Red Star preview

SerbianLad

As I said, I did a pretty detailed preview. I hope I didn't forget anything important and that I did;' bore you with tis :)

Intro: Our league is of a pretty poor standard with only two half-decent teams(Red Star and Partizan) and two teams that aren't completely sh*t(Vojvodina and Čukarički), and Red Star look pretty poor in most matches and get the help of referees quite often (our league is very corrupt but that's another story). Yet somehow whenever they play in Europe they look pretty good.
Europa League so far: As you know they topped their group, which tbf wasn't very difficult. Their result against Midtjyland which I saw was mentioned by a few posters needs some context though. They were down to 10 men since the 12th minute and conceded an unlucky own-goal. Red Star was by far the best team in the group.
Playstyle: They are defensively very compact and try to attack teams on the break(they played defensively even against Ludogorets who seem weaker than them on paper). They usually play 4-2-3-1 but without natural wingers(Katai and Ivanic, who are no 10s play on the wing with Kanga between them). Apart from Kanga and Sanogo other players are very slow, and their breaks are more down to excellent passing than to speed.

Coach: Dejan Stanković. One of our most famous players in the recent history, was excellent at Lazio and Inter and he captained our NT. As a manager, he seems like a very good motivator but he is tactically pretty poor. His tactical decisions were the main reason Red Star lost against Omonia and Sheriff in thr last two season. Has a nasty temper as well and always looks like he is close to being sent off because of his behavior on the touchline.

Lineup I expect to see vs Rangers: Same as it was in the derby game against Partizan.

GK:Milan Borjan- Canada NT first choice goalkeeper and vice-captain, Red Star captain. Leader of this team, saved them on numerous occasions in european games. Good shot-stopper, likes to time-waste a lot.
RB: Cristiano Piccini- former Valencia rb, haven't seen much of him but he must be better than their previous rbs. Played well in the derby.
CB: Strahinja Eraković- youth academy product. Still very raw. Potentially a weak-link in the defence, although he had some cracking games in Europe.
CB: Aleksandar Dragović- Plays for Austrian NT. Very composed, confident player. Best cb in our league by a country mile.
LB: Milan Rodić- He is quite liked amongst Red Star supporters but honestly he isn't a really good fullback. Does ok defensively against most teams (especially if they don't have pacy wingers) and once in every 10 games he can whip in a solid cross. Terrible stamina.
DM: Sekou Sanogo- Very good dm, covers a lot of ground, decent passer, decent dribbler. Extremely dirty player though.
DM: Slavoljub Srnic- Very average footballer. Energetic and hardworking but not much else. Can play on both fullback positions,on both wings and all across the midfield. This season he is mostly used as a dm. Pocketed Mane when Red Star beat Liverpool few seasons ago.
AM: Guelor Kanga- Gabon NT player. Can play as an 8 or a 10. The X factor. Honestly on his day, he is unplayable. He destroyed AC Milan in one of the matches last season. He scored a few bangers in Europe too (type Kanga Sparta or Kanga Krasnodar if interested). Excellent passer. When his not having his day than he is one of the worst players on the pitch, loses a ball a lot and tries impossible shots.
Wingers: Aleksandar Katai- technically very gifted, too slow for best leagues in Europe. Apart from Serbia, he only played well in the MLS (before his wife had a racist incident) . Still, he can be quite dangerous because of his dribbling, passing and shooting skills if not careful. Great free-kick taker.
Mirko Ivanić - In my opinion, Red Star's best player. I'm shocked Red Star managed to keep him. Their only player that could play in top five leagues apart from Dragović. Best dribbler, passer and shooter at the club. Terrific footballer. Was linked with Rangers if I remember correctly.
ST: Ohi Omoujiuanfo- New striker signing from Molde. Scored 27 in 29 last season with 2 assists in Norwegian league. Should add desperately needed firepower.

Subs: Liverpool win hero-Pavkov, Comoros national team vice-captain and highest scoring foreigner in Serbian league history Ben Nabouhane, Italian 10/winger-Falco, ex Sampdoria midfielder Krstičić, new signing from Bayern Nemanja Motika(talented winger) and a cb if they are leading- Radovan Pankov(reckless player) are players that may come of the bench/surprisingly start.

Conclusion: They will be probably be tough to break down, especially at home. They struggle against pace, and their attackers are slow too. You'll need to be very careful with the corners and free-kicks, they are excellent in that department. I think you've got a pretty good chance of going through, but Red Star will fancy their chances too, because they, just like Rangers, beat/drawn much better teams than their opponent in the recent years.

Good luck, I think it will be a good game, and the atmosphere should be cracking in both games. If you have any further questions about Red Star/Serbia feel free to ask.

Thanks Serbian Lad.

I think what you say about Red Star being better on the counter attack points to this being a tight tie as we are the same.

Looking forward to it.

As I said, I did a pretty detailed preview. I hope I didn't forget anything important and that I did;' bore you with tis :)

Intro: Our league is of a pretty poor standard with only two half-decent teams(Red Star and Partizan) and two teams that aren't completely sh*t(Vojvodina and Čukarički), and Red Star look pretty poor in most matches and get the help of referees quite often (our league is very corrupt but that's another story). Yet somehow whenever they play in Europe they look pretty good.
Europa League so far: As you know they topped their group, which tbf wasn't very difficult. Their result against Midtjyland which I saw was mentioned by a few posters needs some context though. They were down to 10 men since the 12th minute and conceded an unlucky own-goal. Red Star was by far the best team in the group.
Playstyle: They are defensively very compact and try to attack teams on the break(they played defensively even against Ludogorets who seem weaker than them on paper). They usually play 4-2-3-1 but without natural wingers(Katai and Ivanic, who are no 10s play on the wing with Kanga between them). Apart from Kanga and Sanogo other players are very slow, and their breaks are more down to excellent passing than to speed.

Coach: Dejan Stanković. One of our most famous players in the recent history, was excellent at Lazio and Inter and he captained our NT. As a manager, he seems like a very good motivator but he is tactically pretty poor. His tactical decisions were the main reason Red Star lost against Omonia and Sheriff in thr last two season. Has a nasty temper as well and always looks like he is close to being sent off because of his behavior on the touchline.

Lineup I expect to see vs Rangers: Same as it was in the derby game against Partizan.

GK:Milan Borjan- Canada NT first choice goalkeeper and vice-captain, Red Star captain. Leader of this team, saved them on numerous occasions in european games. Good shot-stopper, likes to time-waste a lot.
RB: Cristiano Piccini- former Valencia rb, haven't seen much of him but he must be better than their previous rbs. Played well in the derby.
CB: Strahinja Eraković- youth academy product. Still very raw. Potentially a weak-link in the defence, although he had some cracking games in Europe.
CB: Aleksandar Dragović- Plays for Austrian NT. Very composed, confident player. Best cb in our league by a country mile.
LB: Milan Rodić- He is quite liked amongst Red Star supporters but honestly he isn't a really good fullback. Does ok defensively against most teams (especially if they don't have pacy wingers) and once in every 10 games he can whip in a solid cross. Terrible stamina.
DM: Sekou Sanogo- Very good dm, covers a lot of ground, decent passer, decent dribbler. Extremely dirty player though.
DM: Slavoljub Srnic- Very average footballer. Energetic and hardworking but not much else. Can play on both fullback positions,on both wings and all across the midfield. This season he is mostly used as a dm. Pocketed Mane when Red Star beat Liverpool few seasons ago.
AM: Guelor Kanga- Gabon NT player. Can play as an 8 or a 10. The X factor. Honestly on his day, he is unplayable. He destroyed AC Milan in one of the matches last season. He scored a few bangers in Europe too (type Kanga Sparta or Kanga Krasnodar if interested). Excellent passer. When his not having his day than he is one of the worst players on the pitch, loses a ball a lot and tries impossible shots.
Wingers: Aleksandar Katai- technically very gifted, too slow for best leagues in Europe. Apart from Serbia, he only played well in the MLS (before his wife had a racist incident) . Still, he can be quite dangerous because of his dribbling, passing and shooting skills if not careful. Great free-kick taker.
Mirko Ivanić - In my opinion, Red Star's best player. I'm shocked Red Star managed to keep him. Their only player that could play in top five leagues apart from Dragović. Best dribbler, passer and shooter at the club. Terrific footballer. Was linked with Rangers if I remember correctly.
ST: Ohi Omoujiuanfo- New striker signing from Molde. Scored 27 in 29 last season with 2 assists in Norwegian league. Should add desperately needed firepower.

Subs: Liverpool win hero-Pavkov, Comoros national team vice-captain and highest scoring foreigner in Serbian league history Ben Nabouhane, Italian 10/winger-Falco, ex Sampdoria midfielder Krstičić, new signing from Bayern Nemanja Motika(talented winger) and a cb if they are leading- Radovan Pankov(reckless player) are players that may come of the bench/surprisingly start.

Conclusion: They will be probably be tough to break down, especially at home. They struggle against pace, and their attackers are slow too. You'll need to be very careful with the corners and free-kicks, they are excellent in that department. I think you've got a pretty good chance of going through, but Red Star will fancy their chances too, because they, just like Rangers, beat/drawn much better teams than their opponent in the recent years.

Good luck, I think it will be a good game, and the atmosphere should be cracking in both games. If you have any further questions about Red Star/Serbia feel free to ask.
Good post mate , can I ask what red star fans take on prodistants , I want to ask a female red star fan for marriage I need a Serbian passport am sick of this shithole

Good post mate , can I ask what red star fans take on prodistants , I want to ask a female red star fan for marriage I need a Serbian passport am sick of this shithole
1ab702a5fe9401b88827d8669b95fbbd_w200.gif

They are defensively very compact . Well Rangers have plenty experience playing against these tactics.

Great post thanks for taking the time!

Kanga seems to be the one to keep an eye on

Edit: SerbianLad was looking up kanga and this one of the top hits google

how did this end up? looking more was it the just sour grapes from Congo haha

the lad Omoujiuanfo looks good also but Ive been burned on here too many times every player looks good on youtube haha

Last edited:
Great post thanks for taking the time!

Kanga seems to be the one to keep an eye on

Edit: SerbianLad was looking up kanga and this one of the top hits google

how did this end up? looking more was it the just sour grapes from Congo haha

the lad Omoujiuanfo looks good also but Ive been burned on here too many times every player looks good on youtube haha
I don't know about his real age, but if he is 40+ hats off to him, he is super fit for his age :)
The investigation was completed I believe, and the final verdict was that there was nothing wrong with his age.

Ohi looks good so far, but he's yet to play in a european game so we'll see how good he actually is when Red Star plays against you. Our league is of shocking quality.

Basically our weakness then. Set pieces.

This tie is going to be a lot like Slavia, were people thinking we got and easy draw only to get a bit of a rude awakening. Going to be a tough gritty game.
Yeah you need to be very careful not to give away too many set pieces. Katai can easily score from a free kick and him, Kanga and Ivanic have excellent cross quality.

Ohi looks good so far, but he's yet to play in a european game so we'll see how good he actually is when Red Star plays against you. Our league is of shocking quality.
Thats what I like to hear! haha cheers for the info dude

Basically our weakness then. Set pieces.

This tie is going to be a lot like Slavia, were people thinking we got and easy draw only to get a bit of a rude awakening. Going to be a tough gritty game.
Slavia Prague is a much, much better team. They are uncomparable. Slavia Prague is classes over the serbians...

Slavia Prague is a much, much better team. They are uncomparable. Slavia Prague is classes over the serbians...
I agree that Slavia is a better team, but you shouldn't really underestimate Red Star. They drew AC Milan twice last year in the KO round of Europa League while playing last 20ish minutes of both games with 10 men. Few seasons ago, they beat Liverpool 2-0 in Champions league and drew with Napoli. Their players are of average quality, but they are hardworking and know how to defend well.

I agree that Slavia is a better team, but you shouldn't really underestimate Red Star.
Yes . There is no doubt Slavia Prague is a much better team.

We of course should not underestimate RS. :)

Serbianlad, are there interesting games in the region (Serbia or near countries) that could be attended in the weekend after out away game against RS? Games with good atmosphere and interesting home club :)

Last edited:
Yes . There is no doubt Slavia Prague is a much better team.

We of course should not underestimate RS. :)

Serbianlad, are there interesting games in the region (Serbia or near countries) that could be attended in the weekend after out away game against RS? Games with good atmosphere :)
In Serbia, not really. Seats are half empty at best when it's not the eternal derby, apart from when Partizan or Red Star play Vojvodina, which sometimes gathers more fans.

As for other countries, there's a Hajduk vs Dinamo Zagreb match in Croatia on 12th. That's the Croatian "Eternal derby".

In Serbia, not really. Seats are half empty at best when it's not the eternal derby, apart from when Partizan or Red Star play Vojvodina, which sometimes gathers more fans.

As for other countries, there's a Hajduk vs Dinamo Zagreb match in Croatia on 12th. That's the Croatian "Eternal derby".

But the game in Croatia is before our game.

What about a game in Montenegro, Skopje? They are so close to your country.
Or Levski Sofia for example :rolleyes:

Last edited:

But the game in Croatia is before our game.

What about a game in Montenegro, Skopje? They are so close to your country.
Or Levski Sofia for example :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, I had the home and away games mixed up, sorry mate.
Watching Montenegrin league is the same as watching Andorran league, i.e. pointless. Quality is appalling. As for the Macedonian league, their last round will be played this week. Don't know their system they probably have play-offs or something since it ends so early.

No pro mate. Thanks again. Macedonia and Montenegro is not worth it.

And finally what about Levski Sofia in that case?

Last edited:

Great read, thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting. I think it will be a pretty tight tie with not a lot of goals tbh. 1-0 win for us at Ibrox and 1-1 draw away for me.

Greetings from Down Under (well, I'm writing a post from Dubai airport )! In couple of days time I'm heading to Glasgow to watch Red Star play your boys, but in saying that I would be very keen on catching up with some of you boys and discuss football over couple of pints on Wednesday night in Glasgow. Quick look up at Google shows that Alfie's Sports Bar might be a good choice to watch Liverpool Inter. Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and if anyone is keen on couple of cold ones on Wednesday night, send me PM. Although Serbian Lad gave you a thorough information about strengths and weaknesses of Red Star, I'll be more than happy to discuss finer details and reminisce about the past (as a matter of fact I was in Champions League final in Bari 1991, when we became European champions). Cheers!

Greetings from Down Under (well, I'm writing a post from Dubai airport )! In couple of days time I'm heading to Glasgow to watch Red Star play your boys, but in saying that I would be very keen on catching up with some of you boys and discuss football over couple of pints on Wednesday night in Glasgow. Quick look up at Google shows that Alfie's Sports Bar might be a good choice to watch Liverpool Inter. Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and if anyone is keen on couple of cold ones on Wednesday night, send me PM. Although Serbian Lad gave you a thorough information about strengths and weaknesses of Red Star, I'll be more than happy to discuss finer details and reminisce about the past (as a matter of fact I was in Champions League final in Bari 1991, when we became European champions). Cheers!
Plenty better places for you than Alfie’s Sports bar mate.

On paper its probably the easier draw we could get because its the cheapest squad value across all the teams still in the competition but it is going to be far from an easy game.

I expect it be aggressive, physical. I expect them to counter attack but by the sounds of it they are not blessed with a lot pace, which is good because Tav, Bassey and Goldson are blessed with good pace.

We just need to improve on what we are doing on the SPL, we need to be more aggressive, we need to be more clinical in front of goal. We need to improve our passing. There were times in the second half were our first touch passing and moving was back to its best. Then we go and play a horrific second half against Motherwell and that awful display against St Johnstone. I am not going to be too critical of the passing against St Johnstone because that pitch was one of the worst I have seen but the desire and fight was lacking in that display.

This gives me the fear.

"You'll need to be very careful with the corners and free-kicks, they are excellent in that department."

We need to take at least a two goal lead to Belgrade to go through in my opinion

I did a rough translation of Dejan Stankovic's press conference after today's 5-0 win against
Novi Pazar. Obviously I only translated the part related to Rangers game.

"I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Glasgow on its 155th birthday. I expect a strong match. Why? We have nothing to lose, we achieved the goals we set before the start of the season. We are not relaxed, but concentrated. We have to be concentrated in order to get a good result (in Glasgow) and try to go through the next round with the help of a full stadium in the return match. "

" I know, a lot of Rangers players. We did a good scouting, I don't know what will happen on Thursday and which team will pick. I wouldn't talk about names, but they showed that they have a great counter-attack and transition from a good defensive block . They have a lot of fast players, who attack the space from the block. They showed it against Dortmund. They knew what they were doing for entire 90 minutes, they were sometimes in a subordinate position, but they were waiting for Dortmund to leave them space."

" There are no favorites in this season's Europa League. Come on, tell me who was the favorite between Dortmund and Rangers? We will do everything we can to have equal chances throughout both matches. Although they play at home, it will be very difficult for them. "

Back