Record view

Sydneyger65

AFTER a short interruption of only 23 years, Steve Clarke’s squad has put Scotland back where we belong in the footballing firmament.

The festival of football about to kick off across Europe heralds a glorious month in which we can hope for better times ahead for us all.

From the Baku stadium in the east to our own Hampden Park in the far north west, via Munich’s translucent arena and Wembley’s steel arch, Europe is coming alive to the Beautiful Game after a long, bleak lockdown.

That Scotland is taking its place in this Europe of nations is a source of fantastic sporting pride.

The whole country is behind the team on the journey which could, who knows, involve more than one trip to Wembley (ach, we can but dream).

As important as the participation is the symbolism of Scotland coming back into the European home.

As a country, we never voted for Brexit and maintaining the binding ties to our neighbours, through sport, politics and culture, is hugely important.

For a whole generation of young Scots, and older ones who have managed to shake off the post-traumatic distress of 1978, this is going to be an amazing experience.

Two decades is a long time to wait and a generation of schoolkids should not miss this moment in Scotland’s sporting history.

Pupils should not be encouraged to skip lessons but the schools should, just for one day, Nicola, make football a big part of the curriculum and have the game on in class.

The value of the example from sport is not lost on pupils or on the rest of us. We take our cues from our heroes.

That’s why the decision of the squad not to take the knee in solidarity with those who still suffer racism is one which needs reconsideration.

It is not as if Scotland is immune from racism and the issue is as contentious on the field, as our own teams have experienced, as it is across Europe.

The England team, in defiance of some of their booing far-right fans, will take the knee before their matches.

It will not be a good image for our team to look as if they believe in some kind of Scottish exceptionalism, creating a mistaken perception in the eyes of Europe.

There is only one way to make this gesture against racism mean something and it is not to stand, it is to kneel.

It is a small but important and positive stance at the beginning of 90 minutes and a month of magic.

Can someone point out the passage we're meant to be raging at which will save me time from reading the daily fcuking record view?
I don't know about rage. However what has Brexit to do with football.

Constantly told to talk about football. It's not about politics.

Here we have it - Brexit.

Plus for a wee bit of afters - right wing England fans.

You don't have to rage. Just wonder at the hypocrisy

“ booing by far right England fans “ how do they know the political stance of anyone booing ? It could be a centre ground sensible person sick of meaningless symbolism as Conor Goldson himself alluded to after the Kamara incident . People are fed up being told what they can and can’t do and what they should do .

“ booing by far right England fans “ how do they know the political stance of anyone booing ? It could be a centre ground sensible person sick of meaningless symbolism as Conor Goldson himself alluded to after the Kamara incident . People are fed up being told what they can and can’t do and what they should do .

Ageee with this. If you're not left these days you get pigeonholed as extreme right, it's pathetic.

AFTER a short interruption of only 23 years, Steve Clarke’s squad has put Scotland back where we belong in the footballing firmament.

The festival of football about to kick off across Europe heralds a glorious month in which we can hope for better times ahead for us all.

From the Baku stadium in the east to our own Hampden Park in the far north west, via Munich’s translucent arena and Wembley’s steel arch, Europe is coming alive to the Beautiful Game after a long, bleak lockdown.

That Scotland is taking its place in this Europe of nations is a source of fantastic sporting pride.

The whole country is behind the team on the journey which could, who knows, involve more than one trip to Wembley (ach, we can but dream).

As important as the participation is the symbolism of Scotland coming back into the European home.

As a country, we never voted for Brexit and maintaining the binding ties to our neighbours, through sport, politics and culture, is hugely important.

For a whole generation of young Scots, and older ones who have managed to shake off the post-traumatic distress of 1978, this is going to be an amazing experience.

Two decades is a long time to wait and a generation of schoolkids should not miss this moment in Scotland’s sporting history.

Pupils should not be encouraged to skip lessons but the schools should, just for one day, Nicola, make football a big part of the curriculum and have the game on in class.

The value of the example from sport is not lost on pupils or on the rest of us. We take our cues from our heroes.

That’s why the decision of the squad not to take the knee in solidarity with those who still suffer racism is one which needs reconsideration.

It is not as if Scotland is immune from racism and the issue is as contentious on the field, as our own teams have experienced, as it is across Europe.

The England team, in defiance of some of their booing far-right fans, will take the knee before their matches.

It will not be a good image for our team to look as if they believe in some kind of Scottish exceptionalism, creating a mistaken perception in the eyes of Europe.

There is only one way to make this gesture against racism mean something and it is not to stand, it is to kneel.

It is a small but important and positive stance at the beginning of 90 minutes and a month of magic.
Whatver happened to keeping politics out of sport!did wee burnie(nikla) write that jesus!

Looking at the world exclusively through a microscope and think that they're really open minded and liberal. When in fact they're as parochial and small minded as they come.

Goldfish in a bowl that think they can preach from a position of knowledge and wisdom. How depressingly pathetic this country has become.

The daily record is like a guy you see swanning about at a party who thinks he's really popular and on it while everybody else shakes their head at and thinks he's an insufferable prick.

We never voted for independence either but no mention of that.

what a strange article you’d think it had been written by lonely Bill as is his fanzine styling.

The "Don't mix politics with football" crowd only care if it's the wrong kind of politics.

Kinda sums up nicely why I - and just about every Rangers fan I know personally - want Scotland's fitba team to get gubbed in every game.
Feck the daily retard, feck the SFA XI, feck the SNP, and feck taking the knee.

Can someone point out the passage we're meant to be raging at which will save me time from reading the daily fcuking record view?
From the first letter…

I jest, it’s nothing to be angry about. Just another spoilt record view that bleats about not voting for brexit etc.

A load of pish.

Football and politics should never mix and I have no recollection of it doing so in my younger days when I attended World Cup qualifiers at Hampden (Czechoslovakia’77 being a particularly fond memory) or watching the finals on TV from ‘74 onwards but it now, in Scotland at least appears well and truly entwined, with that piece managing to include Brexit and label anyone who disagrees with taking the knee as “right wing”. You just know that if Scotland do in any way well that the after tournament celebrations will be well and truly hijacked and turned into one big SNP rally with Nippy as cheerleader in chief…… I hope they get well and truly gubbed in every game.

Who in their right mind boos their own players? If people are sick of it, I can imagine eye-rolling, maybe even a tut, but booing?

_116881051_gettyimages-452067785.jpg

Who in their right mind boos their own players? If people are sick of it, I can imagine eye-rolling, maybe even a tut, but booing?
It’s not something I’d do but it is up to them . It’s booing , like you get in the panto, they are hardly abusing/throwing stuff onto the park . This is no longer about racism it’s about control “ you will do this “ and plenty have now said enough is enough

May be hypocrisy on my part that despite racism affecting our own team this season I totally get why they're booing. And it's not because they're "far right".

It’s not something I’d do but it is up to them . It’s booing , like you get in the panto, they are hardly abusing/throwing stuff onto the park . This is no longer about racism it’s about control “ you will do this “ and plenty have now said enough is enough
If I was in that situation and my own supporters actively booed me, I’d be tempted to walk off the pitch.
I don’t think players should be made to make any gesture if they don’t want to, but the crowd reaction to this is just wrong,

Someone should let them know that its possible to be outraged by racism........and not kneel at the start of a football game

We will alwyas be outraged at racism, will players kneel before kick off at every game until noone ever uses a monkey emoji to a player again?

If I was in that situation and my own supporters actively booed me, I’d be tempted to walk off the pitch.
I don’t think players should be made to make any gesture if they don’t want to, but the crowd reaction to this is just wrong,
If it’s reached the point that just booing a player is deemed enough to walk off , then there’s no future in it as a spectator sport is there ? Absolute madness that you think this way . What a world we have become

The first time I had ever seen anybody take the knee was a group of American cops just after Floyd’s death.
My first thought was “that’s a bit sick considering how he met his maker.”

Which record prick wrote that piece and who the f uck does he think he is to pontificate on an extremely emotive subject?
Who the f uck does he think he is to tell countless black sportsmen/women that they should be fucking kneeling?

The so called "traumatic distress of 1978" was caused by the hype created by rags like the record. Poor Ally Mcleod was later hung out to dry by the SFA and the Scottish media. World cups of 74, 78, & 82 were great times to live through. Hopefully our younger supporters will get the same opportunity!

Back