Really not a big Windass fan,but

Saw some on another thread strangely giving him higher marks than Holt.
Just watched the game again to take a more measured view and still thought he was largely ineffective. He's a big boy physically so he's got to learn not to go down easily, he won't get the decision. Too much wandering about the pitch, didn't really press, didn't really close down.

He has the physical attributes but just don't think he has the focus.

I said to my boys at about 50 minutes that he had been poor. He picked up after that.

It may have been far from his best game but he certainly wasn’t ineffective. He was so unlucky with his shot that hit the post in the first half, then won us the penalty in the 2nd half. He can do better but that was certainly a significant contribution.

I have defended to the hilt of late especially on this forum and like the lad but I actually felt he was really quiet in the first half last night,come on to a better game in the second half but nowhere near his best match.

Great engine,certainly improved from earlier in the season,don’t like when he gets there but pulls out of 50/50s.

I'd be tempted to drop him on Sunday and go with 2 up top with cummings taking his place there bottom of the league do should be plenty chances for the strikers
Said this last night on way home. Also when at home we should be playing Cummings and Morelos up top together. Even against Celtic - we should be putting pressure on their defence - its shite.

He has a strange game. From the poor to the very unimpressive to the excellent. The run for the penalty was superb, so were some touches and build up play. Other stuff less so.

Have to conclude the OP was under the influence.

I didn't think he played anywhere near as good as he can yet he still hit the post, won a penalty and forced a wonder save from the sheep keeper.

He is developing into a top player.

He's clearly a talented player. Needs to improve his decision making but it might be a big ask cos he's clearly not the brightest :D

Also needs to stop throwing himself to the ground trying to get free kicks, happened a couple of times last night and Madden was rightly having none of it.

Since Murty started playing him more centrally he's been far more effective and is now making a telling contribution but his decision making is still a bit suspect imo. That being said, it's great to see him blossom into a genuine option for us, the recently added competition should help push him on hopefully.

Thought he did fine last night. Great workrate and always keeps defenders on their toes.

Thought he was rubbish, again, not as invisible as he was at the piggery. Best summed up in the 2nd half when he went on a counter attack should have gone himself but passes it to holt, but the pass went behind him and killed the move.

Watch how often he gets into a position and makes the wrong choice or the cross or shot is a waste. Doesn’t have the brain to keep up with his feet. We need better

He was better at Aberdeen.

Good tonight. Anyone saying otherwise has a problem with the boy. He done good.

Agree completely.

It's impossible to single out any player who underperformed last night. The entire team played well, with some playing outstandingly well

Windass has been a whipping boy for some on here for ages, when the truth is he puts in a decent shift most weeks. He's in that team on merit.

I thought he was poor - heart of a mouse. He has the ability to cause teams a lot of trouble but you only ever seen it in glimpses.....

Hes our biggest danger by a country mile. I thought he was ok last night but look at our victories under Murty and youll see windass either on the score sheet or an assist.

Look at our defeats under murty and youll see windass ineffective.

This doesn't come down to windass, it comes down to our team and how we perform. We've lacked confidence previously but if we can keep tempo, pace and power in the final 3rd we'll score a barrow load second half of season.

I like him but I want us to go 4-4-2 against the weaker teams in the league, as I want to see Morelos and Cummings as a partnership. If that happens then Windass drops out the team for me as he’s ineffective out wide.
I get the impression that the gaffer sees them as competing for the one place rather than being a partnership, which is a shame if true. Love to see the two of them as front men together.

Did ok works hard ,has good turn of pace.
Needs to work on upper body definitely better in behind Morelos.
Think fans are too harsh on him

Hes had a big improvement in terms of play since murty came in and put him in the middle. Hope he can build on that

I thought he was off the pace a bit tonight.

I agree

There was a couple of time he had acres of space to run in to but opted for the pass which slowed things down....

He has athletic ability, his work rate is starting to improve but sometimes his decision making is off.....

He's young and got time to improve that.

I'm becoming a fan!

I'd be worried if he was happy to be coming off. I took his apparent disgust at coming off, more at himself for not adding to his tally, rather than for being substituted. As I say, he had run his race and had very little left in the tank.

I thought he was easily the poorest of the starting eleven.

Not really want to end negative after a great win

Nobody was poor last night and it was a terrific run he made for the penalty

Very dangerous when either making runs beyond Morelos, or running with the ball at their central defence.

He's a very important part of our new formation.

I'd be tempted to drop him on Sunday and go with 2 up top with cummings taking his place there bottom of the league do should be plenty chances for the strikers

Why on earth would you want to change last night's formation?

We created loads of chances against a team that were lying 2nd in the league before last night's game.

I thought it was a typical Josh performance, not seen for a while then bursts into action.
I think he is a lot more dangerous under Murty, and his bursts are really hurting the opposition. There is a very good player under there, it might just take time to come to the fore consistently.

Back