Referee Brian McGinley trying to cost Rangers the League cup.

ThorntonMM

Awarding Scumdee Utd an indirect free kick in the Rangers penalty box in the final minute of the 1984 League cup final. Clearly making up the rules to suit himself.
McGinley is another of those Ex Refs often hired for speakers nights where he uses his routine to brag of how he used to aid Rangers.:rolleyes:
Nothing could be further from the truth..

Way back in the 80s, might have been very early 90s, I saw him a few times wearing a red, white and blue tracksuit. Obviously wasnt a Rangers one but was our colours.

We did. Ian Ferguson.

I remember McGinlay refusing to red card McGrain (already) booked for scything down Gordon Dalziel in a game at Ibrox.

It was raining heavily, and as he ran towards the edge of the box where the foul was committed, he had his hand in his pocket for his cards, realised it was McGrain, then bottled it. All the Bears around me were going ballistic at such a cowardly and disgraceful decision.

McGinley was more incompetent, I knew a Man in Black that never Refereed a Rangers defeat, told me when Refs had to do their Pre Season work out he was always at the Coos Tail, and just got through his fitness test.

I know him (He's a friend of my dad). He was not biased against us.

Can't remember the exact rule in 84, but it could have been more than 4 steps

I know him (He's a friend of my dad). He was not biased against us.

Can't remember the exact rule in 84, but it could have been more than 4 steps
That used to be the case.
i could count on one hand how many times I saw this penalised though.

Did McGinlay not get done for some deviant frolicking in a public toilet?

Was it not a sports club with sauna down Yoker way....if these details become to accurate can I ask for any legal support in the Lounge ?

I was once at a sportsman's dinner and McGinley was speaking at it. He is right up there with Tam McManus as the most shitty, unfunny, cringe- inducing speaker i have had the displeasure to see.

David Slyme at Hampden on March 18th, 1978 in the LC final v the filth takes some beating.

John Greig swings a cross over from the left flank and DJ knocks in for a goal.

Slyme then disallows the goal apparently on the grounds that JG had illegally left the park.

What happened is what you see in every game, every week. In swinging over the cross, his momentum took him over the line. I might be wrong but I think he booked John Greig for ungentlemanly conduct.

Utter cheating scum, the lot of them.

Someone must be able to get a hold on this one because there are TV highlights of it. No question.

its not paranoia when the facts are right in front of you.
Behave yerself. Too many people have spent too much time watching tv with every angle for all decisions.

Here's a fact, rangers were dire at that time, I dont even remember this and to be honest I'd forgot about mcginley.

Behave yerself. Too many people have spent too much time watching tv with every angle for all decisions.

Here's a fact, Rangers were dire at that time, I dont even remember this and to be honest I'd forgot about mcginley.

Here's something for you to ponder.

Who gives a gnat's chuff if you remember these incidents or not? As someone else pointed out, it's hard to be paranoid when the facts are openly staring you in the face?

As for being dire? The example I pointed out ,regards David Syme was the first part of Rangers 4th treble.

December's win and calling out the officiating after a win was the correct call and needs to continue to be the correct call. Too easy when the glory days return to ever accept decades old dubious at best officiating

Here's something for you to ponder.

Who gives a gnat's chuff if you remember these incidents or not? As someone else pointed out, it's hard to be paranoid when the facts are openly staring you in the face?

As for being dire? The example I pointed out ,regards David Syme was the first part of Rangers 4th treble.
Away and hire a private detective then. Sure there'll be Tim's out there can give you someone to get in touch with.

I'm on about a video from 1984 and if we were anywhere near a treble then,please remind me. In fact, did we even finish 3rd.

I’ve often quoted this incident on FF.
From memory(and it’s pretty shite)
I think the six second rule had been recently introduced and McGinlay couldn’t wait to penalise McCloy.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it punished since.

I think the six second rule had been recently introduced and McGinlay couldn’t wait to penalise McCloy.

I don’t think Izvestia ever seen it punished since.

that rule was introduced in 1997 and modified to 6 seconds in 98.

Away and hire a private detective then. Sure there'll be Tim's out there can give you someone to get in touch with.

I'm on about a video from 1984 and if we were anywhere near a treble then,please remind me. In fact, did we even finish 3rd.

Point me to where I said we were near a treble a treble in 84? The incident I mentioned happened in 78.

And if you think I'm going to waste any more of my time on someone who can't even read a post (#21) properly when there is sunshine to be had, then I think not.

You think showing clear, hard evidence is paranoia, especially when some of these episodes happen only to be upheld against Rangers, then thank fc_ck I don't have any Rangers supporting pals like you.

He used to come into reids bar,hope st,after games,along with all the players from rangers,and from other clubs.no surrender w.a.t.p

Point me to where I said we were near a treble a treble in 84? The incident I mentioned happened in 78.

And if you think I'm going to waste any more of my time on someone who can't even read a post (#21) properly when there is sunshine to be had, then I think not.

You think showing clear, hard evidence is paranoia, especially when some of these episodes happen only to be upheld against Rangers, then thank fc_ck I don't have any Rangers supporting pals like you.
I was responding to the the post at the top of the thread. In fact I didnt even see your post as I was writing out the one i did post.

So chill out and have a beer.

David Slyme at Hampden on March 18th, 1978 in the LC final v the filth takes some beating.

John Greig swings a cross over from the left flank and DJ knocks in for a goal.

Slyme then disallows the goal apparently on the grounds that JG had illegally left the park.

What happened is what you see in every game, every week. In swinging over the cross, his momentum took him over the line. I might be wrong but I think he booked John Greig for ungentlemanly conduct.

Utter cheating scum, the lot of them.

Someone must be able to get a hold on this one because there are TV highlights of it. No question.
I don’t remember the incident you refer to but Greig might have been judged to have been offside and that may have been the correct decision. Davie Syme was decent, as was his father Willie.
I recall two similar incidents in important games where the officials wrongly allowed goals against Rangers.
The first was a game v Dortmund at Ibrox in 1966 when Sigi Held went to the bye-line and played the ball into the box then fell into the photographers. A Dortmund player shot wide of the goal and Held came back onto the pitch to control the ball on the bye-line and cross low for a tap-in.
The second occasion was the 6-2 game at Parkhead in 2000. Sutton scored Celtic’s first goal by stepping back onto the pitch at the goalpost to turn the ball into the net. Klos was on the deck by the 6-yard line and only Billy Dodds was on the goal line at the other post.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it punished since.
He wasn't even time wasting though.

I'm sorry, but this has got tim paranoia of the 90s written all over it.

Going back to the 80s. Come on
It appears to me to be nothing more than a discussion reminiscing some pretty poor decisions, and proof the mentally challenged paranoia was just that, paranoia.

I don't see anyone putting together a gofundme page to have him followed to see if he is a member of Opus dei, although if there is an appetite for it, I'll knock one up! ;)

It appears to me to be nothing more than a discussion reminiscing some pretty poor decisions, and proof the mentally challenged paranoia was just that, paranoia.

I don't see anyone putting together a gofundme page to have him followed to see if he is a member of Opus dei, although if there is an appetite for it, I'll knock one up! ;)
I know that mate. I remember the private detective stuff. It was hilarious, all you could offer them was the phone number for a recommended quack. Even the less paranoid mentally challengeds were embarrassed by it.

Awarding Scumdee Utd an indirect free kick in the Rangers penalty box in the final minute of the 1984 League cup final. Clearly making up the rules to suit himself.
McGinley is another of those Ex Refs often hired for speakers nights where he uses his routine to brag of how he used to aid Rangers.:rolleyes:
Nothing could be further from the truth..
My first cup final

Spoke to him in Retox in Pattaya at the last game against the yahoos.He was in the Rangers end of the pub,cheering on the bears though strangely he thought Clancy had a decent game.

I once saw David Syme sitting in the Govan stand. I can't remember who we were playing but it looked like the fans in that area either didn't notice him or just weren't bothered by his presence.

Back