Record Penalty Misses

Deejj206

Official Ticketer
At the game last night we were discussing who had missed the most ever penalties for Rangers in all competitions.

I believe that miss last night takes Tav to 9.

Anyone know who has missed the most?

I’d have thought McCoist would have missed a few over a longer period of time but can’t find the numbers

Tav mostly likely has most misses but yes, most likely down to time in service and number he's taken.

He does have a pretty predictable technique and feel like he rarely, if ever, puts it to keepers left.

Did not look confident at all for his 2nd penno yesterday so should have passed it on imo.

Tav mostly likely has most misses but yes, most likely down to time in service and number he's taken.

He does have a pretty predictable technique and feel like he rarely, if ever, puts it to keepers left.

Did not look confident at all for his 2nd penno yesterday so should have passed it on imo.
It was a poor penalty last night some clubs change the second penalty taker

Agreed regarding his technique and his second penalty. It would have been a perfect opportunity
to try something different in a match situation.

We don’t seem to have an out and out brilliant pen taker.

Tav is quite hit and miss
Roofes run up gives me the fear
Bornas are either superb or shite but he gives me the fear a wee bit too

All the others have only taken one so it’s hard to say

Just looked it up. 33 from 42. I think that an approx miss rate of 1:4. Every pen that goes in is a good pen (so to speak) but the keeper should have also got his first and going for the bottom left corner with your right foot, which I think is his favoured side, always gives the keeper a chance.

I honestly don’t think many other players would have had a much worse record. I would change takers.

Edit: stats are across all his clubs but I think only 1 or 2 are not for us.

Bob McPhail must be close to the top of the list if the info on the attached thread is accurate.

It will, at least, need updated for current players stats but unlikely to change who has missed the most.

There may well be someone who is not included on the attached who has, in fact, missed more than the 13 quoted but I would doubt it.

Thread 'Rangers and Penalty Kicks' https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/rangers-and-penalty-kicks.134669/

Just looked it up. 33 from 42. I think that an approx miss rate of 1:4. Every pen that goes in is a good pen (so to speak) but the keeper should have also got his first and going for the bottom left corner with your right foot, which I think is his favoured side, always gives the keeper a chance.

I honestly don’t think many other players would have had a much worse record. I would change takers.

Edit: stats are across all his clubs but I think only 1 or 2 are not for us.
78% success rate is really good, to be fair

Bob McPhail must be close to the top of the list if the info on the attached thread is accurate.

It will, at least, need updated for current players stats but unlikely to change who has missed the most.

There may well be someone who is not included on the attached who has, in fact, missed more than the 13 quoted but I would doubt it.

Thread 'Rangers and Penalty Kicks' https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/rangers-and-penalty-kicks.134669/
Brilliant from that Bob McPhail is the answer, you’d think some one would have had a word and taken him off the pens!!

For penalties? I'd say it's quite a poor record.
A study of 100,000 penalties showed 75% are scored on average, that doesn’t take context into account with regards the situation to be fair.

Scoring 78% of 42 penalties is pretty good, many of which are high pressure penalties makes it even more impressive - the sheer volume makes that % impressive.

Last edited:
His first penalty was terrible too. Keeper made a mess of it and dived over the ball.

Itten should have taken the 2nd one.
I wanted Itten to hit it as well. Even though he got his goal in the end he’d missed a couple of chances before that.

Reactions: GF1
A study of 100,000 penalties showed on 75% are scored on average, that doesn’t take context into account with regards the situation to be fair.

Scoring 78% of 42 penalties is pretty good, many of which are high pressure penalties makes it even more impressive - the sheer volume makes that % impressive.
Stop making people look like fannies with your blasted "facts" and "statistics" B-D

I think someone else should be taking pens now after Roofe

Sakala takes them for Zambia,I always like to see a striker hitting pens

If anything it helps with confidence and has the added bonus if inflating their numbers
Roofe is the best penalty taker at the club but I’m content with Tav taking them. Tav’s at Dundee Utd at home and Roofe’s at Hibs away were two very high pressure penalties so it’s great we have reliable spot kick takers at the club.

Borna is also an option. I don’t think we’ll ever be in a position this season where we don’t have at least one of them on the park so we can all be confident when we hear those three sweet words “PENALTY TO RANGERS!”

Always confident when Roofe is on the park to take them, only recently I’ve been nervous for Tav stepping up but showed in the big moments he can step up and take them

He scores them when it counts, only one I remember he missed that really cost us was St Johnstone in the cup last season

High pressure games like his several v Aberdeen, or ones in Europe against Maribor, Rapid Vienna, Standard Liege proves he’s got the bottle, maybe he’s too relaxed in games like Stirling Albion at home

Tav missed his first penalty for Rangers in a shoot out in the cup win over Celtic. Other than that he has taken 42 and scored 34 according to Transfermarket.

Back