Reasons for not Subscribing to unlimited RTV

Why don't you have the unlimited RTV subscription?

• I go to every game Home and Away anyway

Votes: 49 7.4%
  • I go to every Home game and watch away on Sky/BT

Votes: 215 32.5%
  • I want to PPV single games as I choose

Votes: 75 11.3%
  • I don't know how a VPN works to set it up

Votes: 100 15.1%
  • I can't afford £17.25 a month

Votes: 147 22.2%
  • I don't know how to watch RTV on my TV

Votes: 59 8.9%
  • I do subscribe for the £17.25 unlimited package

Votes: 122 18.4%
  • I don't think RTV is reliable/value for money

Votes: 21 3.2%

• Total voters
Season ticket holder a pensioner and travel from London for home games.
I would love to have Rangers tv.

Got the £5 one however will upgrade, never bothered in the past due to getting frustrated with VPN in the past. Going to have to do a cull on the cost of the TV this year. BT, Sky, Netflix, Premier, RTV all on top of a dreadful broadband service. Probably about £160 a month.

The quality of the streaming is terrible so I don't subscribe. I have a 10mbs line but the live stream constantly buffers.

A little bit of self-help can go a long way.

For those who missed the many other threads on RangersTV some basic troubleshooting steps if you encounter problems.

Firstly, if it’s buffering try clicking in the icon down in the bottom right if the screen that looks like 4 small boxes. From the pop-up menu change the setting from Auto to the one below, 1080p. If it’s still buffering, do it again and drop to the one below that. If necessary drop to the one below that again - I’ve ended up on 320p before stopping the buffering and, more importantly, I did not see a degradation in my picture quality on a large desktop monitor.

If you still encounter problems look to your own setup. Investigate it. Never mind that other services work fine, something is stopping RangersTV from working. Is it only on your home broadband? Have you tried logging in on your laptop, for example, via someone else's broadband? Have you tried logging into RangersTV on a friends laptop in your home? On their laptop in their home? There is a reason your experience is so bad and to simply lay it at the feet of RangersTV is an easy way out. Try your equipment in another location and then try someone else's equipment in your location and finally someone else's equipment in another location. That would be a good starting point I reckon in ruling out your equipment, your broadband - or both. It might turn out that there's no easy fix - or it might help identify an issue you've hitherto been unaware of. Good Luck if you decide to go for it.

Finally, if you are trying to stream through a smart tv browser you will be very fortunate to get it to work. Firstly, there is the issue of getting a VPN that works on your tv. Then there is the fact that smart tv browsers are notoriously shit for this sort of thing. You might have better luck with a Firestick or similar but the easiest way to get it to a tv is by hooking up a laptop via HDMI or by using Apple TV.

If you want to watch a match (and are a subscriber) do NOT click on the link to purchase the match. There have been a few reports of subscribers being charged twice in such cases. Simply go to the Login page, login and then go to the bit that says 'Show Me Videos About'. Leave the Search box EMPTY and simply click on Search. This brings up a list of videos in date order, most recent first. This will include all the pre-match stuff and a link to the game itself. Enjoy!

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/login

Hope this helps at least one user

For the purpose of this poll I'm going to assume that everyone wants to watch every game home and away. So that means the only option as far as RTV is concerned is the Unlimited £17.25 a month subscription. So the question is why don't you subscribe to that package.

There seems to be a general consensus from people that do subscribe to this package that even though it could be better in some areas, it's still great value for money.
If you really want an accurate poll you need to have an option for people like myself who are pissed off with it being completely unreliable.

If you're one of the folk who pay for Sky/BT/ Premier Sports and use an illegal stream that leaches off the club, can I suggest you pay for RTV and use illegal streams for Sky/ BT/ Premier Sports.

Save yourself money and the embarrassment of paying Sutton or Walker's wages.

If you really want an accurate poll you need to have an option for people like myself who are pissed off with it being completely unreliable.

Fair enough I should have put that option in. I'll add it now but guessing it's too late for that.

The reason I didn't is because I don't think it is unreliable. I have used RTV while living in 4 different locations, while at my Pals, while at my Dad's. Used it on a whole bunch of different phones, laptops and desktops. Used it while on a variety of different broadband providers. In all that time I have never had to watch a buffering game or not in HD.

Sure sometimes I've had to fiddle with my settings but I didn't take into consideration those that don't do that. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky and even trying the normal things to fix it hasn't worked for some but I would find that pretty strange TBH.

*New Option added to poll. Multiple choices are available for anyone who wants to vote for that aswell as their original vote.

I upgraded from £5 to £17.25 to package yesterday and have been billed for both subscriptions today, good to know it will cancel after few days.

Maybe worth sending the Rangers TV email address a wee email to make sure you get your £5 back. Maybe just unfortunate timing and I'm sure the money be refunded automatically, but no harm in emailing anyway.

I know there is a load of great content on it, but £17.50 is a fair chunk. Netflix is about 1/3 of that cost.

I’ve watched a couple of games on RTV and had loads of problems. Buffering and complete lack of connection.

If they are trying to drive subs up, which is clearly the right thing to do, charging a premium cost for a non premium service isn’t ideal.

I’m not currently a premium subscriber, but I know I will be. But just now it seems very expensive.

I know there is a load of great content on it, but £17.50 is a fair chunk. Netflix is about 1/3 of that cost.

I’ve watched a couple of games on RTV and had loads of problems. Buffering and complete lack of connection.

If they are trying to drive subs up, which is clearly the right thing to do, charging a premium cost for a non premium service isn’t ideal.

I’m not currently a premium subscriber, but I know I will be. But just now it seems very expensive.
They lost a potential 7.5k subscribers for each of the 2 biggest games of the season at Ibrox thanks to you

With the news from the SDI court case RTV is even more important to the club. This is a heads up to anyone that hasn't voted or anyone that wants to add a vote to their current one with the new option.

Did you try the troubleshooting I posted above?

I pay the £49 for the year and thinks its great value.
I go to all home game and the away ones I can get tickets for so paying £17.50pm would be just to much when you add it to season tickets, away games and non season ticket home games and the rangers lotto.

Did you try the troubleshooting I posted above?
I tried on a couple of different networks and devices. It just never ran smoothly.

It seams like an awful lot of effort to go to in order to get a stream to work.

It would be easier to stream it via YouTube (an official one of course)

Spend enough as it is on an already overpriced season ticket, Europa League tickets and add on Sky on top of that.

I tried on a couple of different networks and devices. It just never ran smoothly.

It seams like an awful lot of effort to go to in order to get a stream to work.

It would be easier to stream it via YouTube (an official one of course)

Therein lies the problem. The fact that thousands view the stream with no issues, myself included, suggest something at your end. Everybody denies it, citing Netflix working fine or whatever, but there is clearly something ‘incompatible’ somewhere. As I’ve said above, a little trouble-shooting goes a long way. At least you’ve made an effort.

I had issues viewing the St Joseph’s game on a laptop (rather than the desktop I normally use) at my son’s rather than my own home. Both with decent broadband. Constant buffering. Eventually solved by changing the quality settings. Two potential causes - a slightly older, less powerful device or, my son’s suggestion, an issue with the number of devices connected to the router. Seemingly some will only handle 10 devices being connected at the same time - which can soon mount up in a family home. So, I could have come onto FF moaning about a shit stream - but the solution lay with me.

Maybe worth sending the Rangers TV email address a wee email to make sure you get your £5 back. Maybe just unfortunate timing and I'm sure the money be refunded automatically, but no harm in emailing anyway.
I did e mail rtv and they replied within couple hours stating the £5 subscription has now been cancelled, like you say it was bad timing as I upgraded a day before direct debit, no mention of a refund tho , if they do fine if not not bothered , glad I’ve got it sorted for the season ahead !

A little bit of self-help can go a long way.

For those who missed the many other threads on RangersTV some basic troubleshooting steps if you encounter problems.

Firstly, if it’s buffering try clicking in the icon down in the bottom right if the screen that looks like 4 small boxes. From the pop-up menu change the setting from Auto to the one below, 1080p. If it’s still buffering, do it again and drop to the one below that. If necessary drop to the one below that again - I’ve ended up on 320p before stopping the buffering and, more importantly, I did not see a degradation in my picture quality on a large desktop monitor.

If you still encounter problems look to your own setup. Investigate it. Never mind that other services work fine, something is stopping RangersTV from working. Is it only on your home broadband? Have you tried logging in on your laptop, for example, via someone else's broadband? Have you tried logging into RangersTV on a friends laptop in your home? On their laptop in their home? There is a reason your experience is so bad and to simply lay it at the feet of RangersTV is an easy way out. Try your equipment in another location and then try someone else's equipment in your location and finally someone else's equipment in another location. That would be a good starting point I reckon in ruling out your equipment, your broadband - or both. It might turn out that there's no easy fix - or it might help identify an issue you've hitherto been unaware of. Good Luck if you decide to go for it.

Finally, if you are trying to stream through a smart tv browser you will be very fortunate to get it to work. Firstly, there is the issue of getting a VPN that works on your tv. Then there is the fact that smart tv browsers are notoriously shit for this sort of thing. You might have better luck with a Firestick or similar but the easiest way to get it to a tv is by hooking up a laptop via HDMI or by using Apple TV.

If you want to watch a match (and are a subscriber) do NOT click on the link to purchase the match. There have been a few reports of subscribers being charged twice in such cases. Simply go to the Login page, login and then go to the bit that says 'Show Me Videos About'. Leave the Search box EMPTY and simply click on Search. This brings up a list of videos in date order, most recent first. This will include all the pre-match stuff and a link to the game itself. Enjoy!

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/login

Hope this helps at least one user
Honestly, Sundays game is the first time I've tried to lock it to 1080 & it worked a treat. Perfect throughout the whole broadcast. The constant fluctuation in quality really used to rip my knitting as well so thanks to everyone who's suggested that.

Back