Red Star Belgrade issue Rangers plea as Serbian champions hunt for European Cup footage lost in bombing

I was booked to go with the Kinning Park Loyal but took ill the day before departure. One of life's regrets that I missed it, my mate who was there said it was an unbelievable experience
feel your pain -I had a ticket for parc de princes when mcfadden scored and had to pull out cos of a new job.

If I had been sober I could've told them about it but can't remember much apart from massive stadium and bonfires on the terraces
I wish I had drank more before the game.Without doubt the most scared I have ever been at a football game in my life

Still the best atmosphere I've witnessed anywhere abroad, 80k of them going nuts.

Closely followed by the game there in 2007
My young brother was over there and said it was deafening and he's been everywhere. Also said spent a lot of the game dodging lumps of concrete thrown by the Red Star fans although said lumps were thrown back.

Radio Scotland Sportsound did a phone in quiz thing years ago and asked listeners to name a team with a Z that had been in the euro cup final. Obviously they were looking for inter so they could mention the scum. I phoned in with crevna zvezda and pointed out they had 2 ‘Z’s. Needless to say this didn’t suit the narrative of the researcher and it didn’t get accepted. I was raging then but I’d laugh at them now.

PS the Germans call them Rote Sterne, the French Etoile Rouge, english Red Star and they call themselves by the Serbian/Slavic name above. So there’s another quiz question for the ignorant kants at the BBC.

Radio Scotland Sportsound did a phone in quiz thing years ago and asked listeners to name a team with a Z that had been in the euro cup final. Obviously they were looking for inter so they could mention the scum. I phoned in with crevna zvezda and pointed out they had 2 ‘Z’s. Needless to say this didn’t suit the narrative of the researcher and it didn’t get accepted. I was raging then but I’d laugh at them now.

PS the Germans call them Rote Sterne, the French Etoile Rouge, english Red Star and they call themselves by the Serbian/Slavic name above. So there’s another quiz question for the ignorant kants at the BBC.

I'd have been raging as well!

Pretty sure watched the game live in Zhaviagos on Ingram street, it was an early ko like 2pm, stand to be corrected.

Those were the days when you "dreaded" getting one of them teams in the European cups. Be it Yugoslavian or Czech sides. Not that great a name (compared to the Spanish, Italian or German sides) in the world of football, but difficult to play against and always with a lot of talented players. Nowadays, many of the talents are snapped up by western Europe clubs early on though, yet, I was still somewhat surprised how "smoothly" we went past these teams since SG arrived, not least when we played quite a few of them when we had hardly started our seasons.

They were a brilliant team and so were Marseille at the time, just a shame the final was so bad
That final was awful.

I remember sitting down to watch it and rally looking forward to it as well - Red Star were an awesome side, Marseilles equally flamboyant and attacking.

The pair of them just sat in terrified to lose the match in normal time.

Still the best atmosphere I've witnessed anywhere abroad, 80k of them going nuts.

Closely followed by the game there in 2007
All I remember from the game was the lad that I was there on holiday with on the other side of the moat conducting all the bears and keeping us all in tune, we had an absolute blast over there as we got to know their top men after being held at gunpoint in the stadium when we arrived a few days earlier, scary as %^*& but seeing guns and being fired on a regular occasion became quite a regular thing for us that week:eek: the fireworks on the terrace was phenomenal, the atmosphere inside that stadium was the best I’ve ever felt at a game

Back