fixtures to handle whilst making a serious push for the league.

We always seem to start European group stages well then fall away. Realistically if we could take another 4 points at home and 1 point away that might be enough. Looks like a group where teams will take points off each other.

Honestly I reckon 4 unfortunately. Don’t know where people get the confidence from but I think if you really think 10 then I think you will be disappointed.

We're getting the confidence from the fact that we should have scored about five against Feyenoord. We bossed them.

Are you seriously suggesting we'll only win one point from our remaining five matches?

That takes masochism to a whole new level.

Beyond belief.

I think we'll draw the 2 home games and beat Feyenoord away, so another 5 points.

A few people underestimating Young Boys here.

Back