Reasons for not Subscribing to unlimited RTV

Why don't you have the unlimited RTV subscription?

• I go to every game Home and Away anyway

Votes: 49 7.4%
  • I go to every Home game and watch away on Sky/BT

Votes: 215 32.5%
  • I want to PPV single games as I choose

Votes: 75 11.3%
  • I don't know how a VPN works to set it up

Votes: 100 15.1%
  • I can't afford £17.25 a month

Votes: 147 22.2%
  • I don't know how to watch RTV on my TV

Votes: 59 8.9%
  • I do subscribe for the £17.25 unlimited package

Votes: 122 18.4%
  • I don't think RTV is reliable/value for money

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters

And_The_New

For the purpose of this poll I'm going to assume that everyone wants to watch every game home and away. So that means the only option as far as RTV is concerned is the Unlimited £17.25 a month subscription. So the question is why don't you subscribe to that package.

There seems to be a general consensus from people that do subscribe to this package that even though it could be better in some areas, it's still great value for money.

New Option added to poll. Multiple choices are available for anyone who wants to vote for that aswell as their original vote.

Last edited:
I’ve got a season ticket and usually find a stream to watch the away games. I’ve got the £5 subscription but I can’t really afford the 17 quid a month option on top of everything else tbh.

I go to every home game, subscribe to RTV (£49 annual) and also have BT Sports, mainly for European matches.

Buy the occasional ppv on RTV when I'm abroad.

Ok I'll update the poll with a couple more options. One I already subscribe and I don't know how to watch it on my TV.

I’ve got a season ticket and usually find a stream to watch the away games. I’ve got the £5 subscription but I can’t really afford the 17 quid a month option on top of everything else tbh.

Cancel your TV licence and upgrade to the £17 a month option. Taking the same amount of money away from the BBC and giving it to RTV.

You kill two birds with one stone.

A lot of fans use dodgy streams. Realistically that’s one of the biggest loss of earnings for Rangers I would say. Obviously people won’t say that on here, but there are several Facebook pages I know that encourage and facilitate this, they all have tens of thousands of members.
I have subscribed to the £17.25 package because I was going to miss some of the friendly games, I was going to cancel after a month because I’m a ST holder. I now find myself in a position where I won’t be able to attend games for a while, so I’ll just keep on the monthly subscription.

Seen a couple have already voted they don't know how to use a VPN. There's a great step by step guide up on FF detailing how to set one up and use it to watch RTV.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...ide-to-using-a-vpn-to-watch-rangers-tv.22035/

An excellent guide by @squaddie-bear on buying a RangersTV subscription and then setting up to use Tunnelbear VPN. I think that’s a free VPN and it’s alright for what it does.

Paid for VPNs tend to be better (faster and more secure) but Tunnelbear is an easy and cheap way to get the hang of things. Anyone getting a paid for VPN would be advised to get one on a 3 year, pay monthly subscription, which brings the VPN cost down to under £3 a month in most crashes. Purchasing separately every month can be very expensive.

If I buy the Unlimited package for today and Thursday’s games, do I need to fanny about with a VPN?

If so I’ll just hold off and PPV on Thur

ST holder now so will be at all home games and some away, but otherwise watch on TV. I just don't feel it's worth subscribing to the extra content as it's usually on other outlets fairly quickly and the important stuff will be on here.

If I buy the Unlimited package for today and Thursday’s games, do I need to fanny about with a VPN?

Not for today but maybe Thursday. Depends if a broadcaster picks up the rights for the UK.

Don't let that put you off though, it's easy enough to do in the hour before the game.

Not for today and but maybe Thursday. Depends if a broadcaster picks up the rights for the UK.

Don't let that out you off though, it's easy enough to do in the hour before the game.

Cheers.

I know how to do it, it’s just not convenient to have cables running from my PC to TV with a one year old crawling about :))

Prefer being able to watch directly on my tv browser and as far as I know I can’t use a VPN on that.

You don’t need a VPN for today. You MIGHT need one for Thursday, it depends if Premier Sports secure exclusive UK rights. If they do, then you would need a VPN, if nobody picks up the game, RTV will probably screen it worldwide rather than just outside the U.K.

An excellent guide by @squaddie-bear on buying a RangersTV subscription and then setting up to use Tunnelbear VPN. I think that’s a free VPN and it’s alright for what it does.

Paid for VPNs tend to be better (faster and more secure) but Tunnelbear is an easy and cheap way to get the hang of things. Anyone getting a paid for VPN would be advised to get one on a 3 year, pay monthly subscription, which brings the VPN cost down to under £3 a month in most crashes. Purchasing separately every month can be very expensive.

I got a £20 lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited through an offer in one of the computing email subscriptions I have. CNET I think.

I also pay for the full UK Rangers TV package. About £96 from memory for a year. I pay on a pay per match basis for matches I am not at.

Im already on the CCCS and go to some away games as well as subscribing to regular RTV and get BT Sports due to phone contract. Can't justify the extra cash.

Interesting that so far the majority vote is for watching away games on Sky/BT. I think this is the group Rangers are targeting to try and get subscribed to RTV instead.

When Rangers are not playing I like to watch other football which means I’m stuck with BT and Sky. So adding another £17 a month onto my bills is a bit much.

I’d maybe consider adding this if I can get my bill down with virgin media when it’s due for renewal .

Interesting that so far the majority vote is for watching away games on Sky/BT. I think this is the group Rangers are targeting to try and get subscribed to RTV instead.

Thing is if people want to watch football outside of Rangers you can't really knock them for taking the Sky/BT option.

For some supporters RTV might seem like a no brainer - and don't get me wrong it's a great thing to have. But a lot of customers have different demands & budgets so don't think it will ever quite suit everyone's needs.

During any match thread it is full of posters complaining about the feed quality and sound quality. Posters saying the picture is almost unwatchable. I don't mind paying for something but if the quality isn't good enough (Rangers or not) then they are not getting my money.

During any match thread it is full of posters complaining about the feed quality and sound quality. Posters saying the picture is almost unwatchable. I don't mind paying for something but if the quality isn't good enough (Rangers or not) then they are not getting my money.
I think in all but one game in the past 12 months I've had HD quality for 90 full minutes. I believe the one that was dodgy was down to local feed provider that RTV were piggybacking.

I go to the games with my ST and I am tied in to BT and Sky packages. Would need BT for the group stages. If I never attended games the £17.25 per month would be a bargain

As an aside, why do we sell our rights to Premier Sports? Surely would be better to show it ourselves on PPV and make more money?

We did that for the St Joseph's home game so it's definitely something we're looking into. Away games aren't up to us though.

I think in all but one game in the past 12 months I've had HD quality for 90 full minutes. I believe the one that was dodgy was down to local feed provider that RTV were piggybacking.
That sounds better, obviously people are only going to post when the feeds crap. If the general quality is good then I would be willing to pay.

I’d rather watch it through Sky on my large tv with a perfect picture along with all the other games out with Rangers . Season ticket holder that goes to home games and some away . If you could watch RTV on Sky then I would probably consider subscribing

I have a ST so i go to all home matches and i have sky sports /bt sports for away games so another £17 a month on top of my tv / mobile phone contract and other outgoings is pointless

I go to most games anyway but not friendlies. At this time of year it makes sense to pay the £17 for a month or 2 in order to watch a few friendlies and a couple of European aways that are normally on a channel I don't have.

That sounds better, obviously people are only going to post when the feeds crap. If the general quality is good then I would be willing to pay.
Yeah it is, for me at least. I would imagine the two main factors for poor quality will be poor download speeds or setting your VPN to a far flung location. The closer your VPN location is to your physical location, the quicker the connection is and the less lag there is. That's why I use Holland as my VPN location as opposed to the east coast of America, for example.

I’ve got a ST and IPTV.

Remember when RTV was free for ST holders? I think Rangers should explore this option again and let people who put their ST up for secondary ticketing watch the game on the pc.

Go home and away, but have got the £5 a month package.

Terrific value for the training videos alone.

I like to watch all sorts of football. Sky and BT are an expense, as are the season tickets. I can't justify the money.

Also, the quality of presenting and product on Rangers TV isn't as high as Sky or BT at the moment.

Just bought it. Can’t get to games due family commitments. Usually go the local pub which uses RTV, however sometimes I just want to sit in house and have been using pishy streams. So this is perfect for me. All I have to do now is work out how to use VPN!

Do Rangers know that I, and a lot of fellow bears do this? Watch the games live using a vpn?

Are they ok with it?
Will they try to crack down on it?

The club may not as it's a bit of an expense to do so, but the rights for showing the game belong to the TV companies when it's a league match, so they may do so.

Back