Record Penalty Misses

He's missed 3 out of his last 10 - so still 70%. In fact those three are over his last 16 penalties, so that would be a success rate of over 81% in that period of 3 misses. One on Friday, one against Ross County last January and one against Aberdeen the same month.

January is clearly a bad month for Tav taking penalties!:eek::):))

That surprised me tbh, I thought he’d missed more recently.

As a rule I'd go for a striker but I'll never forget Kenny Miller's dreadful straight down the middle miss against Inverness, 2010, ended 1-1. A few months later the latter beat Celtic so the league got won. At the time I thought he'd blown it for us, but we got off with it. SDTM pens should be banned !!!
I’d be interested in your view of a comment I posted earlier.

“It’s an individual skill, in my opinion.
I’m not sure there is a particular position on the pitch that would cover the quality for a better penalty taker than any other.”

That surprised me tbh, I thought he’d missed more recently.
Maybe thinking penalty shoot-outs mate. I edited my post to say I couldn't find the data on them.

Tav's record is very good. He does seem to have misses in batches of two though. Last January being one example, and late Sep/early Oct 19 being another.

I think someone else should be taking pens now after Roofe

Sakala takes them for Zambia,I always like to see a striker hitting pens

If anything it helps with confidence and has the added bonus if inflating their numbers
Ive never liked tav on pens. Causes a sh!t storm on here whenever i say it but theres well better finishers at the club now. i never really feel confident when tav steps up to hit a pen

A question for those who think it should always be the striker:
I played as CF for the main part of my time.
I took the penalties and was quite successful.
So, I needed to drop back to midfield for the last quarter of the season.
We get a penalty.
Should I have deferred to the striker on the day?

Just out of curiosity, if a player has his penalty saved then scores the rebound does that count as a miss or a goal in penalty conversion stats?

Fitbastats site has McCoist scoring 45 penalties.

If he scored 80% of the time (and it won't be higher than that as he missed a few), then he would have missed 11.

45 out of 56 is more or less 80%.

I suspect he missed more than that though.

Not much help to the OP question, I admit.

Would also be interested to know how many of Tav's misses have gone on to cost us in a game. Did he miss the one in the Scottish Cup shootout with St Johnston last season? Don't think there's many others we've gone on to not win.

Would also be interested to know how many of Tav's misses have gone on to cost us in a game. Did he miss the one in the Scottish Cup shootout with St Johnston last season? Don't think there's many others we've gone on to not win.
Can't find stats on shoot-outs but in regular gametime:

Every time he's missed for us we've still won the game, bar a 0-0 draw with Killie in the Scottish Cup when we won the replay.

Last edited:

We lost 1-2 to the Sheep in January last year when Tav missed. Every other time he's missed for us we've still won the game, bar a 0-0 draw with Killie in the Scottish Cup when we won the replay.
We won that game at Aberdeen 2-1, Morelos got both.

We didn't lose to anyone in the league last season!

We won 1-2 at the Sheep in January last year when Tav missed. Every other time he's missed for us we've still won the game, bar a 0-0 draw with Killie in the Scottish Cup when we won the replay.
Good stuff. People may say "lies, damned lies and statistics," but the simple truth is he's a tried and true penalty taker and, barring a string of say 3 misses in a row, should always be taking them.

Fitbastats site has McCoist scoring 45 penalties.

If he scored 80% of the time (and it won't be higher than that as he missed a few), then he would have missed 11.

45 out of 56 is more or less 80%.

I suspect he missed more than that though.

Not much help to the OP question, I admit.
The old spreadsheet that was available had McCoist scoring 53 out of 63 penalties in all games including Glasgow Cup ties and friendlies - a success rate of 84%.

The average success rate I believe is around 76%, can't recall exactly where I saw that stat though, so anything above 76% would, technically, be above average. I'd personally count anything within 5 of that as being within the average range so 71-81% could be considered "average", above that (81) as above average and below it (71) as pish :))

I just don't get why players don't just phucking leather it. All this tippy tappy stuff does my head in. Both Tavs pens were horrible.

Fair to say he 50% for his last two ha ha.:) He's missed 3 out of his last 10 - so still 70%. In fact those three are over his last 16 penalties, so that would be a success rate of over 81% in that period of 3 misses. One on Friday, one against Ross County last January and one against Aberdeen the same month. That's excluding penalty shoot-outs I think.

January is clearly a bad month for Tav taking penalties!:eek::):))
He missed one in the shootout against St Johnstone last season Clark saved it when he tried to go down the middle.

Back